Ingredient listings on personal care items

Ingredient listings on personal care items

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:59 pm

The labels on six items I have gathered (1 sunscreen, 3 hair styling products, 1 deordorant, and 1 hand cream) have ingredients of which very few are simple to recognize. Aqua (water, which is sometimes listed as water), titanium dioxide (in the sunscreen), petrolatum (petroleum jelly) and collodial oatmeal (oatmeal is known for skin softening effect in water) are the ones I recognize.

The rest of the ingredients seem like possible food sources (amyl cinnamal-cinnamon derived?) morphed into fancy names or chemicals (acrylate crosspolymer-seen on the sunscreen bottle). High school chemistry classes did not involve drawing the molecular structure of sodium polyacryloyl-dimethyl taurate (in a hair styling product). Propylene glycol is in that hair product-imagine, antifreeze helps to style my hair!

I know I chose an aluminum-chlorohydrate free deodorant but the camille fragrance can be a touch strong. Most of the common deodorant brands on the store shelves contain aluminum chlorohydrate.

Have you found yourself puzzling over ingredients on personal care items at the store? Share your most interesting ingredients that you have discovered on your personal care items.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Ingredient listings on personal care items

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Parabens or its relative methylparabens exist in some moisturizers and are considered ingredients that should be avoided. However, those two ingredients are in familiar brand name products, even drugstore brands. Sigh, the quest for safe beauty products will be a long one.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 pm

The sudsing ingredient in shampoos is not too good for us either. Bubbles make me think that the shampoos are washing my hair well! Sodium laurel sulfate is on many labels.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Product labels are becoming more prominent on brand name products and even on some store or private brand lines too! Always glance at the labels to see if there is anything that concerns you from a health viewpoint or allergy concern, even the brands claiming a closeness to natural ingredients. Really.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 pm

You need a science degree to know what most of the ingredients are and to be able to pronounce
them correctly. The question is how many of those ingredients are truly necessary?

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:21 pm

There are ingredients that act as preservatives in products such as shampoo, cosmetics, and lotions to give the products a designated shelf life. Sometimes a "best-before/expiry/use-by date" is printed on the packaging, at which time the products may experience a breakdown in their ingredients or ability to do what they are stated to do.

Try leaving a home-made shampoo solution in a bottle for more than a day without some preservative and see nature make some chemistry in a bottle!

Paula Begoun has a website with an ingredient dictionary that makes for interesting reading.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby KnAs mom on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:13 am

This is part of the reason I go with organics when it comes to items I use on my children. California Babies shampoo and conditioner has no sodium laurel sulfate, DEA or fragrence. I also use their bubble bath and it's amazing. Now if only I could find an organic mousse!
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.
~~Peter Ustinov
KnAs mom

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:07 am

I was looking at the Body Shop's online catalogue-a mousse with a berry ingredient. I looked up the berry and it is a herb containing 2-1/2 times the caffeine of coffee and is a skin irritant. Maybe the wheatgrass gel could be better choice. At least the shop has testers in the store, so you can determine if the product scent is an issue or not, along with the product feel.

Citrusy scents in personal care products turn me off, as do sweet, flowery scents. When out with others, I do have to consider if anyone has allergies and use the more neutrally-scented hair care products. By the way, Aveda's Control Stick has a noticeable rosemary aroma (which reminds me of roasted chicken), so it can best enjoyed in cooler temperatures rather than humid days for hair hold.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby KnAs mom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 am

If only the Body Shop here had testers. But thanks for the heads up on the gel. I may have to check out the Body Shop to see if they carry it. Some of the things you can pick up in North America, you can't get in Japan because it's not something the Japanese would be interested in. I love organic beauty supplies! They keep the hair from feeling so heavy and dull. Of course, my husband doesn't understand but he doesn't understand half my logic. LOL!
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.
~~Peter Ustinov
KnAs mom

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Toothpaste can contain artificial sweeteners, in case you have ever wondered how the flavoured toothpastes maintain their sweetness. The brands without artificial sweeteners cost more and can take some adjustment to use. Fennel toothpaste tastes like black licorice somewhat. The toothpaste consistency of the "natural" toothpastes are wetter and gloopier, in contrast to the firmer consistency of the regular consumer brands of toothpaste.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Beauty / Good Looks