Extreme Body Art

Extreme Body Art

Postby testzone on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Ottawa Public Health says it needs a bigger budget and more health inspectors to keep tabs on the increasing number of businesses that offer extreme body modification procedures — like tongue splitting, branding and scarification.

Representatives from public health presented their concerns to the Ottawa Board of Health in June and recommended a $200,000 boost to the budget to hire two additional full-time inspectors. Siobhan Kearns, the city manager in charge of health inspectors, says staff are strained and struggling to keep up with a growing list of invasive procedures offered at local tattoo and piercing studios.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Ext ... story.html

What is with the glass on the ear? I don't get that one at all. I don't have any tattoos but there are some creative ones out there and look really good. Tongue splitting is extreme and way too out there for my taste.

testzone

Re: Extreme Body Art

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Male model with full skeleton tattoo

Mr. Genest was in the news for his tattoos that provide the impression that he is a skeleton. Once I got over the shock of his presentation, I realized how he must have known exactly what he envisioned for his body art and how he must have had to save funds to pay for it.

I will admit to having seen a male in a Walmart store with a curious face that was tattooed sufficiently to remind me of Mr. Genest. It was a mild shock.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 am

I seem to remember when I was younger that saw some National Geographic magazine stories about different people around the world that did very odd things to their bodies to make them fit into some sort of standard their society had set for them to be considered full members. I wonder if this situation as outlined in that first post isn't sort of the opposite. People trying not to fit in.

What sort of insurance system do you have in Canada? I ask, because if it is a program where taxes are used to help fix people, then I say that these places that do those changes to a human body that might be a problem need to not only be closely monitored by proper medical authorities, but also should have to pay a special tax into the medical insurance fund and into a fund that covers the additional burden of having to monitor those establishments that want to do those body altering things to people.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 am

Health Care in Canada shouldn't be as complicated as it is. The National system changes depending what Province or Territory you live in. Move to another Province or Territory and it's three months of grey. Your covered by the Province you moved from but sometimes that can be a fight until you get new coverage under your new home. What's covered in one place may not be covered in another. Waiting lists for some care varies from place to place.

When it comes to Tattoos, it's buyer beware because while there are regulations, it falls more on the side of self regulation and shops/owners are only checked when a complaint is registered.

http://www.suite101.com/content/your-new-tattoo-a16668

There is no specific legislation surrounding tattooing or piercing practices in Canada. Any regulations and enforcement of them fall under provincial guidelines. There are no age regulations to get tattooed in Canada; some shops however require written permission from a guardian for a person under eighteen.

Health Canada has issued guidelines for tattoo artists, piercers, and practitioners of electrolysis. Alberta has also issued guidelines for artists practicing within the province. A reputable shop will abide by these guidelines and be willing to answer any of your questions, but ultimately it is up to you and your own judgement whether you feel the shop and artist are safe and conscientious.

Health Canada: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-assur/faq-eng.php

What health care services are not covered by provinces and territories?

Services not covered are generally those considered not to be medically necessary. Some examples include: cosmetic surgery, health examinations for employment purposes and tattoo removal. However, there can be exceptions; for example, the removal of concentration camp tattoos or reconstructive cosmetic surgery following a trauma.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I was taking my GP up to Apex to teach him a bit about skiing, in my old '47 Jeep with a wooden canopy I had built for winter use.

He knew that I was extremely touchie when it comes to Penicillin, to the fact even a small oral Pnicillin pill sent me to scratching my leg----this was so new in '52 the a maze of doctors has to come into my hospital room, test were taken on blood & set.

So he SUGGESTED that I have NO PENICILLIN on my butt. Fact is best to have it done on both butts. I would not lower myself to drive to some shop in Vancouver for the tatto, then Medic Alert came out & I carry on wheere my wrist watch would be seen, to also when riding a m/c I have a necklece hanging around my neck.

