Governor terminates textbooks for schools

Work / Education
out in space
Starting Member
Starting Member

Governor terminates textbooks for schools

Post by out in space » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 pm

THE Governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has unveiled a plan to save his state money by phasing out school textbooks in favour of learning over the internet.

Facing a budget shortfall of $US24.3 billion ($30 billion), the former actor said that converting to online study would also keep pupils more up to date.

He said he believed that online activities such as Facebook, Twitter and downloading to portable devices demonstrate that young people are ready to learn from the internet.

"A world of up-to-date information fits easily into their pockets and onto their computer screens," he wrote in the San Jose Mercury News. "So why are California's public school students still forced to lug around antiquated, heavy, expensive textbooks?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/technol ... 99028.html

Lets hope this is not an experiment that goes south really fast.
Beam me up!

burnt fare

Re: Governor terminates textbooks for schools

Post by burnt fare » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm

He has a point about technology and the learning issue, however he's not showing awareness that the Internet is something of a free for all.

Does he even know what his state's education department has in its curricula for students about technology and studying? Computer access for all, as not all households have computers, etc.
Burger time

Speak1

Post by Speak1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 pm

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Bad idea! Very bad idea!!

I would like to hear reaction from educators.

Let's start with the first problem -- the book you can carry with you to the park to get some reading done.

Is the state going to buy these children the new Net books, or whatever they're called?

Or buy the children a device that lets you read a book electronically?

Let's see, is "The Wealth of Nations" by Smith available in the electronic form?

And what are we to do if for some awful reason the sun acts up and fries a bunch of those lines that carry around information from one terminal to another and -- "UH OH! My child can't access that homework assignment."

Ah, can't access that or anything else on the syllabus now or in the near future. Until all those fried wires and satellites are fixed.

Oh yes, how about security procedures when all those kids can be accessed through a government run intranet -- the school board. Oh, you say there is enough Net security out there now? Rubbish! Total rubbish!!

And are we seeing the first step by a government to lead humans down the road of no more books? Or understanding the value of the "printed word" on some kind of paper? Not on a screen. Oh yes, they will say that's the job of the parents, right? Hah! Rubbish!!

BAD IDEA, Mr. Governor!!! VERY BAD IDEA, Mr. Governor!!! And I'm just getting warmed up, Mr. Governor. Give me a week and I'll come up with many more reasons why this is a bad idea. And I need a week only because I'm a bit busy.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Translation: "No! I don't want to go to school tomorrow."
"But my dear, you're the teacher."
80s pop music fan here!

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:41 pm

My compliments on your latest post CielonTap for it is SO FITTING. At my age & not being overly keen on the computer world I would not be sold on taking a class. Fortunately I am to old to do that.

CielOnTap

Post by CielOnTap » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Classes show up in many places outside of a college, university or even high school setting. Some library branches offer tutorials on computer software (classes fill up super fast). It is always best to match interests and budgets to what is offered. Now that it is fall, many places offer open houses hoping that guests will become members/customers/students for the fall semester.

I liked that cartoon to show that even teachers might wish that summer was longer.
80s pop music fan here!

sharkeys

Post by sharkeys » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:44 pm

A Crown Jewel of Education Struggles With Cuts

By TAMAR LEWIN
Published: November 19, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif. — As the University of California struggles to absorb its sharpest drop in state financing since the Great Depression, every professor, administrator and clerical worker has been put on furlough amounting to an average pay cut of 8 percent.

In chemistry laboratories that have produced Nobel Prize-winning research, wastebaskets are stuffed to the brim on the new reduced cleaning schedule. Many students are frozen out of required classes as course sections are trimmed.

And on Thursday, to top it all off, the Board of Regents voted to increase undergraduate fees — the equivalent of tuition — by 32 percent next fall, to more than $10,000. The university will cost about three times as much as it did a decade ago, and what was once an educational bargain will be one of the nation’s higher-priced public universities. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/educa ... ey.html?em

The cutbacks might make opportunities for other schools or businesses that can supply the courses at better prices. The state will see the impact on their workforce within a few years.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.