Canadian Political Watch

Re: Canadian Political Watch

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Smitty

I see this as an interesting time. Harper brought this upon himself with his actions. The voters sent
him a strong message: Play nice with the other kids on the hill. Reach across the isle and work
together in the best interest of the country. Instead he tried to bankrupt the parties, leaving us
with a one party system to vote for. His ego is running him and instead of working for Canadians
hes working for his own interests. Even his own party is unhappy he pulled this, he was warned
not to, and he followed his ego and now has put us in this position. We would not be in this
place if Harper had stuck to doing his job instead of playing games. How does bankrupting the opposition
parties help the country?

He blew this one big time. Im not concerned about the Coalition at all. All of the seats will be filled
with Liberals and NDP, no BLOC in sight. They are just a voice, part of the decision process but not
the final word. I dont see a problem with it at all. If Harper is not going to do his job then they are
within their right to bring his govt down with a non confidence vote. Harper said every vote is a
confidence vote so this is no different. He cant cry foul and use fear mongering when he pulled the same
thing 4 years ago. Even sent a letter to former GG Adrienne Clarkson about creating a coalition that would
have included the BLOC.

This is democracy at work and its up to our present GG Michaëlle Jean who will have the final say. I dont
envy her, this will not be easy. At least she is doing her homework and seeking advice from many before
making that decision.

I dont like that Harper is spending taxpayer money on ads to slam the opposition and fear monger. We are
part of a world wide economic crisis and hes wasting our money on this. How about he just gets over the
fact he has to work with them for the best interest of the country and not his own personal agenda.

In the past I liked some of the ideas Harper had for Canadians but what turned me off was when he started
playing games and using fear as a way to get what he wanted. I expected him to do his job after the election,
I did not want him to try to turn Canada to a one party country by trying to wipe out the opposition parties.
I didnt like that as the opposition leader he would attack the liberals for pre election spending, and then he
turned around and did it just before the last election. Millions of our dollars out the window. Either hes
against it or for it, cant have it both ways. I lost any respect I had for the job he was doing when he started
the games.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:48 pm

I want to see some government activity this month in terms of helping Canadians and employers get through the money troubles. So "no" to any notion of prorogue at Parliament.

Going rogue in Canadian politics so that the PCs can buy another two months of time won't hold up with the electorate. Remember the election results, after 5 weeks and $300million, were pretty much the same as before the 2008 election call?

I am going to see if in Quebec's election, any ridings show more than 2% of rejected ballots out of the total ballots cast. I saw that 2% in 3 or more ridings in Quebec for the federal election. Will Jean Charest coast or be toast in the election? Pauline Marois sounds like she knows her issues, Mario Dumont is not really standing out for me and Jean Charest has not answered why investments lost so much value.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Harper must be really rattled by the mess he created. During Question Period hes screaming
about separatism and how the coalition papers were signed without a Canadian Flag in sight,
yet Don Newman just showed the images from the signing and there is a flag to the right of
the table and right behind it. Not a Quebec flag in sight, only Canadian flags so not sure why Harper
would say something that he knows is a lie and can be easily shown to be a lie.

He says a coalition including the Bloc is a betrayal. Then it means that if he had carried through
with his coalition plans 4 years ago he would have betrayed Canadians? He cant have it both ways.

Harper loves to fear monger and hopes no one finds out that he tried the same thing. The GG has
her hands full with this one. She is walking into a mine field and I hope she is not easily bullied by
the likes of Harper. Any respect I had for Harper is gone, hes pulled to many things, promising
much and not carrying through. In the case of the set election date, his promise became a reality
and then he broke it in the hopes of getting a majority govt. Thankfully he did not get one.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Looks like a Canadian flag to me.

PM may suspend Parliament
Bid by Harper to avoid confidence vote

To save his job and his government, Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected within Conservative
circles to prorogue, or suspend, Parliament this week while his party blitzes the country with a
public-relations campaign aimed at discrediting the notion of a Liberal-led coalition government.

The Conservative party began airing radio ads Tuesday while ministers and other Tory representatives
were appearing on as many all-news television channels and talk radio programs as they could to push
their party’s message that they will not, in the words of one of Harper’s senior advisers, "allow a new
radical government without the people’s consent."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/suspend+Parliament/1021160/story.html

Now Im really mad. Shutting down the govt during a world wide economic crisis and spending our tax
money on ads so he can save his job. The job he is not doing and we will pay the price. The country
needs a leader and hes playing games. He caused this mess by not doing his job, he chose to play games
to get rid of all of the opposition parties and now this.

He should be kicked to the curb by the GG. This is totally unacceptable. He caused the mess and the country
will now pay the price. This is not leadership, hes on his usual ego trip. If this goes to an election he should
be gone just based on the fact hes willing to ignore the economic crisis and shut down the govt all in the attempt
to keep a job that he is not doing.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

A column from the Globe and Mail on options that the Prime Minister of Canada has available to him:

Harper's Options
Andrew Steele, today at 1:41 PM EST

"We will use all legal means to resist this undemocratic seizure of power," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said yesterday.

Here are the ten options the Prime Minister is likely reviewing:

1. Preemptively Remove Michaëlle Jean

This is the true nuclear option for Harper: a preemptive strike against Jean to remove her from office, and replace her with a governor-general sympathetic to the argument that the people should decide in an election.

