Re: Twitter at work-just don't be a twit

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Is this journalism or a slow news day?

People’s tweets crankiest on Thursdays, study finds
Published On Thu Jul 22 2010
Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter
#rufeelingcranky2day?

You are not alone. Scientists at Harvard and Northeastern Universities, crunching data from more than 300 million posts on the social media site Twitter, found that people are at their angriest on Thursdays.

The project is called “Pulse of the Nation: U.S. mood throughout the day, as inferred from Twitter.”

Using kaleidoscope maps of the U.S. that change colour as mood changes, the team tracked hourly fluctuations by feeding the 140-character Twitter posts into the “affective norms for English” word list, cross-referenced with county-by-county data across the U.S.http://www.thestar.com/living/article/838953--people-s-tweets-crankiest-on-thursdays-study-finds
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Posting pictures online reveals more than you know
August 2, 2010
Francine Kopun FEATURE WRITER

Big Brother has arrived, in case you missed it. In fact, you probably did miss it.

Those images you’ve been uploading to the web — your amusing YouTube video, the car-for-sale pictures on Craigslist, the TwitPic updates — may be embedded with coding that can reveal where the picture was taken, according to a report from the International Computer Science Institute, an independent, non-profit research institute in the United States.

GPS-equipped smart phones, iPhones and digital cameras embed location information in photos as a service to users to help them locate, sort and identify pictures. But most people either don’t know about the embedding or don’t understand how it can be abused, according to report co-author Robin Sommer.http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/newsfeatures/article/842467--posting-pictures-online-reveals-more-than-you-know#comments

Reading the comments posted by other readers, I noted there are references to EXIF data and RTFM.

Dictionary.com had a listing RTFM (acronym to reading the ******* manual). Wikipedia enlightens us on Exchangeable Image File Format.

Geolocation
The Exif format has standard tags for location information. Currently, only very few cameras, such as the Ricoh Caplio 500SE, Nikon Coolpix P6000 or some higher-end mobile phones, have a built-in GPS receiver and store the location information in the Exif header when the picture is taken. For other cameras, such as Nikon D300, Nikon D90, or FinePix S5 Pro, a separate GPS receiver that fits into the flash connector or hot shoe is available. Recorded GPS data can also be added to any digital photograph on a computer, either by correlating the time stamps of the photographs with a GPS record from a hand-held GPS receiver or manually using a map or mapping software. The process of adding geographic information to a photograph is known as geocoding. Photo sharing communities like Panoramio, locr or Flickr equally allow their users to upload geocoded pictures or to add geolocation information online.

80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Well, excepting the employees whose jobs include the necessity of updating the corporate social media accounts, the estimated value of lost company time in Britain is something worth remarking upon. Can there be overaccomodation of the cool job factors in order to have social media people on staff?

Social media costs UK billions
By Paul Casciato, REUTERS

Last Updated: August 5, 2010 12:22pm
LONDON - Employees who fritter time away on Facebook, Twitter and other social media Web sites are costing British businesses billions, new research suggests.

British employment website MyJobGroup.co.uk said it polled 1,000 British workers and found that nearly six per cent, or 2 million, of Britain’s 34 million-strong workforce spent over an hour per day on social media while at work, amounting to more than one eighth of their entire working day.

“Our results clearly show that UK workers are spending increased time whilst at work on social media networks, which, left unchecked, could have negative repercussions on the productivity of many companies across the country,” Managing Director of Myjobgroup.co.uk Lee Fayer said in a statement with the results of the survey.

MyJobGroup.co.uk said that work time lost on Facebook, Twitter and other social media networks could potentially be costing Britain up to $22.16 billion.http://www.torontosun.com/life/2010/08/05/14931686.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Smartphones unwittingly stealing our privacy
By QMI Agency
Last Updated: September 1, 2010 1:49pm

A new website, almost threateningly called IcanStalkYou.com, is exposing the privacy hole left by many smartphones. The site amalgamates twitter updates and modifies them to include the GPS data of where the information was gathered, posting maps and co-ordinates of where the person was when the tweet was sent with each tweet. The site was created by a group of computer security professionals because they "don't feel that enough people realize what kind of data they are posting."

"After analyzing your photos, someone could find out where you live, who else lives there, your commuting patterns, where you go for lunch each day, who you go to lunch with, why you and your attractive co-worker really like to visit a certain nice restaurant on a regular basis," and other things.

Every time a smart phone with a GPS chip clicks to snap a photo, it automatically tags that photo with the exact GPS co-ordinates where that photo was taken. In many phones, this feature is turned on by default, and many consumers don't even know it. http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/09/01/15211471.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I am just so pleased that I got out of the motorcycle business befoe PCs became THE THING for then our parts man & probably others would have been using it continually to also the above breaking down in those easly yrs that we would be paying big money to have the PC repaired.

Our parts-man got us into some costs for when there was a major change in the phone numbers to where some of the distriburters or others we would buy with toll-free numbers. Our parts man ha memorized all the old numbers & used them instead of the toll free ones.

We sort of let him go, good as he was, over the super high costs of his long distant phone calls as so often he would be on the phone talking to others about weather to you name it instead of the toll-free lines he would have to look up on the list I had supplied him.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:07 pm

After Building an Audience, Twitter Turns to Ads
By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER and TANZINA VEGA
Published: October 10, 2010
“We feel like we've cracked the code on a new form of advertising, and we feel like we've got a hit on our hands,” Dick Costolo, Twitter's chief, said last week.

In the last two weeks, the company has introduced several advertising plans, courted Madison Avenue at Advertising Week, the annual industry conference, and promoted Dick Costolo, who has led Twitter’s ad program, to chief executive — all signs that Twitter means business about business. It’s Twitter’s biggest financial effort since April, when it introduced its first, much-anticipated ad program, Promoted Tweets.

Twitter’s startling growth — it has exploded to 160 million users, from three million, in the last two years — is reminiscent of Google and Facebook in their early days. Those Web sites are now must-buys for advertisers online, and the ad industry is watching Twitter closely to see if it continues to follow that path. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/business/media/11twitter.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia%2Findex.jsonp

Unless your job description includes social media activities as part of your work tasks, here's a good reason to use Twitter away from work: the IT programs or servers can track your Internet use and wouldn't ads take up more corporate bandwidth?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:47 pm

If the business people will remove the twitter from its workers THEN the next thing will be TO REMOVE the twitter from drivers of cars/trucks or busses.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:15 pm

In Ontario, one is not to be driving with a cellphone at the ear unless it is through a handsfree set. I almost had a near miss at the roundabout with an unmarked delivery van that sped through before me: the driver had his left arm extended over the wheel but was holding a phone with his right hand.

Twitter-have not had an encounter yet with a texting driver.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 pm

http://skuyou.com/whatis.aspx This website explains its app for a smartphone-it reads those digital squares on print matter and does something with it. I have seen about 3 such squares in a recent food magazine's ads. Do people really check out all of these squares or is it a novelty pursuit while the app is new?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:13 pm

I do not even have or use a cellular phone. I deal with some board on the 'net like this onem but not twitter, facebook or U-tube for the latter I cannot pull in or see because my PC is that old that it cannot pull in U-Tube.

Besides I have something about NO MUG SHOTS OF ME normally, when shooting or such. Something personal to me. Different when I was in many forms of m/c competition for most one could see was my protective gear to my helmet & latter did not show a facial.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Work / Education