Looking for work? You're not alone.

Work / Education

Re: Looking for work? You're not alone.

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:31 pm

The employment ads section of a major Toronto daily is really small this week. This past year and a half, the ads rarely get a full page during the week or even on Saturdays. Sometimes seeing a half-page of ads is cause for rejoicing if there seem to be repeat job offers during the week.

However, there will be listings for the upcoming tax season plus inventory counting (for the candidates with transportation to take them to job sites) and warehousing etc. Manufacturing positions seem like the golden tickets in the Willy Wonka bars--rather rare.

I have to see if those Hallmark cards for jobseekers are in the card stores here or the card sections of the pharmacy/grocery stores. They'd be a mail surprise between all-weather friends in need of a kind uplifting message.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm not feeling encouraged by the Stats Canada report saying it's not that bad in Canada. Historical data captures a period, or periods, of time. Being low on cash is never fun.
Morissette said the data found that the monthly risk of layoff in the early 1980s was 2.9 per cent, almost 1.5 times higher than the 2 per cent rate observed from 2008 to 2011. The risk of layoff averaged 2.7 per cent in the early 1990s.

Those most at risk of layoff in all three recessions were workers aged 15 to 24, those without university degrees and newly hired employees with fewer than two years’ seniority.

The difference in the latest recession is those laid off were older, better educated and less likely to come from the manufacturing sector, which Morissette, an economist, said reflects the changes in the overall workforce today.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1114945--unemployment-data-analyzes-last-three-recessions-and-we-re-better-off-now-than-we-used-to-be

If you don't get some experience, you usually are screened out of jobs in your field seeking X years of experience, along with specific computer program knowledge skills. University is a debt experience for many people. If you are debt-adverse, that path to university is not taken.

In India, there is a report suggesting areas of the economy having growth for new hires, though temporary staffing is getting the main focus:
Pradeep Dhar, CMD, Vitasta Consulting Pvt, feels temporary staffing is getting bigger especially with IT, ITeS and a few other services industries like hotels, food and catering businesses.

“The phenomenon is huge with information technology and IT enabled services as the requirements there are very huge, given the kind of attrition levels at these companies,”said Dhar.

This is the most recent article I found on the jobs market in Japan for 2012:
The government projected that corporate capital spending will increase a real 5.1 percent in fiscal 2012, compared with a fall of 1.1 percent in the current fiscal year. Consumer spending would grow 0.3 percent in fiscal 2011 and 1.1 percent the following year.

The jobs markets are likely to remain tight, with unemployment expected to hover at around 4.5 percent in fiscal 2011 and 4.3 percent in fiscal 2012.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20111223a1.html
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_no-gloom-here-job-seekers-are-having-a-field-day_1640325
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Teaching jobs in Ontario are very hard to obtain.

Education sector toughest job market
REUTERS

First posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:39 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:54 AM EST
OTTAWA - Unemployed workers in Canada’s educational services sector faced the toughest job market in the country in the July-September period, according to a new Statistics Canada report on Tuesday.

For every 10 unemployed workers in education, there was just one vacancy, the agency’s new data on job vacancies in the three-month period showed. The second worst sector was construction where the ratio was 5.1.

The data is not seasonally adjusted to account for layoffs during the summer months but Statistics Canada said the ratio had been high in the education sector for earlier months of 2011 as well.

Of the 10 largest industrial sectors, wholesale trade and health care and social assistance had the lowest ratio, meaning there were fewer job hunters competing for each position. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/24/education-sector-toughest-job-market

Then there was the article containing two contradicting realities about job prospects after graduation for new Ontario university graduates-post-secondary schools claim a high employment rate for graduates six months after graduation. Employment centre staff have noticed clients with new degrees and high debt loads trying to get any kind of job by the six months mark.

I found the original press release about the survey from November but not the article from the Toronto Sun.
http://www.cou.on.ca/news/media-releases/cou/ontario-university-graduates-get-jobs,-earn-more-m.aspx

Hmm, guess I'll have to try again.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:35 pm

The federal Job Bank system in Canada no longer shows job listings for British Columbia. There is an incompatibility between the two systems, WorkBC and Job Bank. So as of August 1, WorkBC is the go-to website for jobs in Super Natural BC!

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/rch-eng.aspx?ProvId=10&OpPage=50&Stdnt=No
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 am

Precarious employment-a term to cover employment situations that are not secure. The cities of Hamilton and Toronto in Ontario, Canada are examined for precarious employment and about 50% of the working populace can be said to have precarious employment.