The roots of this option are found in the last major constitutional crisis in a British Parliamentary democracy, the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis.

I'll let you review all the background in this excellent Wikipedia article, but the key passage for our purposes is this:

“(Governor-General) Kerr was unwilling to warn (Prime Minister) Whitlam that he was contemplating dismissing him, fearing that Whitlam's reaction would be to advise Elizabeth II, the Queen of Australia, to remove him as Governor-General instead - advice the Queen would be compelled by convention to follow. Though this might appear to be an unlikely proposition, it was constitutionally possible, and in the peculiar circumstances of the crisis could not have been ruled out.” http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081202.WBSteele20081202134134/WBStory/WBSteele/

Has anyone else picked up on Mr. Harper's tack of not listening to his advisors? That was the accusation levelled at Mr. Dion during the election campaign-later it was disclosed that Mr. Dion wanted to do his own thing. Now it seems that Mr. Harper is using that logic. During the election, the CPCs had some public relations missteps. Mr. Layton made a sweater joke.

Duceppe was a cool debater in the French leaders' debate.

The outrage really is about the economy not getting attention from the government. Mr. Harper had two international trips on the matter so far. Let's see some help. And how about getting the forestry industry's money from the US that the Conservatives gave back to the US, even though industry was to receive reimbursement of overcharged tariffs?

Note what the Governor-General can do as the Queen's Representative in Canada:
The Governor General today performs official duties on the advice of the Government. The Crown’s presence in Canada is still evident in the Governor General’s constitutional powers, including:

choosing the Prime Minister of Canada. By convention, this means selecting the leader of the party with the majority of seats in the House of Commons. However, in the event that no party has a majority, the Governor General will call upon the party leader most likely to keep the confidence of the House of Commons.
summoning Parliament, giving Royal Assent to legislation, and signing State documents.
dissolving Parliament which, by convention, means accepting the advice of the Prime Minister to proceed to an election within five years of a government’s life. If, however, the Government is defeated on a vote of confidence, the Governor General decides in the best interests of Canada and having the advice of the Prime Minister, whether to proceed with an election or ask the Opposition to form the Government.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Information/library/inside/institutions-e.htm#role
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:45 am

The ugly side of Jean's job

I hope she has a large bottle of Tylenol standing by. On second thought perhaps a bottle of Scotch or what
ever she drinks would be better. Shes going to need it. I do hope Harper shows some class around her
and for once tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth. In other words lets her know that he started
this mess and wont fix it. That he has no intention of playing nice with the other kids on the Hill, and
never did. Just said that to get re-elected.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:54 pm

That is a very good cartoon! In case the other members and guests missed it, I will bump the thread.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 am

9:30 AM EST Thursday Dec. 4th Harpers sales pitch to GG Madame Jean begins. If she grants
his stay I hope there is a leash involved. No Senator appointments, no Judges appointments,
no spending money and above all FULL Cooperation. A word Stephen Harper needs to learn
the meaning of.

I hope that part of that leash includes a stay in a (padded) room for Harper, Dion, Layton, DuCeppe
and a mediator and no one leaves until they all agree on a economic stimulus plan and then put
it into play.

I would prefer the coalition be put in charge but if not then a very short leash is in order. But if
she grants it we still are back at square one because he will still have to face a non confidence
vote within weeks and he will lose.

Madame Jean has her hands full with these misbehaving children.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 am

This has been a hard one to follow with all the changes. Mind you the media is tryimg well, but they do tend to exaggerate things. It seemes like since Monday or Tuesday the media has been saying "this is being changed minute by minute". Well I feel that is media local slang. Personally I feel like it is seems to be changed about once a day.

It will be interest to see what comes out once Harper has had his chat with the Governor-General. This poor woman was never expecting anything like this. After all Cdn has never had a coalition attempt since back in around 1018-1920. Most GGs just present medals or whatever, to sort of travel all over Canada & Europe to waste a maze of tax payers money.

Mind if we Cdn tax payers feel pomp & ceramonie(Sp?) is a must then those that have acted the position of Governor General have done a fine job. This poor gal is in for some serious business & one has to wonder what is finally decided.
smitty

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am

I was listening to the talk of President Bush & what he felt were his wrong doings in office. He seemed most let down by the info he received from some depts or officials about Weapons of Mass Destruction which was a 100% error & Bush said he wished some of them were different on this matter

So when I heard Harper said there was no Canadian Flag when the three signed about this coalition matter. I would say that was an error by one of his people for there were plenty of the correct flags & when then comera zoomed in on the three to take the picture & yes the Cdn flag was there to the left, but probably one of Haper's advisors, tired from all that has been going on, had missed the flag & claimed there was NO Cdn flag. All one needed was the blink of one's eyes & then it would look bare of any flags.

So sometimes ones advisors are not exactly perfect. Well look at the PM of England when England was going to back up the Americans in Iraq, someone that wrote his speech copied most of the words as written for an essie of collage student in the USA & why the PM of England believed in WMD & said it so often. Yet so many believed WMD were all over Iraq at the start of things though those studying or looking around for Nuclar items or even clues could not find a thing yet so many believed differently. All because a President & a Prime Minister said there were WMD.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Politics