Sweeping away life's excess

Health

Re: Sweeping away life's excess

Postby CielOnTap on Thu May 29, 2014 11:22 am

E-mail box is getting some folder cleanup. I'm too efficient in deleting things I think I don't need and two weeks later, it comes to my notice, that contact information did not get saved. Also have a contact list problem-accidently put my contact list into Delete Contacts but Yahoo mail indicated I had a month to deal with it before the list disappears. All the contacts got put into a wrong group as well, so I have to edit each contact. Hope this week, Yahoo mail is not sluggish as it was last week when this mess occurred.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Today, it was remove the old shelf liners day. I had noticed that some shelves, the liners were showing a building of 10 years of use plus some bubbles or lifted edges. I had intended to remove the plastic from one side of cupboards but went all out and removed all of the liners. No, I did not buy any of the adhesive remover. I did notice some shelves have some residual tackiness but it's not visible unless a vinyl eraser or a coarse paper towel are applied. Then there are streaks!

The one definite upside is that the shelves look almost brand new white! See how long that lasts after a month of cooking during a cold season! I found a few items that I could not understand why they were being stored. Before I can toss some extra can openers, I have to raise the issue of what's needed and what's not needed in the utensil drawers.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:48 pm

It's the Sixth day of Christmas. The carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas, mention six geese a laying. Is there a goose in your life? The goose as metaphor or literal creature.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:50 pm

The 2015 calendar and planner are in front of you. What are some goals for January? Are there classes or lectures to attend? Is it time to organize a room or tax paperwork or help on a project? Are there people with whom relationships have to change in order to improve the goodwill in the relationships? What do you want to do more of in 2015 and what do you want to do less of? What changes are required to reach the more of/less of goals?

How's the weather and how much time do you expect you'll need to clear any snow if there's a storm? Are there any services coming up for renewal that you want to negotiate for better prices or with other suppliers? What are the details/contract terms?

Have pets? Do they need to see their veterinarian for any health needs or checkups? Do you have the budget or insurance set aside to cover the costs?

You just cleared out your coupons for 2014 and shredded that last of some shopping receipts. Are there savings in belonging to a store or program where you shop? Maybe it's time to stop using a program or going to a store to stay on budget with monthly needs?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Test of the temper: how to react when a family member is creating a smoking hot dish in the oven? Let them deal with the smoke detector and response. Not my problem that the individual overfilled a pot again and the liquid leaked and promptly burned in the oven.
It's still a New Year and I'm trying to hold onto the newness for as long as possible... :mrgreen:
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Requiring some motivation to clear out a room or get your place ready for cold temperatures and maybe some dinner parties? Visit http://www.throwoutfiftythings.com/ for a few motivating minutes. The paperback book is worthwhile reading-the physical clutter is dealt along with mental clutter. Have to handle the hang-ups or past too.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:13 pm

2016 is winding down! Before you can party the last day away, take inventory of your stuff and space.

Do you know where your 2017 calendar or planner is? Have you transferred key appts, dates and contact information into those items? Do you have working pens with those items? Might wish to check for backup pens. Then check that your digital calendars or planners are updated on all devices (computer/tablet/smartphone/cloud).

Your online presence-does your resume or LinkedIn account need updating (of information, a more current headshot suitable for professional exposure)? Maybe you did an Internet search of images or your name and realized some blasts of past posts might need to be taken down or requested to be removed. Hustle on getting your online version all updated and reflective of you. Let go of past versions of you. Might like to verify that your membership or contact information is not being posted online without your consent for social, community or personal interest societies.

Household drawers and storage areas in cars or trucks or totes-take out all contents and see if you have receipts for tax returns, lottery tickets about to hit 1 yr since the draw, keys, anything of personal value or items that have been missing for weeks. Rehouse the keep items in their proper locations. Bin or put into the shredder (paper items only) the other things that have to go. It would be lovely if you could wash or wipe down storage surfaces to freshen things a little bit before items bury the spaces again.

2016 decorations-what can be replaced? If you bought new items, did you recycle or throw out the older versions? No sense in having two sets of anything unless you have two rooms or trees to decorate.

