Sweeping away life's excess

Health

Re: Sweeping away life's excess

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Cleaning up things-recording receipt amounts and recycling receipts; making a list of some prices for future reference; deleting some old emails (trying to do that 2 times per month); emptying the recycling bag into the blue box and sorting items. I'm not a fan of empty containers and jars accumulating on a countertop after they have been rinsed or washed--they have to move on to the recycling bag for daily emptying or better yet, travel into the blue box on my next walk past them.

A place for everything and everything in its place. Philosophy really works after a turn at dishwashing--I like to see things moved along and counterspace clear of clutter.

A clump of dryer lint in the vent in the exiting portion of the vent pipe was the culprit of a recent observation that dryer was running hotter than usual. So the annual cleanup happened and the vacuuming and everything seemed fine. Given that I have switched brands of fabric softener sheets, the colour change of the lint indicated the likely cause of the buildup was the current brand. Might have to check again when we going into fall for any lint buildup before we prepare for the frost and winter.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 pm

24 days into the Northern Hemisphere's summer and I have noticed that the sun seems quite dim prior to 9:00 pm. So far summer's obliged with ideal ice cream treat weather and a run on cold beverages due to the high C's temperature-wise.

Only a limited amount of cleaning and recycling has happened this summer beyond the usual collection stuff. Moving items around only works for so long before some of them must go on to new homes or new purposes.

Have some recipe pages and newspaper articles to file away into binders.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Fall or spring (for the people in the Southern Hemisphere) cleaning time is here. There are items to put away after cleaning and other things to bring out for the change of seasons.

Is painting a room a priority? How about doing all of those little repair jobs that will make daily life a little easier? Or a big repair job that will bring some calmness back once the task is done?

Maybe you have to schedule the time to get those chores done. A calendar would help and so would some extra help if you can arrange it.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Can't afford a long distance phone plan anymore so am looking at the prepaid options or other ways to get long distance. Network system charge to have a rate plan is just another fee that is taxable.

Gosh, money's harder to earn but easy to spend. Phone cards are part of my fall cleanup plan.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby smitty on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Ciel, the days are nice in this Okanagan Valley, we are waiting for rain we have been lacking most of the year, but not the evnings are starting to become cold.

Yes I have gone to bolltom being a lint sheet instead of normal cotton. Though know in a while it will require a wool blancket or possibly the addition of an upper lint sheet, for my room is kept cool, especially the basement I live in most of my time.

Guess that also means shutting of the water to the back & front, outdoor, water lines, so that any cold weather will NOT mean frozen water lines come spring.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Back to email rejuvenation--take a look at contacts and group lists that you have in your account. Are there people who have dropped off being in touch? Do you have lists that don't apply anymore? Time to delete the unused contacts and expire the old lists. Then when you compose your next email, you won't worry if a group or someone you no longer speak to accidently gets your message.

Besides, sometimes email account features get forgotten about. Poke around your options, update your password, refresh the background wallpaper, and delete unnecessary e-mails and archived ones. There! Freshness in a box, Internet style.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue May 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Old magazine back issues-are you actually using them or have they acquired purpose as doorstoppers, room fillers, and dust bunny hotels? Take the time to leaf through those issues and ask yourself is anything actually useful in them now? Wouldn't you like to put that shelf or storage space or spot into better use?

On the weekend, a family member allowed me to reduce some late 80s and early 90s cooking magazines into blue box contributions. So I removed pages of ads and recipes and tips that are of current interest and bagged the leftovers for the recycling. A few hours of time for that step--now is the step of actually clipping the pages down to the recipes that will be glued or punched into a binder for use as a "new" cookbook. Yes, there will section dividers, using some of the glossy covers to separate main courses from desserts, salads, and tips. Gourmet magazine had some wonderful columnists as well so I saved their writings for culinary inspiration and reading, along with a few of the travel features (shops, recipes, day excursion adventures).

It was fun to look at clothing, kitchen appliances and cars from the 80s and 90s. One got more than one gets now in those consumer goods. There were those catchy Columbian Coffee ads featuring Juan Valdez and the burro in a crossword puzzle, coloured dot image and one more graphic.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun May 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Here I am still working through the clippings of recipes from the magazines-taking out the unnecessary recipes due to space/exotic ingredients not likely to be stocked in the kitchen. Then the pasting or punching of pages>into a binder they will go. Found several summer-type recipes for using up zucchini (now that I love the young vegetables sauteed) or herbs in salads. Saved a few international dishes just in case something special is desired-there won't be a wait for a table but there will be a wait while the cook assembles and gets the food done!

Yes, there are several pies/tarts saved as well, plus simpler and quick desserts for when the tummy rumbles must be soothed in 20min or less.

This binder will complement the other one containing recipes from another magazine series.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Last year's recipes culled from back issues remain a project on hiatus. Have to tackle them later this weekend before the next issue of a food magazine comes out (Wednesday).

Intrepid sibling has remedied the falling apart sewing cabinet with some screws. Might be lovely if he'd reconnect the plug for the pedal back to the underside of the metal sewing machine...unless I part with money, my mother intends to keep using the metal Kenmore machine. Sibling also replaced the light switch receptacle and power outlet receptacles so that they lie flush (relatively speaking) with the wall and are now white, matching the other light switch on the wall, compared to what the tradespeople left when they reassembled the fixtures when the wall came forward last fall.

To make way for the return of the sewing machine cabinet in my sewing area, the cutting table (1970s dining table) had to be taken apart and put against the wall so the cabinet has plug access and a nook of its own. Now my computer table, wobbly, and that cabinet do not have an adequate cutting area for anything bigger than 12" pieces of fabrics. Guess the floor, with a blanket dropcloth, will do for a large fabric cutting session. I'm sure there is a foldup cardboard grid assembly but paper products don't tend to like damp basements.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Sat May 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Laundry day Saturday and some housekeeping tasks like wall-washing and sweeping corners are my "things to do" right now. These things do take dedicated focus. Sure, I would love to swan about a mall and have nice lunch in a restaurant but you know, upkeep makes a home a home, not a facsimile of the municipal waste disposal station.

Sometimes when I go through the paper flyers from the mail and from things I bring home, I keep thinking how are we to keep track of all this information? Will my life still be able to miss all these special offers? I could use a chalkboard to tally up the week's specials I'm missing out on and say calculate the retail sales value with taxes included of these specials. There will be a financial surprise when I see the number.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

PreviousNext

Return to Health