British Politics

Re: British Politics

Postby fishandchips on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 pm

The riots of the past week stemming from a shooting death on Sunday then later deaths from a car striking neighbourhood patrollers have resulted in the House of Commons having a sitting to talk about legislation in relation to riots. Co-Prime Minister Cameron was on CPAC (Canadian cable station covering political matters in Canada and the UK) talking about possible spot arrests if individuals are seen looting or rioting at the scenes of such activities.

I'd think that some constitutional challenges could arise from such instant justice. What would be the recourse for clearing one's name or even getting due process? Who decides what constitutes culpability?

The events of this week has people talking about how security would be affected for the Games next year. Realistically, it is hard for a populace to enjoy such an event when restrictions are made about movement, going into and out of public spaces etc on such public budgets whilst other pressing needs go begging for money. Then there are usually some malcontents that use group events as a cover for their own agendas of bop and rumble then melting away and letting the crowd take on the authoritarian response.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:48 pm

I have a friend, fellow m/c rider that is so sensible in his thinking along with what one can do to correct their m/c & its error.

Something popped up about the Govt, though others were talking about the American Govt & its screw-up".

That is the lst time I have seen him say something like "I would like to eliminte the present Govt in England. Never, before has he spoke out like this.

So I can see his point & so can so many other British people.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 pm

You never know what you will find when you are renovating. In this case a fireplace has given up a WWII secret. A pigeon's skeleton with a red capsule still attached to it's leg has been turned over to the Government. I'm amazed the hidden message is still in one piece and I hope they can decode it and share the secrets with the world.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... t-message/

Secrets from World War II may have been found in a coded message attached to the skeleton of a carrier pigeon found in an English chimney.

The bird was found when David Martin in Bletchingly, Surrey, was renovating his fireplace.

Martin told the BBC that he began “pulling it down, pulling it down…then the pigeon bones began appearing one by one by one. Down came the leg with the red capsule on with a message inside.”
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 pm

MSPs at Holyrood are due to discuss the legacy of Baroness Thatcher in a debate which was postponed by a day to avoid a clash with her funeral.

The Green-Independent group at the Scottish Parliament had set aside their allotted parliamentary time on Wednesday to hold the debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22190466

The clash happened anyways. Protestors were waving around crude signs and it was so inappropriate. Love her or hate her, a funeral is no place for that nonsense.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:44 am

If a person has a first name that corresponds to a word not considered polite in British daily use, then it could be a hurdle in using that name to get a store points card. A Swedish ex-patriot has discovered the reality with her attempt to apply online for the card with Sainbury's, a grocery chain in England.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150218/swedish-fanny-in-supermarket-twitter-sweep

The 19-year-old from Uddevalla in Sweden has worked at skincare chain The Body Shop in London for five months. But when she tried to apply for a points card with the supermarket Sainsbury’s, an error message appeared saying her first name was invalid.

According to Swedish site Svenska Namn, more than 10,000 Swedish women - and one man - are called Fanny, which was also a popular British name several centuries ago. Fanny Price is the heroine of Jane Austen’s novel ‘Mansfield Park’. But in the UK it is also a slang word for the female sexual organ.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat May 09, 2015 9:39 am

David Cameron and the Conservative Party retained the support of the electorate for a second term as governing party. 331 seats of 650 seats were counted for the Conservative Party following the May 7 election.
The Conservatives have 331 seats - five more than needed for a Commons majority - their first such victory since 1992.

Mr Cameron's rivals Ed Miliband, Nick Clegg and Nigel Farage have all resigned after election disappointment.

Sadly, leaders of a few other political parties have resigned as a result of the outcome.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2015-32659720

Electors were given a guideline about the use of photos at polling stations:
Remember that pictures of you before you go into or after you leave the polling station are great to use on social media posts but don’t take a picture of yourself inside the polling station as if you post this it could be a breach of the law.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-campaigns/its-your-vote,-dont-lose-it
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:49 pm

The Brexit may come with an 85 billion pound bill from the European Union. Much hinges on Article 50 if Prime Minister May uses it.
Michel Barnier, the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, has told his colleagues that the UK must keep paying "tens of billions" annually into the EU budget until 2020. The bill would include the UK's share of outstanding pensions liabilities, loan guarantees and spending on UK-based projects.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-election/european-union-to-hand-britain-a-50-billion-exit-bill-20161215-gtcet4.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Politics