Also in finding out most hospitals do not have Medication for Epilepsy & mainly being Penidon, but sub is Mysolin, I actually carry both the Phenobarbital & the Penidon in my SUV glove compartment ALONG with smaller containers in the m/c jackets.

At least the Medic Alert gets it across to the doctors or hospital people, not that I want to be under their care in case of an accident.
smitty

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:07 pm

When I am at some m/c shops I note some of these prospective buyers or having the shop do some work on their bikes & they have a maze of the tattos on their arms, shoulders to up into their necks. Discusting to my way of thinking.

I remember I was the chap that had to supply descriptions of possible h/gun owners to also describe any scars through operations, injuries or tattos. Well I do have a scare on the upper left of my forehead, one on my left butt as the hand control lever coming to a point had made it cut in, but on my competition bikes had ball ends to not cut into the flesh of the body & I do have from right wrist down to my right elbow a knife scar when I stepped into stop this big chap for harming the other, both turned out to my talled in height then myself & suddenly the knife appeared till I broke his left hand holding the knife. Which ended the fight & my so called Good Deed.
smitty

Postby Surgeonsoul on Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 pm

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/11/ ... o-his-arm/

Surgically attaching your iPod to your body is pretty extreme. Why not get a belt attachment and save the pain. If that is ripped off by accident it's going to be extremely painful. Even just catching it on something is going to hurt.

But what happens when manufacturers release a new version of that iPod? Hurban couldn’t care less. He really barely uses it as an iPod but more so as a watch.

Why didn't he just buy a watch then? Over the top ridiculous.
Surgeonsoul
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby CielOnTap on Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 pm

The man will be setting off magnetic detectors in most stores. I hope he knows the composition of his magnets, should he ever develop a condition that could be attributed to the metals.

Just as an aside, he has a full sleeve a.k.a. a fully tattooed arm that he did the implants on--well that means the ink from the art at the insertion points could be a health risk for him. Reason I say this--I have noticed articles online of women who have tattoos on their lower back and when they request epidurals in that same region, healthcare providers tend to say no due to the ink on the skin being a possible risk if the needle were inserted through the tattoos. I wonder how many people think about a personal decision (tattoo) being a screening out factor in a healthcare setting?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

Honestly testzone, I was left sort of bewildered about the tongue splitting to the glass in the ear. I can see something that a woman will wear in dress sort of hanging onto her ear, for it is also like the costly job of having their hair done at a shop---wanting to look a bit more attractive.

I know all MPs had free access to the gym, probably along with instructors at the cost of more taxes to us. Still just recently what ever is called in body work I did not know. Though when wrestling often I got to know a few of those chaps that worked us over & they were DARN GOOD. One I got to know as Louie knew about both knees being damagded when racing m/cs to also some ease on my back that has be broken as well. An hour under the work of Lou & I felt PERFECT for the next match.

I think you know my outlook on tattos as something that is not necessary. In my work with the Cdn National Railway Express people I had to take down a lot of info like tattoes to scars, to finger printing & none realized this was needed for the insurance. For one that got fired a few year later on had a coply down of th key to letting him into the back of a CN Express car to steal some things.

The police noted his finger prints on the lock so he was hauled in over that alone.

The only scars I knew about was Ed a big Sweed I use to get along with, for he received the scar when in the Navy during WWII. Not what it looked like, but roughly what it was like & where.

Both of us were CN Exprass car men when the person to hold the position was ill, down with the flut or you name it. Good pay to us & something DIFFERENT compared to unloading Express cars or reloading them. The head man realized we were willing to take on extra hours to finish a job of unloading or loading for it was just part of the job to us.

I spent some time teaching Ed to shoot a h/gun to also use a shotgun, which was needed to be an express car man. We both payed extra money to obtain reloads as used by Trap shooter to also purchase a few shot shells of #4 shot along with 00 buckshot though I also would purchase a rifled slug shot. Never used the h/gun in a holster or the shotgun. That was all for the satisfaction of the insurance people.
smitty

Return to Beauty / Good Looks