Skin care routines

Skin care routines

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Very simple one: use an apricot scrub for my face a couple of times per week (don't want to exfoliate or remove dead cells daily-could be harsh on the skin), and ensure that moisturizer is on in the morning on my face. LIps get petroleum jelly or lip balm. Coloured lip treatments are rarely used. It has been over a year since I last purchased a brand name cosmetic moisturizer product. There is no budget for that indulgence this year.

Epsom salt foot bath every so often give my feet the sensation of rejuvenation after a really long walk (over an hour) or uphill walk. Since I depend on my feet as primary transportation, they get attention. 15 min. of warm water with a half cup of salts in a basin is the remedy. Lower leg muscles release some of their tightness and relax.

Hands-with the colder weather in the Northern Hemisphere, hangnails are more evident now. I try to put moisturizer on the hands a couple of times per day and really need to apply more lotion after dishwashing (I'm not using gloves which could slow down the hangnails) Also, chapped skin is more prone to splitting-ouch-in cold weather. Gloves and mittens protect the skin from the cold, so I usually have a pair on.

This is the time of year that some scented products are nice to wear without the bother of flying insects mistaking me for a flower! Beside, the scent gives a boost to my mood. Try doing the scented product application in warm weather and notice how popular you become with bees, wasps and other insects.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Skin care routines

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Drinking water and having liquids in the diet help your skin from drying out, splitting, and basically flaking. Warm water or soups or hot tea can keep your tissues hydrated and may help to keep your hair from going into full static-cling mode (or use moisturizer or hair conditioner on the ends to keep the ends anchored down).

If not using rubber gloves for dishwashing, apply hand cream or moisturizer after every dishwashing session. My skin split in two places recently. Having shovelled snow for an extended period of time, the pressure on the hands through the shovel handle made my skin prone to sore spots as the skin was dry already. At least I had gloves on, as a windchill was present.

Since one of the ways to keep hands supple is to wear cotton gloves at night after putting hand cream on, consider applying something on your hands before putting your winter gloves on and heading outdoors. The close fit of the gloves will keep hands warm and the cream soft, while the skin softens during your activity. Less chance of split or chapped hands later!
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:25 pm

That was a bit of an eye-opener CielOnTap for I basically did nothing over my yrs to suffering from the skin splitting by the finger nails, to feet cracking up around the ankles to even bleeding.

One fellow fruit orchardist, in his late 60s when I was in my early 30s, pointed out his wife made sure he had a spoonfull of Castor Oil along with orange juice, squeezed from oranges purchased from local a store, each morning to even in the evening. His days or not having trouble with his hands was proof when I looked at them & his hand flesh was like summertime yet like all of us we were into winter pruning our trees & he did not hire others to do the work.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Sunday, Feb. 1, 2009
CLOSE-UP
Beauty's more than skin deep
Chizu Saeki, Japan's foremost skincare guru, talks about her life and her passion for beauty

By TOMOKO OTAKE
Staff writer
Skincare guru Chizu Saeki's expertise is such that her abilities have been compared to those of a fortuneteller. She can, for example, determine people's physical and mental health condition, the key experiences that have influenced them, and even their outlook on life, merely by running her fingers over their faces. Also, she has often surprised people by being able to tell them the types of skincare products they use — sometimes down to the brand.
Style setting: Chizu Saeki pictured during her recent Japan Times interview at her central Tokyo salon. SATOKO KAWSAKI PHOTO

Now just 65 years young, Saeki attributes her deep understanding of skincare to a 30-year career in the beauty industry — including stints as a beauty consultant at French cosmetics-maker Guerlain and as an international training manager at Parfums Christian Dior. But she says that what has really shaped her fundamental values on beauty and skincare has been her eventful, turbulent life. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2009/02/01/general/beautys-more-than-skin-deep/

Her grandparents gave her some wise words and habits to live by. I am find the woman's short white haircut very modern.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Sort of reminds me (though not at all like said woman) is the first time I have accidently ended up with a FEMALE doctor that took over my Male GP. So this woman looks at my hands (not one normal or finger on either of my hands due to farming, to m/c racing to h/gun shootings & YES I will admit to street fighting to protecting myself or others for the knuckles really shook her up when we first met.

To also so much of my skin is becomming old to cracking up & I was thinking it was due to my age & in honesty I am 78 yrs of age. My GP looks upon it being so much in the sun. Not on the beaches but I did a lot or surveying which had me pealing down the clothing for the long hot days to skiing along with mountaineery & browning up even as good as those with the sun bathing machines, PLUS the farming. My callacus have been at the undersides of my hands from m/c racing up to '89 & still riding at the above age, to the h/gun shooting to my daily working out on a rowing machine up in the bedroom, to balance balls of where I will use various dumb-bells. Ghastly thing is I am looking at loosing strength in my thumbs.

Stilll that is an interesting woman to read about. Interesting point is she is all grey haired (okay so true in that women are great with different colours to their hair) & I have just started up with grey a few yrs ago!!!!!!
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Wow! The woman has amazing skin! Does she step in the sun anymore? Probably not.
Good for her that she enjoys her industry and work and her customers. Rare to read about people who love what they do later in life.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby pretzels on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 pm

What you eat is supposed to help you feed your skin from the inside. The outside is subject to personal vanity and willingness to play "buy the skincare potions you think will work" games. Men and women have to choose to sit down and think about the time spent on skincare and the reasons for it. Obviously, if there are medical reasons to apply makeup to cover a skin condition or a need to avoid certain substances, then that cannot necessarily stop right away.

It is worthwhile to review products and determine if they still do the expected work or not. Sometimes, a change is a good thing (budget willing).
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby burnt fare on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Beyond sunscreen, skin care is soap, water and sometimes moisturizer. At the BBQ, no ooze on the face need show up.
Then the fly swatter snags the hungry flying critters wanting a meal of me.

Heck, most cosmetics companies are run by men but have you stopped to think how many of them even use their products? The register sound helps their skincare.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Preparing the winter skin for spring and summer? Water, a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables and a regular exfoliation plan along with moisturizer will contribute to continued cell renewal (not clogged pores or flaky dry skin). Sunscreen-time to look at the dates on your face creams and tanning products or cosmetics. Examine what kinds of sunscreen ingredients are in the consumer products and obtain a lotion for those tanning in the sun days, plus a daily lipblock and face cream. If you drive, your hands are exposed to the sun's glare through the glass windshield-apply a sunscreen product to your hands. Most lotions advise an application 20-30 minutes prior to stepping out into the sunshine, so plan that time in your daily routine. Moisturizers go on after a sunscreen, unless both formulations are in one product. Minimum sun protection factor should be 15-read the packaging.

Self-tanning? Skin exfoliation needs doing as a first step (no streaks or clumps where the product will indicate dead skin cells)-follow the tanning product directions. Some products might stain (have old clothes handy) and others will show a tan after a certain number of hours. You might choose to test a self-tanning product when you have time on the weekend to see how it works on the lower body before applying the product to arms and neck.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Latex makeup paint is in the news. The paint cover nails before spray tanning sessions-well, I can understand that the keratin nails could be firm enough to endure the peel-off after the tanning is done. But applying the paint on eyelids for makeup at fashion shows? Think this is just like whalebone corsetry-not good for health. The skin on eyes is very thin.

It seems that latex has often been used in masks on films and tv shows to alter facial appearances.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Beauty / Good Looks