Journalism school nixes spelling test

Work / Education

Journalism school nixes spelling test

Postby coffee101 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

They’ve seen the writing on the wall, it seems. A journalism school in North Carolina has decided it’s no longer necessary to be able to spell words accurately without assistance, given the prevalence of spell check applications on computers, smartphones and other devices.

The University of North Carolina School of Journalism and Mass Communication introduced the famed spelling test in 1975 and has made it a requirement that students pass the test with a grade of 70 per cent or higher. But in a memo to students this week, the school explained its decision to drop the spelling portion of the spelling and grammar test.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... -test?bn=1

Bad mistake. Thanks to sites like Twitter, the written word is already butchered and now it's taking a bigger hit with this decision. From the start schools are turning kids away from the pen/paper and to technology. Technology is basically dumbing up the kids and by the time they hit University most wont be able to pass a spelling test because they relied on technology to teach them.

Verbal comminication is also taking a hit as more stop talking and turn to technology to speak for them. Just take a look outside and how many are mindlessly texting while they walk. They can't turn off their phones when out with others, they are all silent and focused on texting.
Conscience keeps more people awake than coffee.
coffee101

Re: Journalism school nixes spelling test

Postby manga2read on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Seen at a museum-reproductions of two documents. The one from the US had spelling more less the same in 1812 as we have now. The one from British North America had an abundant use of "f"s in places where the letter "s" is required. Examples: Majefty (Majesty), feventeenth (sevententh).

Spelling-the 21st century needs more dictionaries, not just for school. Let's have a dictionary revival party.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby musicrock on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 pm

A study by a Simon Fraser University linguist is trying to determine whether all those terse texts are really “ruining” our language.

French professor Christian Guilbault has collected over 7,500 texts messages from several provinces as part of his Text4Science study and so far has found that the medium isn’t just a blur of “opaque” abbreviations like ROFL (rolling on floor laughing).

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... story.html

They are definitely ruining it. The days of pen/paper are disappearing fast and being replaced by tablets/phones/computers. Kids as young as 2 are becoming experts on a tablet. It's run by touch so it makes it easy for them to use. Now Crayola is advertising crayons that work on tablets. From there they graduate to the keyboard and the abbreviations rather than a real word. As they get into high school they are well versed on everything, except how to spell correctly. They don't know any better and it's getting worse. The written word is rapidly becoming extinct. Good for the trees, but bad for people.
musicrock

Postby Tsukihime on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Common spelling error seen in papers are words that sound like what they should be but are the wrong spelling (off by one letter or are homonyms). Example-door jam (should be door jamb).
That's princess to you.
Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby smitty on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:39 am

The spelling checks were done in so many of the newspapers & a maze of reporters errors were corrected. I just realized my 3rd uncle and this is what he did for a newspaper in Saskatoon.

On the PC I make my own errors I am sorry to say, but do not count on a Spell Cheaque for when I type COLOUR that is wrong, so is CHEQUE to just so many more.

I am sure that others have noticed a lot of spelling errors. Do not that through a lot of best reports or manuals from m/c makers there were some of my spelling errors for the English in the UK compared to the USA is different.

I tend to type TYRE when it should be tire, but them I say alluminium like the British to also spell it in the same manner, even more like what others might call a Pistom Pin I will be saying a GUDGEON Pin which is another British touch.

I have trouble with the chap that has taken my place as The Handgun Director for he says CLIP when he should be saying MAGAZING, but in his mind clip is easier to say.

He has a 9mm semi-auto CZ-75 only when I give him 5 reloaded rounds of ammo he returns them saying they are TO LONG. So on Sunday I gave him MY CZ-75 with the same "to long" reloads & they fed with perfection. Mine was built some years ago & he felt he was saving money by purchsing one that could be used in 9mm with the change of the, barrel, the slide, & the magazine though to have an EXTRA 9MM magazine is not important to him, but to me they are for I have 5 spare magazines, I have the same with my two .22 semi-auto guns to five for the semi-auto of 45ACP. Oh yes three of them from my Star 9mm made in Spain.

I was at an executive meeting to put in front of him on the table a bandoleer of 303 British ammo from WWII or Korean War now in each pocket is two clips to feed into the magzine of a Lee Enfield rifle
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 am

The above mix-up like someone just starting to riding their motorcycle & referring to it as DRIVING. This is when I say you DRIVE a car, but you do not drive a horse, bicycle or motorcycle so the word is RIDE in all cases.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Here is ONE very good reason why they need to not only learn how to spell, but to also do your homework before hitting the airways or print media.

It's WINNIPEG, not Winnepeg or Winnpieg. On one tape CNN got it wrong twice. I'm amazed no one caught this one. At least they spelled Manitoba correctly.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-bu ... 34322.html

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pretzels on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Spelling-everyone has ideas about it. Take a look at websites where people can post fundraising causes they want sponsorship for--spelling is on vacation or homonyms are used but not the right words. Or the posting happened after a late night or stressful time. :roll:
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Return to Work / Education