Learning to be handy at home

Work / Education

Learning to be handy at home

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Popular features of hardware stores include do-it-yourself seminars and workshops for projects around the home/residence.

A viewer favourite, Jim Caruk, a contractor and popular feature on HGTV Canada shows, has founded Build-It-Yourself Centres for teaching people how to handle some tradework that they want to do at home. The courses have fees and are offered at designated Lowe's stores, with instructors from Conestoga College. A new Lowe's store opening in Burlington, Ontario, Canada next week will have the Build-It-Yourself Centre.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4344451-new-burlington-lowe-s-store-is-open-concept/

While I'm not a fan of tiles except on backsplashes, learning to drywall or getting painting techniques are things I'd like to do.

That reminds me: there's a weekend workshop (free) on how to do drywall repairs that I hope to attend. Maybe the bathroom ceiling can get fixed so new bright paint can be applied this spring. Oh if wishes can be realities...
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Learning to be handy at home

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Has winter been testing anyone's repair skills regarding downspouts or eavestroughing, wall repairs (due to moisture leaks) or other damage caused by ice, icicles or snow?

Flyers are showing incentives to get items for indoor work: discounts on in-stock items like doors, lightbulbs or insulation (many kinds).

Home shows are coming up between now and April, if you like seeing displays of things before choosing something new for the indoors or outdoors.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Work / Education