Twitter at work-just don't be a twit

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:49 pm

WATCH THAT TWITTIQUETTE

Twitter at work – just don't be a twit
Twitter trend is catching on, but beware of over-tweeting at the office
SARAH BOESVELD
From Monday's Globe and Mail
March 23, 2009 at 2:10 AM EDT

Warning all Twittering job hunters and employees: Don't become the next Cisco Fatty.

Just last Tuesday, “theconnor,” a Twitter alias for a masters student in California, was offered a job at the high-tech giant. Itching to share her news, she sent out a “tweet”:

“Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute to San Jose and hating the work.”

In less than an hour, she received this reply: “ Who is the hiring manager. I'm sure they would love to know that you will hate the work. We here at Cisco are versed in the web.”

Word has it the Cisco Fatty never got that padded paycheque, but her story has quickly become a cautionary tale in the so-called Twitterverse. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090323.wltwitter23/BNStory/lifeMain

Was it last week that I read a columnist commentary on the breakdown of the content of the Toronto mayor's tweets? Some content seemed not to get to the main points, while others did.

The London mayor in the UK likes to post recipes apparently too.

The above response from Cisco is the fastest reply to social posting that I am aware of related to an interview. The world is getting smaller. One day, all electronic gadgets that chirp in enclosed public spaces i.e. buses will be given the "look" at their owners to shut the devices down.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Twitter at work-just don't be a twit

Postby pysanky on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

People who have time to "tweet" have desk jobs or jobs not needing hard physical work. Making food or buildings-people too tired to "thumb" messages for fun-sore muscles want rest and relief.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby smitty on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:54 pm

You hit this twitter bit, & some other things, right on the nose pysanky. Though retired for some years I would never have had the time to twitter when I was doing small or major work on a customer's motorcycle, or twitter when a salesman, to part-owner of several m/c shops to being Instrument Man in the building of the Trans-Canada Hwy, to Assistant Water Treatment Plant Operator in my town, or full time Fruit Orchardist, to also helping in constructing a home or garage or such. After all we were not sitting on our butts, but standing upright all the time with all our limbs to minds on the VERY job itself. Some call us Blue Collar workers, but not matter what we were NOT with idel time to twiter.

Fact is the use of shop or owners computers for something person would have never been tolerated if they came about & in my shops & time.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm

A reporter at the Globe and Mail attempts to converse about life and death and Twitter, by holding the chat on Twitter:

Why Twitter is a matter of life and death
IAN BROWN
Globe and Mail Update
March 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM EDT

"It occurred to me the other day that people like to Twitter because they're afraid of dying."

Twitter, once solely the concern of technophiles and new media pundits, is now a firm part of mainstream culture, both online and off. What does the mass adoption of such a seemingly simple tool say about our values? Is it an exercise of pure vanity, or does the microblog serve some need?

Along with Globe readers and Twitter users, feature writer Ian Brown examined our urge to tweet, 140 characters at a time. Follow the conversation in the blog below, via his Twitter account @Brownoftheglobe, or by searching for the hashtag #tgam.

Twitter
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu May 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Using Twitter to get work-that is a twist in the use of social media. Here's the story of someone pursuing a winery position that uses social media.

Tweeting Your Way to a Job
By LAURA M. HOLSON
Published: May 20, 2009
“IT is my mission in life to get this job,” said Amanda Casgar, who is better known to executives at Murphy-Goode Winery in Sonoma County as applicant No. 505.

Three weeks ago Murphy-Goode began a search for a “social media whiz,” a wine enthusiast interested in moving to Healdsburg, Calif., for six months to promote the vineyard’s malbec and chardonnay on blogs, Facebook and Twitter. The job — which comes with the official title “lifestyle correspondent” — pays $10,000 a month, plus free accommodations at a private home within walking distance of the tasting room. Ms. Casgar, a former magazine marketing executive, has been endorsing herself as enthusiastically as she would a bottle of petit verdot.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/fashion/21whiz.html?em

To some, Twitter is an extension of customer service, an efficient way to solve problems for disgruntled customers. To others, the use of interactive media is strictly promotional: PepsiCo, for instance, recently advertised that it was looking for journalists and students to tweet during Internet Week in New York in June.

Customer service extension? The first time I have heard of this work use for Twitter.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:09 pm

What happens with some social sites is that they contact people by email in order to access the recipients' contact lists. There's a term for that too. Read on:

Typing In an E-Mail Address, and Giving Up Your Friends’ as Well
ALINA TUGEND
Published: June 19, 2009
I THOUGHT it was a little strange when I received separate e-mail messages from two people I knew only slightly asking me to click and see their photos on a social networking site called Tagged.

I ignored them at first, but then thought maybe I should check it out. After all, I should keep up on what’s hot in the social networking world, right? This could be the new Twitter.

That’s when I started doing everything wrong. I obligingly typed in my e-mail address and a password to see those photos. Well, the photos didn’t exist, but I had unwittingly given the site “permission” to go through my entire e-mail contact list and send a message to everyone, inviting them to see my “photos.” http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/technology/internet/20shortcuts.html?em
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby deja vu on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Twitter users who lack an audience for their messages can now buy followers.

Australian social media marketing company uSocial is offering a paid service that finds followers for users of the micro-blogging service. Followers are available in blocks starting at $87 (£53) for 1,000. The biggest block uSocial is selling is 100,000 people.

USocial said businesses and individuals were queuing up to use its follower finding service.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8130456.stm

Im not sure what to thing about this one, a good idea or really sad. I avoid twitter like the plague so would like to hear from some twitter users.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:45 am

There were a spate of fake celebrity death announcements by Twitter recently. Some individuals thought it was worthwhile to make celebrities' PR people work quickly to refute the announcments. What was the point of doing those "tweets"--any ideas?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Was not President of USA, Obama yatteing about the use of TWITTER when in Africa? Or could it be a word he had used in error?
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Tweeting about issues with your apartment management company can generate a legal response, as one tenant found out. It will be interesting to find out how long an issue the tenant made of the mold through non-Twitter channels with the realty company prior to her comment online.

Landlord claims libel over 'mold' Tweet
July 28, 2009 1:07 PM | UPDATED STORY
A landlord has replied to a former resident's complaint on Twitter about mold with a salvo of its own: a libel lawsuit.

"Who said sleeping in a moldy apartment was bad for you? Horizon realty thinks it's okay," wrote Amanda Bonnen in her Twitter feed May 12 at 9:08 a.m., apparently to a friend coming to town for a visit.

Horizon Group Management, which leased Bonnen's Uptown apartment, wasn't pleased.

Last week the company filed suit against Bonnen in Cook County Circuit Court, claiming Bonnen "maliciously and wrongfully published the false and defamatory Tweet." http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/uptown-resident-sued-for-twitter-post.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Work / Education