Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Brazilian Blowout hair treatment warning
By KRISTY BROWNLEE, QMI Agency
Last Updated: October 8, 2010 5:43am
EDMONTON - Health Canada is advising salons to stop providing Brazilian Blowout hair treatments due to "unacceptable" levels of formaldehyde amid reports of itchy eyes, breathing trouble and hair loss.

The warning, released Thursday, said the solution used for the hair smoothing service contains 12% formaldehyde, greatly exceeding the allowable limit of .2% allowed in cosmetics.

Clients and stylists at a north Edmonton salon said the popular treatment -- used to tame frizzy hair -- causes watery eyes, itchy noses.

"There was a point where we thought we would wear masks. It's usually your nose gets itchy and my eyes water," said Vichara Tuon, a hairstylist at Moda Hair and Esthetics. http://www.torontosun.com/life/healthandfitness/2010/10/08/15624861.html

If I was a hairdresser aware of the formaldehyde, I'd be looking at an occupational health and safety claim. 12% formaldehyde even in items claiming to be free of the substance--the mind is agog. And if the long term health effects happen down the road in the future, who will back up the hairdressers or clients?

Nail polish with quick-dry properties can have formaldehyde.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Formaldehyde

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Wed Oct 13 2010
Brazilian Blowout warning disputed
Health Canada says it’s risky, but chemist says they made an error
BRAZILIAN PRODUCT

Health Canada claims Brazilian Blowout solution contains 12 per cent formaldehyde.
Yorkville hair stylist Greg May is the first to admit that the hugely popular hair straightener Brazilian Blowout Solution works magic.

Yet for almost two years he’s been sending his clients to other shops for the treatments, which can cost anywhere from $300 to $900 and make even the curliest hair stay straight and supple for up to three months. “My staff is so upset with me because they all want to do it. It’s amazing. It’s incredible. It works,” said May.

But Health Canada’s recent warning that hair stylists should stop offering the 90-minute treatment, claiming the product contains 12 per cent formaldehyde, confirmed what the veteran hair stylist feared almost from the moment the treatments took off in Canada almost two years ago. “I haven’t been saying to clients, ‘Don’t do it.’ I’ve just been saying, ‘Know what you’re getting into before you do it,’” said May. http://www.thespec.com/living/healthfitness/article/266794--brazilian-blowout-warning-disputed

Why would formaldehyde from a hair product be perceived as "wow" just because the hair can be straightened with the product? It's not like salons have fume hoods with separate vents for client use.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Having dated a few red head gals, in my past, then they would be many of those wanting their hair straightened out. One was a swimming instructor so she had to keep her hair cut short to also be a guard at this swimming pool the rest of the time.
smitty

Postby smitty on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Does remind me of the Federal & Provincial Govts were highly suggesting that one put formaldehyde (if this is the same thing in some form) in for insulating their homes & so many dollars of help if they did this.

Problem was, after a while the same political parties of the Fed & Provincial Govts found out this was harmfull to the people inside said insulated homes. So out with tips of how to correct it & I think, though I could be wrong, that the same Govt heads suggested some saving is the removal.

I think this was in the 70 or early 80s, but guessing again. For NO I did not give into their idea even though my home was built in 1912.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Oh, I do recall newspapers writing about homes affected by fumes from the formaldehyde insulation. Lots of headaches with that home improvement item.

Beyond nail polish (the quick-drying stuff), where else can you find formaldehyde?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

This month, there was a news item indicating that formaldehyde was recognized as a human carcinogen.

Formaldehyde was first listed in the 2nd Report on Carcinogens as a substance that was reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen, after laboratory studies showed it caused nasal cancer in rats. There is now sufficient evidence from studies in humans to show that individuals with higher measures of exposure to formaldehyde are at increased risk for certain types of rare cancers, including nasopharyngeal (the nasopharnyx is the upper part of the throat behind the nose), sinonasal, as well as a specific cancer of the white blood cells known as myeloid leukemia. Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling chemical that is widely used to make resins for household items, such as composite wood products, paper product coatings, plastics, synthetic fibers, and textile finishes. Formaldehyde is also commonly used as a preservative in medical laboratories, mortuaries, and some consumer products, including some hair straightening products.

The report that mentions formaldehyde can be accessed through this link:
http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/roc12

The fact sheet for formaldehyde mentions opening windows and increasing airflow to get formaldehye fumes out. What about the hairdresser who is spraying solutions without benefit of respiratory masks or a fumehood? Fact sheet needs to cover more ground for various occupations using formaldehyde in their work.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby manga2read on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Paper product coatings, textile products---those things don't usually state the obvious use of formaldehye on the package or cardboard. Great, this is just like handling register tapes that have BPA in them. Hand washing is a must--soap and water! Another reason to keep hands away from your face after handling things until hand washing is possible.
a word with you
manga2read

Postby smitty on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you CielOnTap for going out of your way regarding the so called Formaldehyde for better insulation. THEN the home owners had to pay for the drilling in & pulling it out again ALL throught the Liberal then as the leady Federal Party at the time.

So there is proof that some recalled the error EVEN THOUGH THEIR HOME WAS NOT EFFECTED. We just saw it all around & knew about the fantastic erros to costs to have it removed.
smitty

Return to Beauty / Good Looks