Johnny can't write, and why employers are mad

Work / Education

Johnny can't write, and why employers are mad

Postby coffee101 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Can you tell a pronoun from a participle; use commas correctly in long sentences; describe the difference between its and it's?

If not, you have plenty of company in the world of job seekers. Despite stubbornly high unemployment, many employers complain that they can't find qualified candidates.

Often, the mismatch results from applicants' inadequate communication skills. In survey after survey, employers are complaining about job candidates' inability to speak and to write clearly.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/why-joh ... 2D11577444

What do they expect, and it's going to get a lot worse. Thanks to our great technology the English language has been butchered beyond recognition. No need for handwriting unless signing something.

The computer, tablet, cellphone do all the work. Forget letting your fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages, now they are used for hitting buttons to do the talking for them. Voice communication is taking a hit, because all have their heads buried in their technology and rarely come up for air.

I'm surprised there are not more accidents from walking into things, or driving, etc. No wonder the Universities are starting to demand the junior and senior high schools focus more on the written word and verbal communication. Don't think it's enough because technology will always win out and that is a crying shame.
Conscience keeps more people awake than coffee.
coffee101

Re: Johnny can't write, and why employers are mad

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm

I have to question Kelley Holland's writing skills because of the first question.

The first sentence in a piece of writing sets the tone for the entire piece and trying to compare a pronoun to a participle is nonsense.

Okay, let me try to be nicer, it's strange.

Notice, Kelley, I wrote nicer, not nice. Get the point?

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Pronouns: I, you, she, he...
Participles: doing, breaking, closing (verb forms ending in -ing)

It's vs Its remains an ongoing matter of grammar in the 21st century; the proliferation of news sites/portals/blogs means more encounters of confused usage online, rather than the chance discovery of an error in a textbook or leisure reading material.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Another reason why learning to handwrite can be useful this century-the act of handwriting shows activity in a part of brain that keyboarding or tracing do not activate. Also, the act of writing seems to assist in learning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/science/whats-lost-as-handwriting-fades.html?action=click&contentCollection=Middle%20East&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article
A 2012 study led by Karin James, a psychologist at Indiana University, lent support to that view. Children who had not yet learned to read and write were presented with a letter or a shape on an index card and asked to reproduce it in one of three ways: trace the image on a page with a dotted outline, draw it on a blank white sheet, or type it on a computer. They were then placed in a brain scanner and shown the image again.

The researchers found that the initial duplication process mattered a great deal. When children had drawn a letter freehand, they exhibited increased activity in three areas of the brain that are activated in adults when they read and write: the left fusiform gyrus, the inferior frontal gyrus and the posterior parietal cortex.

By contrast, children who typed or traced the letter or shape showed no such effect. The activation was significantly weaker.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 am

Kids are missing out on seeing their teachers' handwriting on report cards! Computer fonts don't mimic a person's script and there's much to enjoy about a handwritten letter or note.

Speaking of which, mailing cards to people for special occasions or sympathy is also sliding away. Don't let that happen!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:30 pm

TVOntario's The Agenda episode tonight dealt with education issues for the Ontario election. I caught the last half hour of the program. Three political candidates talked about what their parties would do for education. Then that segment was followed by three educators being asked what they saw as being missed by politicians in their news bites on education policies. Apparently the teachers have not forgotten Bill 115-the contract that made teachers go back to work without a sick day bank, among other things. Also the PC policies on education with cutbacks promised is not winning raves among the teachers.

The discovery math curriculum was discussed by the political candidates.

The educators talked about the importance of the non-education staff such as board psychologists that access students for special needs to support teachers in their ability to reach all students.
http://theagenda.tvo.org/episode/204392/the-election-agenda-eyes-on-education
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:27 pm

I can remember having to figure out what the heck a teacher wrote at the top of my tests or written work. Guess once you get that teacher's certificate, you don't work on your handwriting!

Somethings continue to get handwritten like estimates for repair work, directions, bill tally at a farmer's market or deli if buying several things, and cards. Universities might be promoting the digital age but they likely hire calligraphers to ink the graduands' names on those important degrees.
Burger time
burnt fare

Return to Work / Education