Syria 101

Re: Syria 101

Postby Speak-Ez on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 pm

I haven't had much time for posting, but I'll use this thread for a general statement about what the wonderful Western Media is categorizing this whole series of affairs as the "Arab Spring".

I am not so sure it's a good idea to be pushing all these demonstrations that are getting a lot of people killed. I say the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." is very appropriate here.

If one takes a close look at Egypt I'm afraid that maybe that hasn't turned out the way people thought it would.

Syria, of course, is a different country. But a country where one had best tread very lightly. I see possible outside influence of the worst kind getting in there if things go wrong.

What do I mean by, if things go wrong?

I mean if anarchy sets in.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people having freedom of choice in their lives and I mean choices of all sorts, but a headlong rush to bring down a working government may not be such a great idea.

Anyway, just a thought.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slider on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Syrian forces killed at least five civilians and moved into a town near the Turkish border on Tuesday, activists and witnesses said, even as Turkey's foreign minister pressed President Bashar al-Assad to halt assaults on protests against his rule.

The anti-Assad Syrian Revolution Coordinating Union said two sisters, aged 6 and 11, were among five bodies brought to a hospital in the town of Tibet al-Imam after military raids on villages around the besieged city of Hama.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44072806/ns ... kF5ZWNqCSo

He doesn't care as long as he shuts down the protesters. He is prepared to kill thousands if not millions to keep his power. No one is going to invade him to stop the bloodshed so why not just keep killing the threat to his hardline rule. Removing the ambassadors of allies is not going to make a difference at all.
slider

Postby smitty on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:48 pm

THEN we have this riot in London England & some of those people be they of the rioters or some of the business people they are both being hurt all because England allows some of the wrong people into England, money to their pockets, to speciall free training into many forms, but then we are doing the same thing in Canada.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Syrians in the restive region of Homs performed special prayers for a major Muslim holiday to the sound of explosions and gunfire as government troops pushed forward their assault on the area, killing at least 11 people Sunday, residents and activists said.

The violence on the first day of Eid al-Adha, or Feast of the Sacrifice, added to fears that a peace plan brokered by the Arab League last week was unraveling and prompted Qatar's prime minister to call for an emergency meeting Saturday to discuss the Syrian government's failure to abide by its commitments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45180425/ns ... rbvtnIWd2I

Did they really think he would obey any order to stand down? His only interest is sending a strong message that he is the boss and wont tolerate any voices that want to remove him. Easier to kill them and shut down the cause than to work with them and improve conditions.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surgeonsoul on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Dozens of soldiers and security forces were gunned down by suspected army defectors in southern Syria, a deadly ambush that comes as President Bashar Assad increasingly appears unable to manage the crisis, activists said Tuesday.

Monday’s hours-long clash in the southern province of Daraa came on a particularly bloody day in Syria, with as many as 90 people killed across the country. The brazen attack by the army defectors suggested a new confidence among troops who have sided with the protesters and highlighted the potential for an armed confrontation to escalate.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... bours?bn=1

Nothing short of an outside invasion is going to shut this power happy nutcase down. He doesn't care how many die as long as he is in charge. Why would he give up all of the stolen millions he lives off of while the country suffers?
Surgeonsoul
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Syria's president has said that he feels no guilt about his crackdown on a 10-month uprising, despite reports of brutality by security forces. In an interview with the US network ABC, Bashar al-Assad said he had given no orders for violence to be used against protesters but admitted "mistakes" were made.

He said he did not own the security forces or the country. At least 4,000 people have been killed since the uprising began, the UN says. However, Mr Assad said the UN was not credible. Syria blames the violence on "armed criminal gangs".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16065131

Why are Ambassadors returning when the violence is continuing and the Leader is not showing any sign of slowing up? No surprise he's not taking responsibility, why would he? Easier to lay blame elsewhere and that is exactly what he is doing.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Canada will not shutter its embassy in Syria, officials said Monday, after the United States evacuated all diplomatic staff and closed its embassy in the country.

A spokesman for Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said that Canada is not considering following the U.S. lead.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Canad ... story.html

It's not a case of follow the leader (US), it's just the right thing to do. The Ambassador and his staff are in danger as long as they are there and speaking out. The Syrian Government doesn't respect their own people, he would rather kill them and retain power, so why would we think he would leave our staff alone?
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rocks on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:09 pm

The Red Cross has begun moving women and children from part of the besieged Syrian city of Homs, officials say. Syrian Arab Red Crescent ambulances are moving them from the suburb of Baba Amr, which has been under heavy attack, after negotiations earlier in the day. Injured journalists are among those awaiting rescue, but the International Committee of the Red Cross says it wants to evacuate all those in need.

The news comes as a major conference in Tunisia is pushing for aid access.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17157549

They better move quickly and get to those journalists now because this will be their only chance. The Syrians can change their mind in a second so no time to waste getting to them or they will not make it out. They will become pawns in this whole mess if left behind.
Thinking outside of the BOX - what BOX?
rocks

Postby pretzels on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:22 pm

How many different groups have to ask for entry and time with the government to get the message through that a government has blood on its hands that it cannot wash out, but the government can choose to stop its actions. That does not seem to have been chosen.

Deaths of journalists in Syria are also occurring.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby pretzels on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Old salt on board.
pretzels

PreviousNext

Return to Politics