Vanity, the issue is hair

Vanity, the issue is hair

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Hair is part of the cellular structures on the body that renews itself. I'm noticing some of the hairs that fall off my scalp have wavy ends for about 1 inch (two month's growth assuming half-an-inch growth occurs each month). It does not seem to matter whether the strand represents approximately 1 year of growth, 8 months or 6 months--some of these strands seemed stressed for the first two months of growth so there is a crimped appearance (think bobby pin wavy). Now, hair has sulphur bonds, which are manipulated in some hair processes like perms.

If those same sulphur bonds are affected while they are holding my strands of hair together on my scalp (no perm and my hair is usually straight), I'd like to know why some strands get the crimped affect while their neighbouring strands stay smooth. Is it nutrition or are there some strands switched on to be in some state of distress before going back to business as usual?

This would be a fine time to have a trichologist onboard. :)
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Vanity, the issue is hair

Postby pysanky on Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Gray/white hair has time in fashion then out but real question is--can you cope with hair as is? Some of us have less hair than in young days and some have no hair for reasons too.

Keep my hair short so not noticing that wavy strand you write of. Ask friends who might know of hair doctor.
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:17 pm

I thought I read that hair actually can be of some good in cushioning blows to the head. I don't remember when or where I read that, but does that sound correct? My memory might be wrong.

I read above that grey and/or white hair is in fashion? I must be heading into my fashionable years.

And what is the deal with alcohol in products being bad for your hair? Seems like that hard gel stuff has alcohol in it. That's bad for your hair? Hairspray has alcohol in it, yes? That's also bad for your hair? Or is it just certain kinds of alcohol, just like certain kinds of alcohol should not be used to clean your monitor screen? I kind of wonder because I thought I read that washing hair with beer was good for your hair and I know beer has alcohol in it. Maybe the beer thing is one of those "wives' tales" or whatever that's called?

Oh yes, last question -- many, eh? -- why have I heard some folks say that you can/should leave trace amounts of conditioner in your hair after using it in the bath or shower? I know the conditioner is good for hair and scalp, but that is a nasty combination of chemicals and I think leaving it in your hair for a long period of time must be horrible for your hair and/or scalp. I always thought it was best to rinse out the stuff really, really -- really times 5 -- good.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:36 pm

If static is an issue, applying conditioner to the ends of longer hair is said to provide some control. Yes, I have read the ingredient labels on hair care products-quite the chemisty lab! Hair spray has PVC, that plasticky feeling chemical.

Beer can be used to shampoo/condition hair. I remember that being an economical hair care tip said to be endorsed by models in the 1980s--in one of those little pocket guides that were placed by the grocery store checkout for impulse purchases.

I'm not kidding about the wavy part of the strands that should otherwise be straight. Image The crimps in these bobby pins are what I have noticed appearing in 1-inch sections, usually at the ends of strands but sometimes the crimping appears elsewhere on the strands.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Rhet-or-Ric:
I kind of wonder because I thought I read that washing hair with beer was good for your hair and I know beer has alcohol in it. Maybe the beer thing is one of those "wives' tales" or whatever that's called?

It does work. Way back when I did use beer to wash my hair. When you're in Northern Canada in the summer and the nearest shower is the lake, then beer is safer then dumping shampoo in the lake.

Rhet-or-Ric:
Oh yes, last question -- many, eh? -- why have I heard some folks say that you can/should leave trace amounts of conditioner in your hair after using it in the bath or shower? I know the conditioner is good for hair and scalp, but that is a nasty combination of chemicals and I think leaving it in your hair for a long period of time must be horrible for your hair and/or scalp. I always thought it was best to rinse out the stuff really, really -- really times 5 -- good.

There are some spray on/leave on conditioners on the market but I don't like them and I don't think they work.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Actually some chap that cut the hair of MEN, saved what was on the floor & used it to insulate the garage he was building. Never did know the final outcome for I moved out of that city to another some distance off.

Sort of adding on was this bit on interest to a few of us. I was at a Cdn Open Amateur Wrestling Championship.

Was also drying down with a chap well above my weight & totally bald while I had sort of a military short hair cut.

Then we heard a younger chap saying something about this amazing soap for washing his hair. So the American asked what he was using & as the other chap yelled out, it was the soap to wash him down in the shower.

That had the American saying "I would worry about loosing your hair with that soap & beleive me I know." So we were both snickering away & when the younger chap came out he was shocked at this totally bald American Wrestler. Obviously we had a good laugh at that one.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Though being 80+ years of age now I can say that most of the hair is there, but it is as light or as thin as a woman, which is noticed by the hair cutter, BUT all grey now or 90% is.

Once in a while I have to check a brush or comb for a bit of the failing hair is in either one.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Prior to my Mother passing away in '91 in my shorts for the hot summer my Mother was surprised for I did not have any hair on my legs. Well in a way like the muscle part, but had it on my chest, arms to good amount of in on my head & ALWAYS having to shave it way from my face which is sort of a pain.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Well, Smitty, you were a fortunate person not to have to worry about covering up or spending money on shaving supplies just for the legs. I cover up my legs because I have hair on them and thus I don't conform to the beauty standard expected of North American woman to be hairless below the head.

Since I tend to feel cold easily, that leg hair is vital in keeping me warm anyway--I'd be otherwise freezing year round.

Hair on my head--this past week, it seemed that I had strands with wavy ends dangling around my bangs. I trimmed off the wavy ends but I'm determined to get a haircut next month to equalize the length of the hair strands and stave off any more trims. Every so often, it is like I only see wavy hair and not a mass of smooth hair--quite an agitating feeling for me.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Beauty / Good Looks