Hair-natural colour is somewhat white/gray

Hair-natural colour is somewhat white/gray

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 pm

The strands upon my scalp have barely much of their original brunnette melanin showing. In fact, the colourless/going white strands can be colourless at one end and show a transition of colour midway on the strands or even at the root ends. The most frustrating part of the colour change is the fact that some strands develop zig-zag contours, as though imitating roadways seen in new car commericials. Those sulphur bonds in the hair are adding a complexity to the change in colour!

Most of the brown colour is in what I call a transitional state of dark greyishness-it is not brunette, it is not salt and pepper but it definitely has a hazy darkness to it. Aside from the eyebrows, there is residual brown still lurking on strands under the exterior or surface ones.

Thus, I ask if men of the 21st-century are accepting and even find, a natural greying head of hair on a woman appealing? I am not keen on haircolour products to bring back a semblance of my formerly dark brown hair colour. I just want the same adoration and appreciation that men sporting white/gray hairs get from the females. Is that hard to do?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Hair-natural colour is somewhat white/gray

Postby fishandchips on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Oh, you have been seeing more reports of that actor, George Clooney, again! He turns heads around and has grey hairs. Point made.

Where is the media coverage on Jamie Lee Curtis and other women allowing their hair to show its natural colours? Ahem, maybe Helen Mirren can rustle up some women for a calendar. After all, she was in Calendar Girls.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:54 am

So like any man up in his ages & believe me I am what with being 78 yrs of age. Was normal black hair, starting to loose some at the front to some spot back on the top of my head (due to m/c helmets used in competiton starting back in '47 up to '89 but also compulsory wearing of helmets as of 1965 & so right up to '08 PLUS hard hats in some line of work), to also some of it growing grey.

I do not give a darn what it all looks like, but do dislike the mass that tends to grow out both sides & back of my head untill I can get a haircut then I am happy. Thing is what use to be 25 cents as a kid to around a dollar to actually up to 12 dollars to 15 dollars & just a few days ago it was $22.05 including tax. I am not having my hair treated like a woman, just a stupid hair-cut. So wonder how the women can stand the hair dressing costs they have been going through for so many yrs from their teens up to present ages?
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:06 pm

One time, I did look for a bargain haircut-there was a salon that offered free haircuts if one booked an appointment with the new stylists. Unfortunately, the salon owner (when checking the haircutting and styling) had heavy hands on my head, making the poor head feel like bread dough in the manner that he turned my head from side to side). The haircut came in time prior to a new job and when no money was available.

I did return to the salon for hair products when the paycheques came through and did a second visit for a reduced-price cut, so I feel that I have compensated the salon for the free cut.

In the past two years, I have noticed the ads for grey hair styling products becoming more noticeable, along with the models used in the ads. Mainstream fashion magazines and editorial pieces have not embraced more mature hair colour (grey/white) unless they are lifestyle magazines reaching for the 40+ or 55+ demographic groups or promoting hair colouring products that cover the grey/white hairs.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri May 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Something I did forget, to be one of the ghastly reasons I am also loosing hair at the top. Is because I competed in Amateur Wrestling from '47 up to being a certified Amateur Wrestling Coach from '54 till '69. Now to keep myself in shape & plenty of strength in the neck muscels I did a LOT of Head Presses front & back so without question I was straining the poor hair in said area. Finally in the past few yrs that area is sort of giving up in growing. Funny life when one thinks of it.

Wish I coud contact others that wrestled yrs like I did & if they two have strarted to loose hair. To my knowledge my father right up to 83 yrs of age he still had most of his hair on & only 50% was grey to my Mother did just as well, also lived to the same age, though women have a way with their hair for part of their beauty is in their hair or how it is or was formed/treated or dressed.

Amazing that I thought the problem was due to hard hats to crash helmet while in fact is was "head bridging" for so many years.

So comes the interesting fact that some of the younger women have taken up Amateur Wrestling in so many countries & if you have a weak neck then you are easy to pin & so win, but if you can bridge then it is only down a few points & can possibly work your way out of that take-down & become the real winner. Have to wonder if they do the excessive forward & back bridging I did AND how is their hair????