Actually, it's been that way for temporary workers-one usually hopes for a temporary situation to be come an actual job with an employer.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/23/half_of_gta_and_hamilton_workers_in_precarious_jobs.html

The impact of unstable work on personal and family life is profound, the report found. For example, people in low-income precarious jobs are less likely to have a close friend to talk to or to help with small jobs than those in more secure employment.

Workers in unstable jobs are less likely to have children. Men, in particular, reported they put off having a family due to insecure employment. These workers find it more difficult to find child care, help their children attend extracurricular activities and pay for school supplies and trips. At lower incomes, they are more likely to run into trouble paying for food.

Actually not knowing when money will be had led to my own experiences of declining to attend family and social functions. Unless I knew people were supportive of me and understanding of the labour market vagaries, I did not keep everyone in my social network updated of my unemployment nor always speak of my job search. There's energy spent on figuring out what needs to be done for a job search, realizations that most employers don't acknowledge applications and they seek very high attributes for candidates to already have, plus having to deal with needs and immediate family pressures. Sorry, not all of us have trust funds to pay for ongoing post-secondary degree studies and chase few and frugal internships.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 pm

The recent St. Patrick's Day parade held in Toronto, Ontario provided Irish citizens working in Canada or looking to work during their two-year visa programs a chance to socialize and to find out about leads for work.

Since Ireland's unemployment situation is similar to that of Greece, the Irish that can look for work abroad have made the move but the newcomers are experiencing mixed results in getting work that keeps them beyond survival status in the city.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/17/newcomers_from_ireland_find_fellowship_if_not_a_pot_of_gold_on_st_patricks_day.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 pm

If you have a spare $5 bill and want to check out Toronto while job searching, the National Job Fair is back for two days this week (Wed & Thurs). Mind the no cameras/recording devices rule-put those cellphones/mobiles on silent mode and stash them into pockets or purses. http://thenationaljobfair.com/n/en/information/venue_dates_opening_hours.html#Article3

While I wish the admission could be a dollar based amount, it must help to offset the presenters' time when they give their hourly talks. Some of them are repeat presenters and some are new.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Quebec has a program attracting newcomers to its province. French citizens are among the arrivals. Getting adjusted to a new land and its customs are among the things that are explained to them when they reach Quebec.

An article in L'Express International explains that there is a time of transition that is usually experienced by each personne hoping to make a new life and work career in Quebec.
French link: http://www.lexpress.fr/emploi-carriere/emploi/arrivee-au-quebec-mode-d-emploi_1260277.html?xtmc=quebec&xtcr=4
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Two job fairs take place in downtown Toronto next week:

Monday, Sept. 23-Salon Bilingue, a bilingual job fair, will be held at 100 Front Street West inside the Fairmont Royal York Hotel (across the street from Union Station, if you are taking public transit from Toronto or outside of the city).
http://www.francophoniecanada.com/Liste-des-exposants-Toronto.html List of exhibitors is shown.

Tuesday, Sept. 24 and Wednesday, Sept. 25-The National Job Fair (fall edition) will be at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front Street West.
http://thenationaljobfair.com/n/en/information/venue_dates_opening_hours.html

The latter fair does have an admission charge of $4.95, while the former fair has no charge. Besides, visiting the Fairmont is a nice look at one of the better hotels in the city. There are shops downstairs as well.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Much talk about the young people not having a fair go at jobs that provide a living for them especially once after post-secondary school's completed. Don't have experience in your new field? You are likely wishing you had volunteered somewhere or had an internship (paid because you have costs too) during school so you can add at least one thing to the resume.

But chin up--remember that parents had to start somewhere, especially if they moved to new lands and take whatever work was quickly found. Youth might have to take survival job to have some money coming in and park material dreams into a drawer on a notepad.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/09/27/youth_unemployment_private_sector_must_help_kathleen_wynne_says.html

I did not understand co-op much in school myself-just knew some peers had a half day at school then a half day at their placement. Not sure that everyone had a ride to their co-op jobs. That's another aspect-how does a youth get from point A to point B if there is no transit/ticket/support to get to a job site in a rural or manufacturing district? Mums and dads still have to go to work-maybe a neighbour or designated driver helped or one had to go without a desired placement.

At post-secondary school, students have to pay to get into the co-operative education stream. No job assured, though. Talk about a moneymaker.
fishandchips

PreviousNext

Return to Work / Education