Pens-which kinds do you rely upon?

Work / Education

Pens-which kinds do you rely upon?

Postby fishandchips on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:52 pm

My preference currently is biased towards retractable pens, especially if they have clips attached. The clipped pens can be secured to pockets or clipboards and there are no pen caps to lose. Blue is the dominant colour, followed by black, for everyday writing.

Stick pens are cheaper in bulk quantities and the pens are commonly used as giveaways with sponsor or corporate messages printed on them. The pen tips can explode or leak after a brief period of time. Some stick pens last forever.

Erasable pens-leave that for handwriting practice and never write on the backs of written pages. Otherwise, you will be in for a cleaning session.

Fountain pens-they require practice and patience. Worthwhile to keep a tissue and some hand cream nearby if the ink blots on a finger. Rain or moisture will cause the ink to run off the page.

For the students taking notes and sharing them with other classmates: using black or blue ink will allow the copier to make legible copies of your notes for your chums. If you like lighter colours, such as green, they do not reproduce at all or poorly when copied. Save the coloured ink for personal letters, especially if you draw.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Re: Pens-which kinds do you rely upon?

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Was a fan of stick pens until they failed when needed i.e. no ink or ink explosion. Liked the Flexgrip pens; now, I rely on Bic Atlantic.

The 4-pen pack had an extra, oversize pen that was easy to grip. I use it regularly for writing.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 pm

This is probably going to read like an advertisement, but it isn't meant to be an ad.

I have a very good opinion of the Uni-Ball Signo series of pens, gel type.

They make a signature pen which you better not make a mistake with, because it will not be easy to fix. The company seems to have some ideas about signing checks and the ink can't be something-or-other. I never quite understood, but the fact is the pen is awfully good.

Then they have a whole color series of erasable ink pens, also gels, and they work very well. If you give them time to dry they will not run or transfer to another sheet and if they are really dry they really are easy to erase. It was the first erasable pen I found that didn't just rip the paper in the attempt to erase the ink. Or smear.

Who wants to use erasable ink? Teachers.

Pilot makes a very good disposable fountain-tip pen that isn't so messy or hard to use, if you need that fountain-tip style for signatures on special documents.

And I agree with one opinion up there about carrying around the multi-color in one type. I have a couple of those with three or four colors.

Now the trivia question of the day -- when little Johnnie uses the wrong marker on the whiteboard, how does the teacher erase that ink? I mean, immediately without having to go to the janitor for some special cleaner.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Hand cream or dish detergent on a paper towel or tissue-petrol products dissolve petrol products. Unless it is permanent marker, so then you hope someone has 60% alcohol hand sanitizer nearby.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Which schools have janitors these days? They are rare to see or few in number.
I have read about the Uni-pen but have yet to try writing with it. Guess it might make a pen mark almost impossible to wash out of a shirt?
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:37 pm

CielOnTap wrote:Hand cream or dish detergent on a paper towel or tissue-petrol products dissolve petrol products. Unless it is permanent marker, so then you hope someone has 60% alcohol hand sanitizer nearby.

The whiteboard marker itself is the cleaner. Works like a charm. As I recall, even the so-called "permanent marker" can be cleaned off a whiteboard by just tracing over what was written and erasing.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Work / Education