Sweeping away life's excess

Health

Sweeping away life's excess

Postby yukon on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Stuff. We have a lot of it. Our belongings can be entertaining, helpful or cool. Yet they're also a little
oppressive, the way they clutter our homes and dictate our actions.

Hence the endeavour by Dave Bruno to set himself the 100 Thing Challenge: to whittle his way down to
100 personal possessions and live with only these items for a year. Gone is the iPod, the autographed
baseball jersey, the dress pants, the sport coat and the nose-hair trimmer. All of them purged.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lifeandstyle/lifematters/sweeping-away-lifes-excess/2008/12/17/1229189687577.html

Would you take this challenge? Be able to whittle down to 100 personal possessions?

Why post this in Health you ask? Well its because the article qualifies as lifestyle and health is part of a lifestyle.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Re: Sweeping away life's excess

Postby fishandchips on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:13 pm

100 items only? No can do, but I do admire this man for putting a stop to bringing stuff in without letting other stuff go.

Why wait until January? Start the sorting out room by room-boxes aplenty can be found at the grocers' if one cannot be bothered to buy them from a shop.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Short-term, I can see someone whittling their possessions down to about 100 items, if one had to move items out of an apartment but had limited means to retain everything (no truck or off-site storage) and one also had to move out their region or country. Since even charity collections tend to have scheduled truck pick-up dates, unless one knew well in advance when charity could pick up the excess clothing, furniture, pots and knick-knacks, the landlord, friends or other dwellers will score in the "new stuff" category.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 pm

I could never take on such a challenge for will admit that I clutter up my home with a maze of things. Remember when moving from my home in Banff National Park in Alberta we had this chap estimate possibly the cost. Had metal cutting lathe, to drill press, to bandsaw, grinder, welding/cutting torch & such boxed up. Then pointed that there was this m/c being a Greeves Observed Trials bike. His answer was something like "We have never been confronted with something like this berfore" & I told him I did have one bike boxed, but wanted to use two competition bikes in the next week or so just before we moved to my home in the Okanagan Valley of B.C. Obviously I clutter things all around my home to caragel
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Is anyone making house/home reorganization a priority now? Maybe to solve the question of where something was stored months ago or to find an item useful for January.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Sorry CielOnTap, but I have not changed. Just that some times I am going back on memory to TRY & remember where I sort of stored that last time I used or had it or saw it. I am one of the worse for cluttering.

Sometimes I accidently find something I have been looking for the past year & in mind I do realize that was what I thought would be the ideal place for said book, keys, clothing, tools or such.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Some sewing supplies need to be sorted into order. I did recycle some old patterns (paper) and bid farewell to fabric scraps that had no project attached to them in late November. Time to renew acquaintance with the remaining supplies and tag them with deadlines.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Working on a paper craft to get going on making something complete. Supplies have been waiting to be put to use, so I will make one item and see if more will follow today.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:29 pm

For the want of compressed air to chase hard-to-reach dust bunnies! Something to add for the shopping list.

Has the paper done a check-up on the man who lives with only 100 things to see if he adheres to the plan?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Never fails to happen: when I do find something I have placed away, I find other things that needing sorting attention. Sometimes with reading material (magazines, some paperback books), I can place it into the blue box when I am ready to let them go. Other times, a last review of the material and questioning why it remains around prompt the eventual blue box solution.

However, in today's perusal through two back issues of lifestyle magazines, I found the ad featuring a top to keep in mind for a future sewing project, some event venue information and of course food pages. Worth that last look!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Health