Also daily I would do many other exercises I also did forward & back head bridging all those darn years.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Whilst reading an article on another health matter online, I noticed an article on gray hair from March of this year in the sidebar. The article presents one theory of how hair loses its melanin that gives strands its colour. Of course, I did read in a book a theory that endocrine hormones play a factor in the gray hair but that is for another post.

Unlocking the Secrets of Gray Hair

By TARA PARKER-POPE
Published: March 9, 2009
When we start getting gray hair, we tend to blame stress — a high-pressure job, an illness, even our unruly children.

But the link between gray hair and psychological stress is little more than folk wisdom, unsupported by numerous scientific studies. That didn’t stop widespread speculation last week, in The New York Times and elsewhere, that the newly noticed salt and pepper above President Obama’s temples were the first physical manifestations of some of the highest job pressures on the planet.

A more likely explanation is that Mr. Obama is starting to turn gray for the same reasons other people do. He’s getting older. The age of graying seems to be determined by heredity, The Journal of Investigative Dermatology reported in 2005. Whites tend to gray first, often as early as their mid-30s, followed by Asians and then Africans. About half of 50-year-olds are at least 50 percent gray. So it would seem that Mr. Obama, at 47, is a little late to the graying game. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/health/10well.html

Given that graying hair results from an absence of pigment, it occurred to the scientists that hydrogen peroxide and catalase might play a critical role in the process. Every hair cell makes a little hydrogen peroxide, but over time the amount builds up. The European team discovered that this buildup ended up blocking the normal synthesis of melanin, the natural pigment in hair.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby BigO on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:38 pm

I know this is an old topic by it is one that touches my roots to the core. I wish I could just wake up one morning and all the hairs on my head were gray/white or which ever color it is heading for. I have to agree with CielonTap, there is a strange pattern happening. The fact that I have naturally curly hair makes it even worse, I have a tendancy of looking rather Witchy (Glenda type of course) :lol: I will admit I did the hair color thing for a while when the first signs of gray started showing up but them darn little hairs up front around the crown just wouldn't play fair. They just sprouted out like peach fuzz. After while I just quit. Now of course I have friends that tell me it looks sexy :roll: then I have friends that say oh No you need to color it. I am just lucky I go with my gut feeling and my wallet says let it go. I think for our family its just hereditary. Brother started graying at the age of 25. Now lets talk pattern here. He started at the side temples just like most of us. but then all of sudden he had a streak of white going right down the middle of his head. He was appropriately nicknamed skunk! Poor guy felt sorry for him, it did look a little strange. Oh and he colored his hair after a while too.
But again for Men its different, handsome, striking, sexy you know the speel. But for women, Oh my shes getting old. Well I may have more gray on the head than I am old but I still feel like I'm 19 as long as the wrinkles stay away. Wrinkles, now theres another topic for you, creams that banish crow feet, Botox the list goes on, I just say stay out of the sun sister and out from under those sun lamps!!!! Oh and what about the silly machine they have on TV to help your profile, you know the chin thing, now that is such a joke. I am not going to get started, have a good evening.
BigO
BigO

Postby smitty on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm

When you think of it there are a lot of good looking to best of acting with grey hair & all appreciate them as they are. Also some good looking female vocalists as well.
smitty

Postby guitarblues on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Some people are more comfortable with themselves and don't fight the hair colour change as much as maybe people who are in front of cameras. Have a headturn at seeing people with silver/white hair in their 40s-50s and still wearing bright or shiny clothing, have a spring in their step, and enjoying life.

Things can be a little tense with past classmates from high school-that peer thing (who looks their age and who doesn't, what visible changes or care is evident, who's had health issues, etc).
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby smitty on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 pm

We had a female, on a m/c board, by the handle of "blueun". Actually a most interesting rider that first long trip was from middle of the USA to Alaska & back again which is a challenge. Yes she kept her hair in BLUE & to heck with anyone else. Quite a wrencher on m/cs & though a hair on the vivid blue no problem to her. Also put out some intersting write-ups some of us had the joy to follow. This was not the grey hair with a tint of blue like so many older people. After all she was around her mid-30s.

Well do I remember one time with some other gals riding m/cs in the desert terrain on a super hot day or more they took to pouring ice cubes down their shirts of whatever under the protective riding gear to making stops along the way to buy more ice to pour down. Okay so it worked for them, but they must have felt the ICE to also admitted it.
smitty

Next

Return to Beauty / Good Looks