Social customs

Re: Social customs

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:16 pm

10/10/10 is wedding perfection
Published On Tue Oct 5 2010

Katie Daubs, Staff Reporter

Shhhh . . . Esther Chang and Michael Kim haven’t told anyone they’re getting married this weekend. Their family and friends think their formal wedding is in Mexico this January. Thing is, getting married in Mexico involves blood work and other red tape if you go the official route. And, a marriage at city hall this Sunday involves a once-in-a-century number: 10/10/10.

The original plan was to quietly get married this Sunday to snag the lucky date and have the big party in Mexico with the bridesmaids and cake on January 10. “We didn’t want to explain it to everyone,” Chang said. “It’s just paperwork,” Kim said of this Sunday’s wedding. “But it will be kind of cool to have that date to look back on.”

At the city hall wedding chamber, other couples think so too. The demand for 10/10/10 weddings has been so high the city took the rare step of relocating to a nearby hotel since the chamber is closed on Sundays. As of Tuesday, 19 weddings have been booked. http://www.thestar.com/news/article/871141--10-10-10-is-wedding-perfection

There was rush about a month or two ago for another auspicious alignment of numbers in a date on the lunar calendar. But the dates are still on the Gregorian calendar so what are the lunar calendar equivalent dates?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Budget weddings in Hong Kong McDonald's amongst patrons eating their meals? Would you opt for such a celebration for your marriage?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocanada/101014/canada/mcdonald_s_to_begin_hosting_weddings
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I wonder if women should be riding SIDE SADDLE? If pillion it is not such a thing, but it THEY are riding them some drastic changes are needed to the bike.

It is basically jeans for most women & men in Canada. I am one of the rare ones that ALSO wears a pair of protective though water-proof so good in cold weather to a jacket a bit longer like to over my hips & in colder weather the OTHER layer is liner that goes on inside with some snap spots & zippers.

Can you just imagine a woman on a m/c with a full face or 3/4 helmet & a scarf over the helmet? No I cannot.

No sandals for me as I wear a set of Daner 'Fort Lewis' boots that are not a racing boot, but a dutry boot & fully waterproof.

No scarf over the heads of women riders here, but a 3/4 or full-face helmet & in a while the women will realize GOOD gloves as we used it road racing is ideal for they are so protective. Not that one intends to have an accident, but really one never knows for sure.
smitty

Postby smitty on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm

i have to tell all of you this one since CielOnTap came up with many women in some religious groups cannot ride a m/c with tight pants.

This started from a Triumph Trophy I had modified to make it an ideal bike in the bush for a customer. Seeme he had traded it in on a m/c dealer in Calgary & knew it would be at a low price.

I wanted to hop on my 1000cc Vincent HRD to travel down & arrange for a friend to haul the bike back on the proper truck. ONLY my Vincent HRD was in trouble. So owner Ed told me to take his Royal Enfield 500cc. I knew I would be in trouble with the bars in fashion putting most of my weight on my spine.

Fortunately made it, did the deal & bike was hauled back to Edmonton.

On the way back my back was KILLING ME so I pulled over for a ham sandwich & was NOW riding side saddle & clocking a lot of miles.
I must have fallen to sleep, yet made all the bends, but the Grey Hound Bus nealy scared me to death & AWAKE. That whas when I rode into the ditch but noted I had half of the sandwich & my bite on that part.

I told Ed that those stupid Flanders Bars just about crippled me & no wonder when travelling down to Calgary we had to stop at a hotel & sort of help him in like a drunk though it was his back that was in trouble. Back to Edmonton, from Calgary, we helped him into his home with moans & groans. His wife blamed it on being in a Tank & hit during WWII, but she was wrong for I FELT THE SAME THING. There is no back reast like on a car or a truck.

So if the women road m/cs side saddle with a skirt I do not think they would get any distance befoe the athorities came down on the wrong thing again.
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am

I think most women riding pillion tend to sit in the normal position with a good backrest & place for their feet.

Still when riding alone, nothing about eye opener right leather pants, but more like good protective pants in case they accidently come down. The problem is trying to obtain a correct size for a woman, but most come up with the proper ones & with a narrow foot they do not fit well into EEE width most men's boots are. Personally I only wear a size 11 with a width of C & am a male, but have fitted a lot of men & women with proper climbing, or skiing boots. After ski boots were so easy to find for male or women.
smitty

Postby smitty on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Some years ago a gal in her 20s & her mother came into our sport shop. What attracted her were the sweaters knitted by Pacific Coast women. She was all for one in white, but told her the darker finish was better so she bought one.

We also had quick wrap around skirts in many of the patterns of the different Scottish people. Bought several.

He mother stated that FINALLY she had what she had missed when on her trip over to the continent of Europe. I thought for a second & said I could alswer that. Mailed up a scooter customer of a lambretta schooter knowing it would be in best of order.

The gal had mentioned the bit of not riding in side saddle form. I guess she did not bother to ask around when in Europe. The scooter there clean as could be. She wore one of the quick wrap around Black Watch skirts, had her arms around my waist as I went to the Cave & Basin to have her follow me, same with the mother, for she was in a cag on all runs. Took her to the Upper Hot Springs to look around, then finally down to their costly CPR hotel. Got a kiss from the mother & the daughter as well. So a few less hours at the sport shop, but it was good in what they purchased.

This was NOT in the days of crash helmets, for it was ealy in the 50s & the MUST to wear helmets did not come into effect till '56 here in Canada. I wore a baret or a tweed cap in those days.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Smitty, you were something of a wish concierge in addition to a store manager! Your story also points out that there seemed to be more interest in getting sights seen then worrying about the mode of sightseeing. How brave of you to lead the visitors around without a helmet.

Imagine trying something like that trip nowadays-liability insurance forms signed and in duplicate, a contract for duration of tour and conditions, safety gear and attire, permissions obtained from destinations (sometimes hard to photograph without being a guest or having someone's say so to do so)...
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:14 pm

With the common use of social media platforms for communications, do refrain from:
1) posting all kinds of personal facts/conversations on your own and your friends' pages. It is not worth the loss of friends and the Internet is full of search engines/archives. Just don't do it!

2) posting photos of other people without permission. A photo album at home is one thing, while an online album is a creature of digital persuasion and at risk of going away without a trace. Know what your country's laws are on privacy and know your platform's policy on content (ownership/re-use, etc.).

3) talking in reality as though texting language is the actual way of talking in English or whatever your native language is. Not admired much unless maybe you have a job in advertising that benefits from such knowledge.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat May 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Next month, the Smithsonian television channel in the United States will air a Bollywood wedding special. Three couples with Indian heritage (on one or both sides) will be shown at their weddings reflecting customs and apparel on their big days.
http://www.theknotnews.com/big-bollywood-wedding-exclusive-sneak-peek-19398?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=may2017&utm_campaign=news
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Beauty / Good Looks