Gas operators cannot make staff pay for stolen gas

Work / Education

Gas operators cannot make staff pay for stolen gas

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm

When people who fill their vehicles with gas but drive away without paying for the gas, some operators demand/insist/say the staffer on duty has to pay for the lost gas. But in Prince Edward Island and Ontario, the employment laws do not permit a gas operator to pressure or to coerce staff for such payments.

Don’t make employees pay for gas-and-dash, P.E.I. tells gas-station operators
Published On Wed, 04 Apr 2012
Richard J. Brennan
National Affairs Writer

With gasoline prices in P.E.I. at a four-year high, labour department officials are reminding gas-station operators they can’t make employees cover the cost of motorists who gas-and-dash.

As the per-litre price of petrol climbs across the country, so do the incidents of motorists gassing up their vehicles and then taking off, leaving the operator out of pocket and, in some cases, demanding that the attendant pay some or all the cost.

The island government expressly put a provision in its Employment Standards Act two years ago to prevent passing along the cost of stealing gasoline to the attendants. But that hasn’t stopped some operators from holding their employees financially responsible.

“The law states categorically you can’t do it . . . there is no grey area,” Faye Martin, director of labour and industrial relations, told the Toronto Star. It also precludes operators from forcing their employees into some kind of cost-sharing arrangement.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1156476--don-t-make-employees-pay-for-gas-and-dash-p-e-i-tells-gas-station-operators?bn=1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Gas operators cannot make staff pay for stolen gas

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Don't you folks in Canada have an organization that can represent those poor workers at minimal or no cost and can haul those owners into court?

A clever lawyer could just make the case that the owner hadn't done enough to stop the stealing of gas. Like paying before you get the gas. or having a gate system like a toll booth or parking lot -- the gate doesn't go up until you pay.

What about other businesses?

I drop a dish and can't pay for it, the floor clerk must pay? That's kind of a WalMart thing, isn't it?

The federal employment laws don't have a code written into it that stops owners from doing that? A local entity had to write it into a local statute!? What's going on there in Canada? Those workers should be more militant and get some rights against greedy lords. Wait -- you don't have any royalty there, right? Serfdom is against the law, yes?

Speak-Ez will start the DSC.

Down with Serfdom in Canada

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I think this site can provide more answers than I can about workplace standards:

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/conten ... 28&lang=en

If you break something in a store you own it. At least that seems to be the impression that most have.

Royalty in name only, just a figurehead with no real powers.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 am

It is sad to learn of another incident of a gas attendant being harmed during a gas-and-dash, then dying from injuries. A driver in Toronto, Ontario is being sought by police.

Police hunt driver after Toronto gas station worker killed in gas-and-dash
TORONTO - Toronto police are hunting for a suspect after a gas station attendant was killed in an alleged gas-and-dash.

The incident happened just after 9 p.m. Saturday in midtown Toronto (near the Allen Road and Eglinton Avenue area.)

Police say the suspect had just filled up with about $112 worth of gas when he jumped in his vehicle and drove away, hitting and dragging the gas station employee.http://www.thespec.com/news/ontario/article/800462--police-hunt-driver-after-toronto-gas-station-worker-killed-in-gas-and-dash
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:59 pm

According to my knowlege THIS matter of the chap being killed in Ontario for not paying gas, happened to a young chap & so death again.

Now or some time ago we needed to know all the buttons to work for the fuel we were receiving & had to pay it. As I have not concured all these buttons to press. I have said I want so much in 89 Octane petrol. Pay for it and if I received less ten I payed for I can go in for the few dollars & cents error.

At one station, name not to be mentioned the owner knew all was payed & each time I came in I would see a wave from him that such & such a pump was open to apply as much as needed. Believe me that is a sort of God Send----mind you he is counting on HONESTY. Mind you some yrs prior to that I would ask for such & such a pump to be opened & had him my debit card, once I had topped up, then we used the old Debit Card & after a while he gave me the OKAY that such & such a pump was on for my filling up.

I think he has some lettering out that he will not give any change so you guess & be lucky like myself in HONESTY.
smitty

Postby smitty on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Funny thing is those that will open the pump to you for 89 Octane do NOT know what 89 Octane is other then the fuel I can use in my m/cs or my Subaru all wheel drive SUV for that saves MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:19 pm

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/09/15/candlelight_vigil_held_for_gasanddash_victim_one_year_later.html

The Toronto gas attendant that was struck and killed when a person fled in his vehicle after pumping gas was remembered today. His widow and son still miss him.

The investigation into whether the gas attendant's employer had a policy of making staff pay for gas-and-dash incidents from their paycheques resulted in no finding of such a policy.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 am

In relation to a 2011 incident of gas and dash (also known as pump and run) in Toronto, Ontaro in Canada: the driver of the vehicle that injured a gas attendant (who later died from his injuries) was in court in Toronto, ON after he had other incidents with police in Edmonton.
Quincy conceded the sentence was "lenient," but added that the Crown had a circumstantial case at best based largely on eyewitness accounts from six years ago. In addition, Zekavica said, none of the witnesses could positively identify Mohamoud as the driver involved if the case went to trial.

With extra credit given for time spent in pre-sentence custody, Mohamoud will only serve another two-and-a-half months in jail. Mohamoud is also prohibited from driving for five years and must submit a DNA sample that will go into the national registry, the judge said.

Mohamoud, 27, has already pleaded guilty for his role in an Edmonton rape case and was flown back to Ontario in 2015 to face charges relating to the fatal hit-and-run at a gas station near his home.

Mohamoud is accused of committing the fatal hit-and-run while under stringent house arrest bail conditions.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7176160-tortured-by-the-pain-fugitive-admits-to-killing-petro-canada-employee-over-stolen-gas/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Work / Education