Russian Politics

Re: Russian Politics

Postby rocks on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Where in the World, or at least Russia is Putin? Oh where, oh where could he be?

Seems to be the question at the heart of the missing mystery. The speculation game is all over the map, but I think one thing is clear, he is still in charge. I can't see him handing over powers if he is ill, even death wouldn't stop that man. If he doesn't show up for that meeting tomorrow the game will increase 100%.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/international ... d=11417779

Dmitry Peskov's patience finally ran out. "We've already said this a hundred times, this isn't funny any more."

Vladimir Putin, Russia's strongman leader, ever-present across the past 15 years, was missing. And Peskov, his mouthpiece, was struggling to contain the story.

Apparently in sound health, Putin had not been seen in public for more than a week. Where he has been has been the subject of worldwide speculation. Whatever the answer, it is beyond doubt that there was a gaping hole in Russia for 10 days.
Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Could be we have here a very clever trick to draw eyes away from other areas of life and times in, about, or around Russia. I mean, there has been some mighty untidy stuff going on in things associated with decisions that seem to have pretty much been made by President Putin.

For example, I am having my doubts as to what kind of "democracy" they are running in that particular country?

But that is their right, of course. if the Russian people want a modified version of democracy, that's really their business, right?

But that business I read recently about President Putin had notions of putting his nuclear forces on alert, that gets me thinking to what it was like during the Cold War days. Do we really want to go back into those times?

No, I mean do the Russian people really want to go back into those times?

It really is a very important question.

Anyway, I suspect the fella will surface all smiles for the cameras and there will be all sorts of no big deal stuff in the Russian media.

EDIT: It is a number of hours since I did this post and I just took a look over at BBC, and guess what? Just like I suspected, all smiles.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31904882

And I am serious about the smiles. He's got one of those big you-know-what grins on his face in that image. But it does note in the caption that it is a photo on Twitter. I guess BBC wasn't invited to see him return to the limelight. Wonder if he really was in Switzerland?

EDIT #2: Seems the Twitter picture has been replaced at the top of the page with a video clip of some kind. I guess my first look at the article was soon after it was posted.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed May 20, 2015 2:18 pm

On Yahoo News' portal today, there is an item about a 17 year old young girl forced to marry the policeman/Putin point person in charge of Chechnya. The groom is 30 to 40 years older than the bride. He also is married and said to have a second wife as well. His offspring are older than his new bride. Much official comments seem to be dismissing any awkward observations about the age gap as well as any alleged assaults or threats to coerce the bride's family into ensuring the bride was married to the groom. Let alone the fact that the bride had a boyfriend who was allegedly beaten...

This is Putin's Russia and Chechnya in 2015. Remember the summer of 2008 when Putin appeared at the opening ceremonies of the Summer Games then had to head home to take care the fighting in Chechnya?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 pm

The late Alexander Litvenenko's name is back in the news again. The former KGB agent had died a prolonged death
from suspected poisoning. A new report discusses the likely "who" behind the agent's death.

http://atimes.com/2016/01/uk-report-points-to-putins-likely-role-in-ex-kgb-agents-death/
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby up-down on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Unarmed Russian fighter jets made two extremely close overflights this week of the USS Donald Cook, sailing in the Baltic Sea, CNN has learned.
Navy officials are not commenting publicly, but inside the Pentagon there is an intense discussion about releasing video and still photos of the Russian encounter to demonstrate the danger the jets posed to the ship, a U.S. official told CNN.

One of the Russian jets flew within 75 feet of the Cook's ship superstructure.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/politics/ ... index.html

Judging by the video, the sailors smile suggests they were not too concerned by this. It's more like the bully on the playground thumping his chest towards Poland. Childish, and just asking for trouble, because it could have escalated on the spot.
Inside out, round & round, upside down. Which way am I going?
up-down
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby pretzels on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Vitaly Churkin, Russia's ambassador to the United Nations, died recently, He was 64 years of age.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/world/europe/churkin-russia-ambassador-un-death.html?action=click&contentCollection=Europe&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

How he was known to other dipolmats:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/world/europe/vitaly-churkin-russia-ambassador-un-death.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-0&action=click&contentCollection=Europe&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

There is news online that the hospital that Churkin was taken to had called in medical examiners to find the cause of death. Heart attack was mentioned in initial news stories of Churkin's passing.
Think about this though-last week, the half-brother of North Korea's leader was killed at a Malaysian airport by poisoning. Now this politician has passed. Could there be a connection.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Previous

Return to Politics