Flu season and related topics

Health

Re: Flu season and related topics

Postby smitty on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm

At my age I could be one of the many of the older people that can have a free flu shot.

I did this some years ago & from then on I pay for it at the drug store. FOR I noted to many of the older people had colds, running noses, sneezing & such.l

Though admit my den is also my bedroom & come winter time, which has been here for some weeks, in changing over to my antique like flannel bed gown I am chilled & can have a running nose or sneezing, but once undr the blankets & such-----I am sort of in my heaven & in a few minutes I will go off to sleep being proof that I do not toss around or long time before I fall asleep to wake up to the radio alarm.
smitty

Postby smitty on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 pm

There I must agree with you CielOnTap for basically supper is tomato soup & along with one slice of bread that is the full supper for me along with some peaches or in Summer time it will be an apple for dessert.

Now I have to have my Epilepsy medication, but add Viteman C to also viteman D along wih one that sorts of helps out with my left hip that was injured.

That injury is effected in the winter time, SO I have a thin wool blanket folded up & over the hip area that gives me a bit of warmth to that very hip area.

So proof that I do not toss around---sleep to me is simply sleep & injoy it from start to when I wake up in the morning.

Allow me to tell you a strange one. I had the window of this old 1912 house open at the top as I like fresh air. Fell to sleep as usual, but woke up to some strange crunching sort of sound. Sat up a bit to note the snow storm was comming from the north directly into my bedroom, so I was covered with snow & the complete room was smeared with snow, to even my desk on the other side. Later on I noted it was cold enough that my India Ink, in a drawer, I used for sketching was also frozen. Yes slight change in loweing that window from then & on.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Do vitamins C and D prevent the flu?

The simple answer right now is: no.

However, I believe in vitamins C and D as essential vitamins that, at healthy levels, can slow the progression of a viral infection. But there’s no clear indication that these vitamins are preventative, and therefore, they cannot be equated to the flu shot and good hygiene.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/1 ... p=HPBucket

I already take a C capsule and D is included in my multi vitamin. When sick I usually take extra C and cold or cough tablets. I did buy a cold/flu tablets combo pack just in case the flu decided to pay me a visit. It's hitting N. America hard this year and thought it would be a good idea to have it around.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 pm

CielOnTap,

Those are good tips, for supper it is a good soup. Mind you when I got the shot for the flu, we were told over the media THAT is was only good for part of the time.

So along with soup, to washing hands & fortunately I am not near others that are continually coughing & sneezing. I do enough of the latter two at home.

Mind you several years ago or even a bit earlier I was using a sort of pill in the mouth that gives me constant breathing into my lungs & out again. The Drug store found to obtain them again they would have to obtain more then a years supply, so are trying to obtain the same from some other drug store.

When I said it made the difference of best of breather into my lungs one mention HALLS Menththol if extra strength, I purchasesed two of them to see if they work. They do & the other day I purchased another three of them. Believe me in having perfect breathing in & out is THAT important to me. True I keep the temp down in the basement, though better upstairs, but only use the upstaris to make up a supper & have it. DOWN in the cooler basement is my sort of hang out. WHERE I continue to take that Hallswith with extra Menthol & I stay away from some that have a bit of sugar in them.

I have gone to school, played outside in the cold weather, was a keen skier to training for comp speed skating & during those time I have been fortunate enough to NOT have the flu. A running nose, frozen fingers, toes, cheek bones, nose to ears due to the time ouotside or the means or work ior sport.

Though admit when just a young kid to young to go to school. I lost my mitts & my late Mother saw the all blue hands she chopped up some ice to put my hands into them. Possitly the cure for she use to live out in a farm, with two brothers & two sisters so their mother had her ways of helping them to survive. To think even in the very cold days all three of them would mount one horse & ride to school, but seeing the teacher had not started up, or teacher to be doing this, they turned around to ride back to their farm pretty far in the norther part of Saskatchewan.
smitty

Postby testzone on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm

5 things to do (and 5 not to) if you have the flu

It may have started with a cough or a sneeze, or you may feel like someone beat you with a stick. Achy muscles, respiratory symptoms and a sudden fever all point to influenza and you – or your child – are down for the count. Here are five things you can do, and five that are probably a waste of time.

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013 ... e=obinsite

Knock on wood, that the flu has missed me so far, BUT I am prepared in case it comes a knocking
at my door. I read somewhere that the cough can linger for up to 18 days, and that really sucks.
testzone

Postby smitty on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am

Seems my flu shot was many months ago. So have to wonder if it is still doing it's job for on the news was that many receiveing the flu shot, so long ago, it would wear out in time. Not a good thing to hear or read over the media only a few days after receiveing the flu shot.

For a number of years I have always had Halls Menthol Extra Strength for how many years & still keep on using it FOR I am able to breath down & out of my lungs in perfection. When yrs before I suffered with a nose partially stuffed & so lousy breathing.
smitty

Postby southernfry on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm

People with serious egg allergies may no longer have to worry about flu shots.

A federal advisory panel on Thursday said a new vaccine that's made without eggs is an option for adults with severe allergies. Most current flu shots are made from viruses grown in eggs and could trigger allergic reactions in some cases.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/severe-eg ... 6C10397922

And if it does trigger an allergic reaction, the lawsuits will pile up fast.

The regular shot causes some to feel like they have a mild form of the flu for a day or so, still remains to see if this will do that as well.
Running to the border for bbq sauce
southernfry

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:52 pm

When researchers note indications that what is thought to be the way to a universal vaccine actually triggers a response that impedes such a vaccine from working, it is worth considering the news. There was a realization that vaccinated pigs were likely to experience a respiratory issue as the result of exposure to different strains of influenza.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/pig-study-raises-universal-flu-vaccine-red-flag
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Sneezing-there's a great item about someone who did recent studies about it. Like the fact that using your sleeve to block the sneezes cause the sneeze to go into two directions. (But do keep covering your mouth regardless!). Since the temperatures have been dipping for fall, sneezes/allergies/colds are worthy matters to attend to.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/fyi-how-forceful-sneeze
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby Surgeonsoul on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

A growing battleground to win over customers in Canada’s drug stores is at the point at which a needle meets the skin of your arm.

It’s estimated only about a third of Canadians get a yearly flu shot, but as this season breaks retailers such as Rexall and Shoppers Drug Mart are doing a heavy marketing push to consumers who find it more convenient to get a vaccine from their closest pharmacist than make a doctor’s appointment.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... at-a-time/

It's turning into big business and why not. Faster, easier, more convenient, and after all who really wants to sit around in a Doctor's waiting room with sick people? More likely you will pick it up while waiting your turn in the small crowded waiting room.
Surgeonsoul
Starting Member
Starting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Health