Indoor furniture and appliances

Indoor furniture and appliances

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Home renovation shows and decorating shows have enhanced coverage of how to make one's living or working areas pleasant, functional, or updated.

Given how we were all merriment and light last month for Christmas and New Year's day, the theme of warmth and light continues with non-wood fireplaces. Yes, some models operate on electricity, while others use natural gas. Gel or liquid-based ethanol fuels provide shorter periods of enjoyment but depending on which fuel version you decide upon can determine what flame colour is obtained!

When I saw the Manhattan fireplace image by Napolean that accompanies the article, I thought that setting was in the lobby of the Doubletree Hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario. For that lobby has a stone fireplace wall and similar seating and exposed wood flooring.
http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/repairsandrenovations/heatingandcooling/article/920519--hot-home-products-all-fired-up
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Indoor furniture and appliances

Postby pysanky on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:17 pm

If nearby friends have this nice fireplace, I would take visit when I could! Warm is warm-tidy fireplace means no soot and no smoke. But cannot roast marshmallows or potatoes either.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby burnt fare on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd go for putting a grilling station in the living room/dining room instead! Not sure how I'd keep the place warm when no food had to be cooked but you can get gas grills! Paint might be an issue--stainless steel could be a nuisance during electrical storms if you, me, a family member or pet get scared by lightning. Reflections off of the grill hood could spook us more, adding to the show off of any windows.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 pm

The New Year is a time for renewing one's interior spaces, not just making resolutions. Reading magazines that show before and after images of renovations, repairs or just room furnishing changes keep foot traffic going to the shops, designers and renovators.

Your effort might extend past magazines to attending an interior design show--well, touching the fabric, seeing the room setups and meeting vendors can made flat ideas from pages seem more real and move you closer to the buying stage.

The smaller, more manageable changes would be replacing little things like a soap dish with an automated soap dispenser, changing what is on the coffee table (books or objects or flowers), buying new kitchen or bathroom towels, or getting things to help organize the winter gear in the closet.

Paint jobs might have to wait for warmer weather, time off, ventilation equipment, or skilled help if money is available.

Want to make structural changes? Before swinging a hammer, find out the permit rules for your town/city about knocking down structural walls that might be loadbearing and cause damage that will be $$$$ more than you anticipated.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Toronto has its annual Interior Design Show happening next week. A designer will be the DJ for the industry party on Thursday January 26. Check out the promotional videos:
http://www.interiordesignshow.com/

Style At Home featured the work of one interior designer, Amy Lau, in its current issue. Ms. Lau will also be appearing at the IDS next week. I wish I knew something about a deep coral carpet with grey stripes that she used in one client's living room (I did not see information on it).

Today, I'm thinking about door knobs or handsets. A troubled one will have to be replaced to stop the door from being slammed closed as the door strike and plate are not working (only one knob is on the door and it does not turn the strike at all. I realized on my walk outdoors, that a handset (yes, an interior knob and exterior knob) on a different closet would be a good model to use for the trouble closet. Then I thought of how little the average person knows about terms or words used for door hardware.

Escutcheon- an ornamental or protective plate around a keyhole, door handle, drawer pull, light switch, etc.
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

Hmm, that package of spindle spaces would resolve some problems with door knobs at home. Many doors have the pressed glass type of knob--darn things need uniform set screws (ours seem to be a mishmash of screws which I tape over to prevent nail tears). Another to-do list will have to be made up for this set of parts.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Home shows are helping homeowners think ahead to spring and renovations. Or fresh paint on walls to make rooms look new for an occasion or new purpose.

Exhibitors can offer show specials, which tend to be discounts or promotional offers provided to visitors who book their services for a project or installation. If you have done your research on products, your needs and measurements and the approximate cost of the work needed, you could find a good deal to accept. Always discuss contracts, money and policies before signing anything, plus determine who will get any necessary insurance or permits. Ask plenty of questions. Maybe you can check the exhibitor list before the show and see what online searches about past work by the exhibitors of interest turn up on your results pages.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Feeling inspired by pictures you see online or in your own magazines? Time to compile a page of ideas, brands, and makes or better yet, a stapled bundle of colours, textures, finished rooms with stuff you like and tear pages of suppliers that you'd like to consider for your next home project.

I like recycling paper and love the idea of tearing out pages from magazines to make a collage of things I like or wouldn't mind looking for at the store to read about its merits and its pricepoints.

Idea board or inspiration board--if you were to attend a home show with your little collection of pages with some text about what you want and how those pages capture aspects of the final look, you may obtain useful direction from any design consultants giving advice. Just plunking stuff down won't do. Also, have a couple photos showing your room for the project from different corners or areas in the room (think picture of the ceiling, view from doorway, view from sofa, view from corner) so consultants can see what you see. Printout plus a USB key holding your images are both worth bringing-never know if a computer program can load the image into a 3D one for manipulation to show possible designs for you!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:55 pm

We had a few fire-places like in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, but with lack of wood it was sealed off. One in Winnipeg Manitoba, but sealed off for same reason.

The one in Banff National Park in Alberta was a wonderful show piece of Mt. Rundle rock, BUT again sealed off as we lacked any wood, bar a few bowling pins damaged & brought along with our nextdoor neighbor, thank you.

Had one again in this town of Summerland built in 1912. Lots of wood for in cold winters we lost a maze of fruit trees, in the prior 50s, but also in '66 that cost me a maze of fruit trees, same thing in '68

I advertised about the wood & people were amazed the best of Apple trees all bucked up were no more the a true cord of wood for $4.00 to also a few others again a cord of wood for a 2nd trip for another cord of wood.

A few years after this dramatic of fruit trees so rally no income we sold the home & in looking for another I said NO FIREPLACE which is true.

So fireplaces did not go over well in our homes.
smitty

Postby smitty on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Mentioning the fireplaces makes me think of the one in Saskatoon that was probably part of the house that my grandfather buit prior to WWI.

The same of the home I liked so much that was built in 1912 here in S'land with its old fireplace.

I had a fellow h-gun shooter over & he noted that the two short chesterfields were quite old. That I know for my father talked a chap into building these two (not love-chairs) out of walnut & in the fad of grey to sort of a red material. What I know is that was back in 1950 & was allowed to be on display for a while. Also the original wood was WALNUT.

Yes I still have them in my living room. We tended to move often an so old furniture was often transported to the new home that was often in another city .
smitty

Postby alohasand on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm

It is nice to bring "home" with you when you move in furniture that still has wear left in it and purpose.

Personally, I like fabric on sofas, not vinyls or leather. Fabric's warm and says "cozy up here" to anyone walking past. The other cover materials are literally cold in cold weather and too sticky for hot weather. Fabric can be sat upon in almost all temperature ranges.

Wicker furniture indoors with glass tables--so not my look. Wicker is bulky; can't imagine ever having to make my own baskets as essential storage and carrier containers like pioneers did.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Next

Return to Beauty / Good Looks