Twitter at work-just don't be a twit

Work / Education

Re: Twitter at work-just don't be a twit

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:16 pm

If you live in the US and have a district attorney wanting to show that s/he is bringing change to the community/state, take note if the person is into social media channels. Your legal situations could be publicized through those channels but what would you do to get recompense for your reputation damage before getting due legal process?

A year ago, Brett Ligon, the newly elected district attorney in Montgomery County, Texas, decided to post on Twitter the names of drivers arrested on charges of drunken driving during the Christmas holiday. Newspapers, which used to publish all the names, had stopped because of space constraints.

But Ligon had another motive: He wanted to send a message that drunken driving would not be tolerated while he was district attorney. “There is a new guy in town,” he said. As a warning, residents were told (on Twitter, too) that police officers would be on the lookout for violators.

“I don’t feel sorry for anybody if we tell them we are going to be out there,” Ligon said. “There is an embarrassment factor, the scarlet letter of law enforcement. If embarrassing someone was what it took to stop someone from driving drunk, I’m all for it.”

Seemingly, it worked. There was only one alcohol-related death in the county last December, according to the district attorney’s office.

Not everyone was pleased. A handful of people who were named on Twitter complained to The Houston Chronicle after they found out their drunken driving arrests had been widely broadcast. “I haven’t been proven guilty,” Linda Owens told the newspaper in January. “What happened to our rights?”
http://www.thespec.com/feature/article/307104--online-is-the-new-court-of-shame
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

If a politician is that gung-ho about advertising someone's mishaps, s/he has to take similiar treatment in kind if there is a political situation creating bad optics in the public realm.

Politicians have family members too, some of whom want the world to back off on them. They did not elected yet have to face the media glares too often without so much as "here, sign a contract to show what a great person this parent/family member is in office."
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Quirky discovery or just an obvious notification that my software is not running on the latest versions: when I click on Mall Facebook page posts that contain a link and I want to open said link, I get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. Same thing occurs if I click on a blog site's Twitter channel and see a post link that I'd like to see-the error message appears.

Do links in the above social networks have a useful life of less than a few hours? Yes, that right, a few hours--I tried opening a library Twitter link from today and no new content or url. Sigh.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Within the hour, the iPhone was located.

"Omg. This actually worked. The search is off! It's been located!!!! Yessss," read the post.

An entry on the search, may have topped Lupul for cheekiness, however.

“Wow #findlupulsphone worked pretty fast. How long until #findtheleafsanumberonecenter”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/945175--twitter-hunt-reconnects-lupul-with-his-iphone
A spirited comment on the fact that a phone can be found but that the Leafs' main player isn't scoring. Fans of the Maple Leafs have discussed their team forever, including their lack of succes on ice.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Honestly do admit that twitter to facebook is not to my liking & no I have not dialed into either of them. I use my PC to boards like this one or e-mail messages to members of our Gun Club & such.

For some time face book has tried to get me to dial in, but ignored it or whatever, even if I knew some of the present members of facebook.

True it was facebook that the Egyptian Revolution Youth group used. Then the Muslim Brotherhood moved in with seemingly no aim other then thier pay was so low, but now it looks as if the two are sort of fighting for a position in the leadership of the Govt of Egypt.

Wonder if the same was or is being done in Libya??????
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Being an Ivy League graduate, a swift person on social media platforms and receptive to late night calls at all hours might make you a candidate to handle a Twitter account for a celebrity. Really.
Insiders tell us that the position of "Celebrity Social Media Manager" has become as institutionalized as the long suffering assistant personal assistant on the celeb pay roll.

And the positions are pretty lucrative, paying tech-savvy recent college graduates, many from Ivy League schools, $50,000 a year just to update Twitter and Facebook on behalf of the rich and famous.

And, if the celeb is getting paid to Tweet , as so many are, the position can pay for itself in less than a month.

Managing celebrity's Twitter account

How receptive are parents at learning that their graduated offspring are making $50,000 after having spent much money to educate a daughter or son at an Ivy League school? Why not just apply for the job without bothering to spend time in lecture halls? Maybe the $50,000 fails to materialize.

Do social media managers get to learn their boss' speaking style so as to make tweets seem like the boss is composing them?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Everyone is talking about Twitter. @CielOnTap is my ID, as I have just joined the online place to be seen and to be read. Did the typesetters of text of old ever envision how text would be used in the 21st century?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 am

You know my views on facebook to twitter especially as this one fool stepped onto the road to walk into my STOPPED SUV as he did not look to the left or right, though once realizing he was to walk into a STOPPED SUV he was back to his twitter thing & even came closse to stumbling when it reached the sidewalk curb on the other side.

So one of my neighbors has my home key while my best friend has it as well. NO we do not chatter back & forward by twitter, though the home builder has my estate signed out to him & we are fellow h/gun shooters. Once he took over the range on a Sunday with me thinking it was only Saturday. My flaw so we had a cup of coffee.

Same person has come down to get me in his truck & to the h/gun range due to broken hips, broken leg & something else.
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 am

I am not excited to actually send some words to President of the USA since he keeps on saying "send me a twitter'. Besides like some others I am a Canadian.
smitty

Postby signs on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:28 pm

US Airways has apologised after an explicit photo was sent from its official Twitter account in response to a customer complaint. It said in a statement that it was trying to flag the image as inappropriate but instead mistakenly included it in a message.

The tweet was deleted after approximately an hour but not before it had been retweeted hundreds of times. The airline said it regretted the error and was reviewing its processes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27033833

OOPS.

Another case that shows you need to double check before you click okay.
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Previous

Return to Work / Education