Batteries-the old ones need to be safely disposed of through your area's hazardous waste program or participating store with drop off bins.

Emergency supplies-if you are experiencing winter, do you have important utility contact numbers posted by your household phones to report outages or tree branches on power lines? Do you have a kit with candles and candle holders, energy bars, matches or lighter, hand warmers or gloves and water? Place the kit where you can easily find it in the dark if you experience an electrical power outage.
If you are experiencing summer, do you have a first aid kit prepared and stored in a ready location when needed? Are there supplies that need replenishing? How about refreshing your first aid skills (lessons or book) too? Have you a plan to deal with swimmers in your pool (who will be on duty) and rules for visiting guests that want to help around the house and use your things? Be prepared for taking turns with showers, washing appliances and dishwashing and sharing the tv too.

Food supplies in the fridge, cupboards and pantry. Have you looked at the expiry dates on food and drinks and checked the state of the produce? Can you use up items that are nearing their best by dates? What items have not been used? Make a list not to buy them again. Can someone else use those items? Can this week be the one to make do with food on hand before getting fresh items at the store? If you have been keeping track of food costs each month during the year, set up the 2017 budget and adjust your amounts to reflect changes in buying food. Flyers and coupons help with purchases as well. Your area may have a coupon group or online coupon social group to help you gain tips and ideas on saving food and money.

Cleaning or repair tasks-what remains to be done for 2016? Are you going to do the tasks or pay someone else to do them? Or have you planned another time in 2017 with a budget and timeframe for doing them? Be realistic.

Then after considering and doing all of the above, you can make party plans to bring in the New Year of 2017!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:23 pm

New planner is in the protective sleeve, calendar pages have been flipped and a new block of brightly coloured Post-It notes joins me in the New Year.

Last week I was making lists but having a hard time corralling old ones and shredding them. Today was their day to go. December 31 coupons were recycled.

Three items from my closet have been binned-I'm ready for new or newer clothing this month. I have not done Boxing Day
sales rounds but expect this week to find a discounted pair of gloves (I keep losing my main pair but happily have found them)
and perhaps hosiery. Yes, stores still have discounted holiday and Christmas sweets to sell on their shelves.

The prices of things (utilities, gasoline, food, personal care items, clothing) are likely to go up again. Since it will cost more to do a load of laundry, maybe you are willing to let go of the unmended, the torn and the wornout clothing so you only launder what is still wearable. Gasoline-plans stops on the same trip to maximize the travel opportunities. Or consider carpooling if that is an option for work, afterschool activities or grocery shopping.

The sunshine is bright today after a week of mostly grey skies. Make the most of the daylight as it increases bit by bit. I'm sure you are looking at seed catalogues during winter! Could be time to get a herb planter for a windowsill started.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Found a list of 20 things you can do to help resolve clutter cleaning matters and make January seem more spacious in your residence.

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/7051282-these-20-items-are-cluttering-your-life-toss-them/

There is no junk drawer in the house-I usually check for items that need to move to the garbage can. Living spaces are trickier as a few other adults like to drop their things on chairs or the carpet or floor-that is problematic for me (with higher housekeeping and safety standards). I set an ultimatum recently to two family members-keep track and control of anything you bring into the house or get rid of it (and consult others prior to bringing home massive boxes of food that take away storage space). I'm not bringing in those things you won't put away, won't toss out (old or broken items) or won't clean up. And do not use the dining room table as a place to empty your pockets, lunch container etc. Put all things away!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 pm

March 2017 is winding down its last hours. It's spring (planting time) in the Northern Hemisphere and it's fall (harvesting time) in the Southern Hemisphere.

Weather patterns change as well-keep that in mind if you take cruises as some ports will be at risk of hurricanes for
the next six months. Middays may be hot but mornings or evenings can be cold so consider layering clothing to adjust for temperatures.

Repairing and cleaning outdoor furniture, changing bedding, laundering textiles-all part of the routines of acknowledging less or more sunshine
in your part of the world.

Don't forget to check which necessary papers or bills need to be filed or paid (mark due dates in your planner or calendar), supplies that need to be ordered or bought, and family pets needing checkups/shots/medicine.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Health