Shoes don't fit? Try a toe tuck

Shoes don't fit? Try a toe tuck

Postby deja vu on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:11 am

Forget zapping frown lines, slimming noses, or plumping lips, breasts and bottoms.

In their endless pursuit of perfection, plastic surgeons have now turned their gaze south - down to the
imperfect "toe cascades", "cankles" and hammer toes that are blighting unwitting British women.

Fuelled by the current vogue for statement shoes - from the gun-shaped Chanel heels Madonna stepped
out in after announcing her impending divorce, to the skyscraper platforms and studded stilettos spotted
on high streets around the country - increasing numbers of women are having their feet chiselled,
chopped and filed into submission.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10538444

This is crazy. I have no issues with cosmetic surgery, when necessary but just so you can fit into your
favorite shoes. No thank you. I just think this carries things a bit to far.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shoes don't fit? Try a toe tuck

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:00 pm

A couple of years ago, I hear that toe surgery was being chosen by women wanting to get into their Jimmy Choo shoes or other designer footwear.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

This is so hard to accept as being real. FORTUNATELY most men wear normal shoes, to boots for work or duty, to sneakers for work, sports, to comfort around home. I wear sneakers (often slippers when in my home relaxing) so often at the h/gun indoor range as to ALL THE REST including the few women h/gun shooter & NOT shoes of any type.

I have never thought a woman on a pair of high heels looked good or stable. Look at your female doctors, to nurses, to waitresses, sales women & others I have missed, in probably the best for their line of work or comfort to also be wearing sneakers at the gym, jogging, at home or you name it.

A woman wanting to look sharp in a good dress looks so sensible with a pair of well made low pump shoes then the woman in stilettos or high heels. Possibly because I was part owner of a Sport Shop in Banff National Park of not only did women walk around in comfortable shoes, but also sneakers to climbing boots to after-ski footwear.

The same in this small town to the cities close to this town, in this part of the Canadain Rocky Mountains to where a woman in stiletto to high heels actually looks FOOLISH.

Prior to the part ownership of the sportshop I was also in the clothing business & delt a lot with shoes to boots for work or normal use to some of the best avaliable at the time. I am a bit backward in the old North American shoe sizes like I wear a size 10.5 in width to C width, though in a sneaker or work to climbing boot it is size 11 with D width. The best of the sneakers are size 10.5 to size 11 & always the same D width. If with is not marked I can quickly tell by trying out several pairs.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I had seen a segment on ABC's 20/20 about women who have chosen the surgery option to fit into those shoes.

Talk about having money and no concern about surgery side effects!

My preference is for walking shoes/cross-trainers for most of daily activities. Since I am a large size, finding a low or flat dressy shoe that fits in both function (decent sole with traction) and actually designed for toes where they are, is a bit of a hunt. The store catering to larger sizes have wild ideas of what they think women will part money for (over three digits). Thus, I favour one brand for the cross-trainers and as for dress shoes, they end up being the spare pair for the better part of 4-5 years unless worn almost daily at work. Then the dressy shoe cycle begins again. I have learned to buy shoes when I see them--sales may mean there is no hope of finding my size. One store chain employee told me that another large foot size customer was in the habit of buying several pairs of shoes in her size when she was aware of new stock coming in. I alas do not have that kind of capital!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Men with SMALL feet like size 6 or 6.5 not to mention narrow widths like B are a rare few. Yet you take the representives of Shoe makers like Dak, Florshiem, or Hat will only carry around samples of shoes that are small in weight or bulk of the shoes for next year. Even those putting togeather such shoes knew they are obtaining extra money to produce the best of everything even if it takes more time.

Those in the shoe business try to purchase the sample shoes. When we did IMMEDIATELY I would charge off to a phone, & as soon as Mr. Jones answered it was something like "Mr. Jones, this is Bob Smith at such & such a clothing store and we have some samples of size Hart sample shoes in size 6 to 6.5 with B width to his reply would be that he would be down immediately knowing we would be on the phone to all of our customers with short & narrow feet.

They would all be sold within a day & especially as the price would be a air below the normal price. We tried to keep it down to one pair pr customer, but sometimes we would sell two pairs if most of our customers had arrived & purchased. After all purchasing such a short & narrow width of shoe was next thing to being CUSTOM made.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Clever representatives and clever salesman yourself! Never heard of such a thing in women's footwear. Regular patrons of shoe stores could expect to get such calls for coveted footwear or their size in new stock, if they developed good terms with the store staff, or more likely, the store owner.

Despite being asked my name and address and phone number in a clothing/shoe store, I only get mailers from the store, never a phone call.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Return to Beauty / Good Looks