Canadian Political Watch

Re: Canadian Political Watch

Postby proud canuck on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:18 am

Listening to the media and reading a lot of blogs and comments you would think that Canadians in this country never learned anything about the Parliamentary System.

Frankly, I don't care whether we as canadians like what the opposition is doing or not... It's completely legal and a part of the Parliamentary System!!!

And no you can't ask for proroguation stupid! It is not an option - We don't give someone the ability to pause a stuation in real life cause it's not working in their favour... So why would we in this case? Think about the precedence it would set?

We need to support our democracy and how it functions even if it's not the situation we would like to see.
proud canuck

Postby deja vu on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi proud canuck, welcome to SpeakEz.

I have lost all faith in Madame Jean. I have not heard one word about any conditions, has anyone heard
if he has any placed on him? If not we are in big trouble. He can stack the Senate in his favor, the Judges
in his favor, and look for new ways to shut the opposition down and leave us in the hands of a one party
system. Once again he lies about wanting to work with the opposition. Before, during and after the
election he said he would and did the opposite. Does anyone really think he means it now?

Hes going to plaster attack ads against the other parties for the next 7 weeks. I will put new batteries
in the remote so I can change tha channel every time his ads show up. Not interested in lies and broken
promises Harper keeps putting out.

Democracy just went down the toilet.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishandchips on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Canadian Parliament Closed in Bid to Keep Prime Minister in Power
By IAN AUSTEN
Published: December 4, 2008
OTTAWA — With the approval of Canada’s formal head of state, Prime Minister Stephen Harper shut down Canada’s parliament until Jan. 26, seeking to forestall a no-confidence vote he was sure to lose.

Mr. Harper, who won re-election less than two months ago, acted after receiving the approval of Governor General Michaëlle Jean, Queen Elizabeth II’s representative. Had his request been rejected, he would have been forced to choose between stepping down or facing the no-confidence vote on Monday. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/world/americas/05canada.html?hp
Sigh--I feel that line from Much Ado About Nothing applies to the situation in Ottawa about Mr. Harper (paraphrased): With one foot on land and one foot in sea, To nothing constant ever.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 pm

So due to the prorogue things have been halted in our Cdn Federal Govt system & all the yelling that goes on in the House of Commons till January 26th.

Obviously a first here in Canada. Time will tell what starts to show on Jan. 26th.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 pm

It sets a dangerous precedent for the future. Dont get your way, just shut down the govt. She has
created a greater problem and a huge loophole for any PM to just walk away and call for a time out
to avoid facing a non confidence vote. I think she made the wrong decision.

Listening to some tv news im wondering if she had an ulterior motive. She and her husband are known
to support separatism. Seven more weeks of his attacks on the bloc, alienating Quebec. So far its
strengthening those that support separatism and perhaps that is what she wants. I cant see any Conservatives
winning or even finishing second in any race in Mondays Quebec elections. Harper has guaranteed
that with his attacks this week.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:09 pm

80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm

I am not certain that the public health department and city council in Ottawa would approve the quick appearance of a food stand just because the Prime Minister is running the stand. Usually, this matter takes months to get approved.

80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I am not a Liberal backer, but last evening Dion's staff really screwed up. At the major CdnTV staions a number of times they were stating they should have a video from Dion & it did not arrive as staff were to late in delivering it. When it arrived----well not the fault of Dion, but his staff. Who ever did the video----well it looked not the work of a novice for the colour was way off line, while focus wat not on Dion, but on the books behind him in his office.

So there is another party leader that has counted on his immediate staff to do a proper job & they failed. Worse yet in such a case it becomes world wide & now the media is claiming Dion will have to step down sooner then he thought.

Sounds like it will be Bob Ray to sort of take over, but how can he for Dion is to be top man or PM of this coalition? Shows how things can become so darn mixed up ESPECIALLY when it is ALIVE through the TV end.

I can see Bob Ray as being the campaining lead man to actually one that would like to become the leader of the Liberal party, but must be voted in as Liberal Party Leader for some others are willing to run to become the leader of the Liberal party as I read it.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 pm

It was written in the newspaper that the digital camera's auto focus button was broken, so that explains why the background was sharper than Dion's image. In that case, why not try a cellphone or webcam video? Pity that the party did not have a video camera on hand to do a Rick Mercer-style rant video. That would have been more effective.

Yes, the communications team on the Liberal side needs some teens to get the video stuff sorted out.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 pm

Smitty

I agree Dions staff screwed up big time. Comedy of errors come to mind. Bob Rae as Liberal leader
scares me more than Dion. I remember his stint as Premier of Ontario and dont want to see round 2
with him as head of the Liberal Party. As for Ignatieff Im not sure hes the right one for the job either.

I think they need to get a new leader now, not in May after another election has been called. They will
be finishing behind even the bloc if Dion is leader in Feb.09.

Harper needs to go as well. Time for the Conservatives to get a new leader now. Hes managed to divide
the country, demonize Quebec and thrown any hope of unity right out the window.

It was okay for Stockwell Day to write the bloc and ask if they want to join the coalition to bring down the
Chretien govt, and 4 years ago Harper taking it further by asking the past GG Clarkson. When they wanted the
PM job they were willing to go to bed with the bloc and no one was name calling. Now that their jobs are
on the line the same bloc, same bloc leader are the devil, evil. Separatists will destroy the country. Well they
have been quiet for years but Harpers attacks have woken them up. Who can blame them. Hes a hypocrite,
when he needs them he works with them, but when they can cost him his job he attacks them.

Hes burned all bridges in Quebec, they wont be there when he needs them in the next election. He could have
handled this like a responsible leader, instead he sounds and acts like a dictator.

Im wondering what will happen at the end of January. Wlll he run to Madame Jean again to close parliament
right after the budget speech before a vote can happen? How will he get Quebec to support him in the next
election. Thanks to Harper shooting off his mouth instead of making his feelings known in a responsible way,
the country is more divided than it has ever been. Hes got Canadians hating Quebecers. Canadians hating
Canadians. That is not how a leader should be running a country.

Its been widely reported that a week after Pierre Trudeaus death Harper attacked him because he did not like
the man, his politics yet this week Harper is suddenly complementing him and adding that PET would be turning
over in his grave about what is happening, what the Liberals are doing. One year attack, another praise. I see
a theme forming with Harper.

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics