Bruneian weddings getting costly with new trends

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:56 pm

Costly dress: A lady worker fixing up a wedding dress in one of the leading wedding accessories shop in Gadong. Picture: BT/SaifulizamAdilah Ishak
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

Sunday, December 7, 2008

THE cost of a traditional Bruneian wedding has increased throughout the years due to the rental costs at bridal boutiques and catering services which was non-existent during the 60s and 70s when all preparations for a wedding were done by the help of family members.

Back then, the bride and groom did not think twice about the wedding budget as family members often chipped in to help.

For instance, food was bought by the bride's parents and all the family members would come over to help and cooking would be done by the ladies while the men arranged the seats for guests and built the woodwork for the pelamin (wedding dais) with their own hands.

Nowadays, there are bridal boutiques to rent pelamins and wedding attires and catering services to handle the cooking.

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/home_news/2008/12/07/bruneian_weddings_getting_costly_with_new_trends

Do the wedding platforms come with water-resistant roofs in case of rain? Yes, weddings have become big business. In Canada, this is the time of year that notices about January bridal shows come out, as do promotions from hotels, restaurants and clothing shops.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Bruneian weddings getting costly with new trends

Postby fishandchips on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I support the notion of paying for things you can afford or budget for. Nothing like borrowed money to cast financial insecurity over a new marriage whilst the borrowers hope that the newlyweds will still be married when the debts are repaid.

As for traditional customs-the marriage service is one that can stay. The other ones before and after the wedding need some 21st century adaptations or replacements. Also, environmental considerations are important--not everyone lives to see more candied almonds in netting come their way as wedding favours.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Weddings have got way out of hand here in Canada. A couple I know, along with their daughter, pointed out they would not fork out the money for the wedding, but they would give them both $15,000.00 for down-payment on a home. Sensible for husband is a Fireman while the wife has a job with a lawer firm.

It hurt her when she had to fors our around 2 to 3 grand (not to mention the costs of gifts) for the clothing to be part of the wedding of a few or her friends. So the money for part of the down-payment was so much better then it being wasted on HER wedding.

I have had friends that were married at a town hall or where ever it was correct to be married officially. The money from one or both parents went into the down-payment of their own home or whatever.

I was sort of forced to attend at the PLUSH wedding of one chap & his wife I had never met. The family of the son were living on the edge & nothing was coming from the bride's family being over in England. They broke up within a matter of two years for what reason I have no idea as being friends was lost over the wedding for after all it was a different sort of life to him & his wife.

I think I was envited once for a cup of tea. Yes she took over!!!!!!
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Way back in the late 80s another girl & I were planning on becomming married late in the Spring. He uncle, who supported her, had the money for a humdinger, but we planned in lining up a wedding at the Govt Building in Banff. Unfortunately she was killed in an automotive accident by a truck driver that plowed in to car with four skiing girls in it. Her immediate death, one with a broken arm, another bruised while on parelized to die a few yrs later.

My friends have a lovely looking daughter due to lighter colour then her Iranian mother, but blond hair & cold blue eyes from her rather. The parents said NO COSTLY WEDDING & the money would go to a future home-------not a wedding cost. That is SENSIBLE & in fact what they got when married some yrs ago.
smitty

Return to Beauty / Good Looks