Green Thumbs-Gardening remedies?

Re: Green Thumbs-Gardening remedies?

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:34 am

An article on balcony gardening in urban space reveals a few things about vermiculture, or using worms to compost one's kitchen scraps into potting material:

Dealing with worm juice, the moisture that drains from the composter through holes in the bottom, has also presented a learning curve. At one point, Holden and Laverdiere would set the composter over the bathroom sink and let it drip, leaving an unpleasant residue. Now Holden catches the liquid in two baking trays set under the drainage holes, and waters plants with it.

Sometimes the worms become uncomfortable if their quarters become too acidic, and demonstrate their malaise by crawling up the sides of the composter and onto the underside of the lid. That means it’s time for a dose of chalk, which Holden and Laverdiere pick up in dollar stores. Two to four eggshells a week also help keep the pH factor in balance and the worms happy.

Once or twice a year, Holden and Laverdiere should empty the composter onto a plastic sheet to harvest the castings and give the worms a fresh start, but Holden admits to neglecting this chore. Nevertheless, the worms soldier on.

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/green/article/847161--in-praise-of-worms

As urban living skews towards having more people live in more vertical buildings, balconies will seem an extension of personal space for gardening/leisure pursuits. However, with outdoor space, weather elements i.e. wind, birds-need to be considered. You don't want soil raining down on other tenants nor birds mistaking your lit windows for sunshine.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby cubed on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 am

I'm all for quirky, but I'm not sure everyone would want that starring back at them while
in the garden.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

cubed

Postby smitty on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 pm

When I was working on my two fruit orchards, my late Mother asked me if I would removed some of the weeds.

Well to an orchardist that means something you do not want to see growing. I felt I had done a good job, but my Mother complained I had removed all of the outside flower to her own little garden.

So while talking to others she would say Bob is a wonderful orchardist, BUT a terrible gardner. There goes my effort to remove the weeds.
smitty

Postby rocks on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 pm

A flower that smells like “a dead body lying in Florida for two weeks” attracted some 5,000 people to the National Botanic Garden of Belgium outside of Brussels this week, ten times their usual draw.

The plant, a striking violet flower unfurled around a green stalk, looms over curious onlookers, stands some eight feet tall and weighs in at close to 300 pounds.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/rare-8-fo ... 6C10593763

Smythe - Here is one that most gardeners don't want on their property. That is one ugly, stinky heavy plant, but maybe it should be classified as a small tree considering it's 8 feet tall.

Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby CielOnTap on Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm

It's May in the Northern Hemisphere-your indoor seedlings should be coming along a few weeks now to be readied for outdoor hardening. Or you have elected to see what garden centres have ready for cool weather planting.

Look for seed offers in-stores and check if pots from purchased seedlings can be returned for recycling. All your preparation in raking/cleaning/turning or amending soil should be completed--and your spring pruning as well.

Don't overlook $1 or other modest seed kits for beginning gardeners to try sprouting seeds in the provided medium and pot. A quick way to introduce gardening indoors and with a bright window ledge and sunshine and some water, there could be green sprout appearing in several days.

Your community may have workshops/lectures on how to accommodate gardening in small spaces or containers. An article found in the paper about a shift from beautiful gardens to sustainable food gardens:
http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/4496348-oshawa-ends-garden-of-the-week-program/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Beauty / Good Looks