Green Thumbs-Gardening remedies?

Green Thumbs-Gardening remedies?

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Bit of a stretch here but keeping one's flowers from being decimated by the insect world or neighbouring pets is key to letting the flowers look their best. Hence the thread in "Good Looks."

About roses:
Regarding Japanese beetles-are there any other solutions to handpicking the beetles from rose plants and dunking them into a pail of sudsy water? I am on week 3 of using a water/dish detergent/baking soda solution in a spray bottle for weekly spraying on the rose leaves. The beetles have decimated the leaves on one rose plant and are making some inroads on neighbouring plants or at least, attacking the rose blooms directly.

Then there is the matter of a couple of rose stems being green on the bottom two-thirds of the stems but red-like maroon red on the top third of the stems. There are flower buds visible. What the red colour signify about the soil? I have not used Epsom salts (magnesium) or chopped banana peel (potassium) to enrich the soil, but someone else did use them last year.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Green Thumbs-Gardening remedies?

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Slugs in the garden-not wanting them? Pour a little beer into shallow lids or containers and tuck the containers under the leaves of the plants so visited by the slugs. Slugs will drown.

Too many flowers in planted space-transplant a few plants into patio planters, containers, flower boxes or the spare open space getting sun to relieve the crowding. Or trim the excess ones, arrange into bouquets and gift them to others in the neighbourhood (shake the insects out first).

Area cats using your gardens as personal VIP bathrooms? You can either shallowly bury chicken fencing under the soil or place mirrors in the affected spots. Kitty clawing the wiring will take the hint not to dig any more.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 pm

As autumn in the Northern Hemisphere is here, you can be contemplating planting flower bulbs to add, supplement or replace existing bulbs. Grid paper and line drawings of your existing flowerbeds, along with notes of flowers currently in the flowerbeds and their bloom periods can assist you in determining what spots could require bulbs this season for plants next year.

One flowerbed used to show many tulips in the 1970s. This spring, there seemed to be less than 10 tulip plants from the original bulbs showing any flowers. However, as other perennials and a few annuals have been added to that flowerbed, something blooms and fills up open spaces.

Word to the wise--if you like chrysanthemums, be aware that the taller they grow, the more their leaves crowd out the sunshine available to other plants such as roses. So do consider which mum variety you plant and what the final height of them will be when putting them near other flowers. Also, try not to have mums next to sidewalks that get shovelled. I rather like a heavy load of snow on mum plants because the stems are kept away from the sidewalks and don't freeze to the walking path. Tall plants can flop over in high winds or hail conditions and those stems can cross sidewalks. Don't make more work for winter shovelling by planning your mum planting in advance.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby manga2read on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:05 pm

What will take care of the next batch of ladybugs that came out today due to somewhat warmish temperatures? They are coming out of windows, around doors, siding, etc. Noticed plenty of large winged insects (hornet? bee? brown cricket?) were sitting in the sun too. Autumn feast for the migrating birds?
a word with you
manga2read

Postby alohasand on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Would love to have a little herb planter for a window sill to have fresh rosemary, parsley or thyme for cooking during cold season. I know that bookstores or gardening stores sell rectangular planters for such gardening-easy for the gardener!

Some sprigs of rosemary put into a casserole pan with chicken broth (from a tetra pak), chicken, and vegetables gave a subtle flavour to the meal recently. Yum.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby alexhills8 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:49 am

I think a little herb planter is really nice to put in a window sill for s fresher air from the outside. I am now searching some little herb planter that could fit in my window design. Good luck for me on this searching job for a herb planter.
alexhills8

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Went outside to put a banana peel (topped and tailed, then diced) to use out by the rose canes. Forgot to put gloves (with palm patches) on, so one finger is sporting a bandage from a scratch.

Now if someone can advise how to tease out remaining ladybugs from wooden window frames, so they move outdoors or become takeout for the birds in the nearby trees, please advise. Every day, there are a couple of ladybugs here (by a window, above a door, on the threshold) indoors. I'd like them to stay outside.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Must be a warmer part of Canada for I have yet to see any of the ladybugs that really take down the aphids of my verigated pine tree that shades the home from the sun in the afternoon.

For some reason I was going to pain some insecticide around the trunk of the tree last July, but could see a maze of ants from the ground were doing the same job of eating up the aphids. Enough to where I did not paint the trunk with insecticides for it will not only wipe out aphids, but ladybugs & ants as well.

Unfortunately this terrain is simply a maze of bed-rock or massive boulders that is trying to put in metal corner posts the Surveyor & I realized this was the toughest we had ever come across & I am referring to any town or city. In trying to have a small garded my late mother found out even potatoes or carrots had a loosing battle with said rocks or bed-rock.

She demanded a lawn at the back, both sides, to also the front I unfortunately had to put in. Personally I wanted just gravel & the only shrubs or flower would be sage brush (for they can be colourful as the grow slowly through the years) so that would mean no mowing, no vertilizer or no watering. I did win on the one side beside the garage which was sheets of black plastic along with a load of gravel. No mowing to no watering since back in l978. Just a bit of weed killer or knockd out said attempt by weeds in all those yrs
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 am

Seeing a ladybug on the other side of a glass pane so that I notice its mouth feelers, antennae and 6 legs extended from its underbody was a curious sight. The bug must have noticed me because it stopped and it kept wiping its left mouth feeler. Probably stressed from my looking at it and its tiny eyes. Then I spotted a ladybug above the door and swept it out the door.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Cullen: New crop of landscapers gives us peek into the future
Published On Fri Aug 6 2010
By Mark Cullen, YourHome Columnist
If we only had a crystal ball, we could avoid so many mistakes.

Recently, I took the short trip to the University of Guelph to view 50 projects completed by the fourth-year graduating class of Landscape Architecture. In particular, the “show” featured works of the Integrative Design Studio course, taught by Sean Kelly.

This project was defined as “a solution to a problem . . . that integrates both theory and practice in the students’ work.” It required that the student create a landscape architectural design that integrated the knowledge they had acquired over the four years of the course. In short, this was the ultimate test of what each student had learned before they set out into the “real world.”

My interest, as a gardener, was primarily in the projects that reflected the changing use of plants in our world. I was a kid in a candy store as there were more ideas than I have room for here. Here are the highlights:

• The projects that would interest the average suburban/urbanite included a site in Markham redesigned to increase integration of an aging population through landscape design

• Investigating the potential for Toronto’s Gardiner Expressway as an elevated parkland, as impossible as this may sound from a political point of view. Let’s see if one of our mayoral candidates picks up on the idea.http://www.thestar.com/article/843617--cullen-new-crop-of-landscapers-gives-us-peek-into-the-future

There are some community residences where outdoor landscaping has been updated to allow for container or elevated gardening, pathways to allow residents with mobility devices to move around outdoors, and gathering areas to enjoy with friends and families. Some elements can be visible to the passing foot and vehicular traffic as well, adding to the streetscape.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Beauty / Good Looks