Now for a few words or phrases...

Work / Education

Now for a few words or phrases...

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 pm

It's usually handy to know some basic expressions or requests when travelling abroad where English is not the first language. Conversely, you may have a new international colleague parachuted into your company's location and to break the social ice, you want to show some interest in his/her native language by saying a greeting or giving thanks.

From an article in the New York Times, a list of useful websites, both free and paid, was published for readers keen on acquiring some vocabulary or phrases for their next encounter or trip. The BBC apparently ranks favourably for its Quick Basics. The BBC provides some extended support material for languages such as French and Chinese. Worth a look as you watch the London Games on the television and want to know how to say hello to an athlete whose country you have yet to visit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Now for a few words or phrases...

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:21 am

Players of online video games, where commands require use of a set language, are quickly learning that language through repetition and help from other players who know the language. A Danish mother found out how her son's English was coming along when she discovered he was playing a war game.

http://www.thestar.com/living/technology/article/1290031--call-of-duty-and-world-of-warcraft-double-as-language-class

As I like dance video games or car racing video games (but not war games), I know I'll be waiting a really long time to see a similar playing benefit of using a different language to play a game. Unless I already know a different language, then I can use that language setting to access the game menu.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Work / Education