Ingredient listings on personal care items

Re: Ingredient listings on personal care items

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 pm

With colder temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere, you can be reaching for heavier moisturizer to keep your face hydrated and to prevent dryness. Chances are that petrolatum is in your lip protection to give lips moisture without the buildup of paste lipscreens. I had a Mary Kay lip gloss that cost me about 7 times the regular price of a tube of Vaseline petroleum jelly. The petrolatum in the Mary Kay item was just more refined I had to tell myself to justify that expense.

See what level of sun protection factor is in your moisturizer: 15 is the minimum level that ought to be mixed into your face cream. Caryl Baker Visage used to have a SPF in their creams and the product smelt like a drugstore cold cream, not like a food or potpourri scent. You can visit their website and look over their line of products.

While cosmetics may have SPF, they may not be sufficient protection against windshield glare while driving in the sun or riding on public transit. Estee Lauder carries a tinted moisturizer that is more tolerable in cooler temps than in warmer temps (the Cityblock product I had carried an aroma similar to pickle brine that took awhile to dissipate in hot weather).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Interested in the chemicals in your products? Look up your familiar brand names in the US database here. There is a scarcity of information on some material safety data sheets (MSDS), but if you jot down the chemicals you want to research, you can then look for a chemistry database to fill in some gaps.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:15 am

January 5, 2009, 2:42 pm
Tara Parker-Pope
Bugs in Your Food
As it turns out, there really may be a bug in your soup.

The Food and Drug Administration has finalized a rule that will require food companies to list cochineal extract and carmine on the label when they are used in food and cosmetics. But the new rule contains one glaring omission. It doesn’t require companies to tell you that the ingredients come from a bug.

Cochineal extract and carmine, used to dye food, drinks and cosmetics various shades of red, orange, pink and purple, are extracted from the dried bodies of the female cochineal bug. (Here’s an interesting image of the dye from a crushed insect.)http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/bugs-in-your-food/

Even natural cosmetics lines will indicate outright or through questioning that red is the hardest colour to make unless the insects are used to create the colour.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Tahiti Treat was a favourite red cream soda beverage that I enjoyed as a youngster. No idea what the red colour was but I recall being puzzled that brominated vegetable oil was in my fizzy drink.

Dyed red cookies and treats make me wonder how the "pink" or "red" hues were obtained. I am aware of various substances that are used for cosmetic products, so I read labels.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:37 pm

One brand of shampoos that I have used had some varieties on sale at the local pharmacy. So I compared the ingredient listings for the shampoo for normal hair against the shampoo for fine, limp hair-they had the same ingredients in the same order. A third variety did have some variance in the ingredients listed.

So am I buying the shampoo based on marketing alone? I like the brand but decided to compare the non-discounted variety to the one variety I ended up buying. Mind you, when the nice looking container is getting empty, that cap is difficult to flip open as there is less product in the bottle to act as a counterweight!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Fri May 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Lead in cosmetics comes to the foreground again. Notice that lipsticks sell better in tough economic times. Do you want a side order of lead with that red lipcolour?

A Simple Smooch or a Toxic Smack?
By ABBY ELLIN
Published: May 27, 2009
THE debate seems to resurface every few years. Do some lipsticks contain lead? If so, is the amount so negligible that consumers have nothing to be concerned about? Or will all those years of applying lipstick several times a day add up to a worrisome accumulation of a dangerous substance?

On one side are advocacy groups and doctors who insist that, over time, those who wear lipstick containing lead are at risk of absorbing high levels of a neurotoxin that may cause behavioral, learning and other problems. On the other side are the Food and Drug Administration and outside experts who say that any traces of lead that do exist are too minute to cause harm.

In February, the debate reared its head again when the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a coalition of health and environmental groups, issued a plea to the F.D.A. to release information the agency had accumulated on the amount of lead in lipstick. The study was conducted in response to an independent analysis in 2007, paid for by the safe cosmetics group, which found that one-third of 33 lipsticks had lead in excess of 0.1 parts per million, the federal limit for candy. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/fashion/28skin.html?ref=fashion
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:59 pm

Micro-pollutants in Swiss tap water challenge scientists
by Jeremy Allen
Geneva - 28 May 2009 | 08:55
Chemists in Switzerland have yet to discover a way to remove potentially harmful chemicals and hormones called micro-pollutants in lakes that can end up in tap water. Conventional filtering methods cannot remove the microscopic particles, which are a growing source of worry to scientists who believe their presence could, among other things, cause infertility in men. Swiss authorities are backing research projects to find out more about these elusive substances.

Micro-pollutants

This item is posted in this thread, given a previous post remarking on toxic ingredients in cosmetics. Are municipal water systems going to require additional filters to draw out the substances that are undesirable, like the micro-pollutants? I do wonder if the lead in red lipsticks is filtered out by waterworks equipment. Lead solder and metal pipe plumbing have given way to PVC pipes instead for most new residential plumbing.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Two more interesting ingredient lists:

An aftersun product with pure aloe vera contained: triethanolamine tocopheryl acetate, carbomer (that is a concern), tetrasodium edta (preservative; seen in some blood lab tubes too), DMDM hydrantoin, diazolidinyl urea. The front label also claimed to be fragrance-free, no alcohol, no color added.

A no-sting infection spray. Active ingredients: benzalkonium chloride, lidocaine. Inactive ingredients: fragrances (hey, they can sting), edetate disodium, nonoxynol 9 (seen on contraceptive packages too), propylene glycol (an alcohol better know as car antifreeze; see definition here http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/propylene%20glycol), purified water (must ask how it was purified-no indication given).

So if you plan to spend time in the sun, take the time to prepare in advance by reading your product labels and looking at ingredients lists, especially for anything that could be an allergen for you or an irritant.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:57 pm

When you think of it one needs a magnifing glass to read the labels or whatever PLUS the knowledge of understand their words which can be quite a challenge. Also the same on food products to vitamins on the shelves.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:21 pm

News in English 13. nov 2009 KL. 16.55
Nivea contains questionable chemicals

A large number of Nivea skin products contain up to four chemicals that are to be found on the European Union list of substances suspected of causing hormonal disturbances, according to a list from the Danish Consumer Council.

Over the past week, the council has asked consumers to report skin products containing substances that are said to potentially disturb hormonal balance, and has received reports of some 400 products. Nivea is at the top of the list with 28 products reported – among others facial cream for men, sun lotion and creams for women.

Another brand with eight products for both men and women on the list is Biotherm. http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article834853.ece

I would like to know which four ingredients are the ones that got the Nivea products on the notice end of consumers. I stopped using the creme years ago when the formulation had panthenol added.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Beauty / Good Looks