US 2016 Election

Re: US 2016 Election

Postby deja vu on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Majority of Canadians are just as horrified.

The Canadian immigration website already crashed once, and may again as the reality sets in. A hate filled man that thrives on fear mongering, loves dictators and if you are not white and speak more than one language the road will be more than bumby. He has egged on so much violence and it seems to be continuing as his supporters take advantage of his win.

I wonder how many will move north for 4 years or just come for 6 months at a time for some calm and normalcy.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kittydiva on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm sure not just many Canadians, but many people all around the world are also horrified. I know many are thinking of emigrating, but I've concluded for me, it just doesn't make sense. I dion't know anyone, and The Guardian was reporting that chances of someone getting in permanently are not really good...

I reread Jessica's second article, and she is so determined NOT to give up. We do need to keep fighting. The Intercept has a cool article about some high school students who staged walkouts in protest. Good for them! https://theintercept.com/2016/11/09/high-school-students-protest-donald-trump/

I just have a very hard time understanding how anyone could support him. I understand being frustrated economically. What I DON'T understand is because of that latching onto someone who spews "let's hate this one and that one..." How can that mindset be turned around? I guess folks forget something about a rising tide lifting all boats.
kittydiva

Postby deja vu on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:51 pm

Majority of Canadians do not like him, do not want him crossing the border and will not be bullied into any trade deals. I don't know the rules for immigration, dual citizenship, marrying a Canadian, have a job offer to work here, buy a business here or visit the country for 6 months at a time if one can afford it and take a break from the craziness that is trump. The lawyers know way more about it.

People think he is the savior and they are clueless of how dangerous he truly is.

I wish you luck, all of America is going to need it.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Firstly, let me make a point, please. Speak-Ez is for all peoples all over this planet. And for those few up there in that little place above the planet. So I tend to stay away from discussions about the politics in any one nation.

I think, though, that the system they use in the United States to choose their presidents and other elected officials isn't such a bad one.

It worries me a little bit — maybe more than a little — when I read news stories about teachers participating with their students in a protest over the result of a democratic process for electing a president and vice-president. I mean, your best teaching tools are the manner in which you conduct yourself in front of younger people, like students. I worry about the lesson those teachers are offering to their students by that sort of thing. Was that on a school day?

Another thing that surprised me was when I watched the two speeches by those two presidential hopefuls after the election was over.

That Mr. Trump individual looked really sincere in the way he spoke to the people. I suppose one can learn to look that sincere and still not mean it, but that sure looked really sincere, as if he meant what he was offering to the people.

On the other hand, that Mrs. Clinton individual did not look at all sincere. It really looked staged. Again, it may just be the style of that one individual and it can't be helped and the individual is really sincere.

But there was a very interesting moment at the end of Mrs. Clinton's speech when she had just finished thanking everyone — she looked down. It really gave a strong visual impression that the thank you was not sincere.

Well, I should correct my language above. It gave me the impression she was not sincere.

Also, don't some people think that maybe the people of the world should wait and see what the Mr. Trump individual really does as a president of the United States before condemning him?

Another thing, if you state to the world that you are horrified that Mr. Trump became a president of the United States aren't you then stating that you are horrified at millions of people who voted for him?

Actually, I personally have a hard time being horrified by somebody I don't know unless they have done something terrible enough to justify the label of horrible and as a president the Mr. Trump individual hasn't done anything yet.

On the other hand, his first speech as a president-elect seemed very tame for a person who we should be horrified by.

But, again, being horrified by the fact that Mr. Trump was elected seems to be a sort of condemnation of the system that allowed him to be elected. And a condemnation of the millions of ordinary citizens of that country for voting for him. That doesn't seem too polite to a lot of people.

By the way, I do not represent the Speak-Ez Community, so please don't misunderstand this post. I guess I am just placing my own thinking here. You members are the ones that represent this Community. I'm just the mechanic that hopefully keeps the machinery upon which you post in some sort of order so you can type and read on this site.
________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm not sure how US citizens will be able to visit Canada for six months of the year at a time. On another forum, there was a discussion about how the US Internal Revenue Service determines Canadian visitors' six months and they are not necessarily comprised of 180 days in a row, but through a calculation over three years. So even just crossing the border on a daytrip and returning to Canada can count towards that IRS tally of time in the US. There is some tax implication as well.

I have to see if Revenue Canada has a similar calculation for international visitors in Canada. I'm aware that visiting performers or professional athletes fall under some tax rules if their paid work/visits are under 10 days' duration. They or their management team either gets tax withheld at source when paycheques are cut or the performer/athlete is responsible to remit their taxes to Revenue Canada themselves, depending on what arrangements or contracts are made.le

Is there a reliable US news site that shows how many votes the other presidential candidates received from the US voters? I had seen some information regarding votes for Trump and for Clinton, the number of eligible US voters and the percentage of voters that did not even vote. But nothing on the other candidates' results.
http://www.cnn.com/election/results/

From a Twitter account I follow-exit polls (demographic breakdown of voters):
https://twitter.com/XLNB/status/796436326627221504

And this interesting tweet about eligible voters, percentage who did not vote and who voted for which of the two main candidates:
https://twitter.com/mlevchin/status/796410721328242688
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:50 pm

If they have the money, or relatives to stay with they can visit Canada for up to 6 months. Just need a passport and the funds. If they bring the pets, they need
Vet records to match the animal. Best get a chip implanted and things will move a lot smoother.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... -1.2593479
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kittydiva on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Hello -

I want to address a few things Speak-Ez said. I certainly didn't watch the "acceptance speech" - I have no stomach for him at all. Not that I really like Clinton - the best I can say about her is ---- she's not him!

But I really want to address this: Speak-Ez said:
"Another thing, if you state to the world that you are horrified that Mr. Trump became a president of the United States aren't you then stating that you are horrified at millions of people who voted for him?"
Yes - I'm horrified that folks would be so swayed by hate and bigotry. And please, make no mistake, his campaign was run on hate and bigotry. If you haven't, please read that first article by Jessica Valenti. That should give you an idea of the mindset that propelled this...

I did read about those student walkouts - certainly they gave me a bit of hope. I didn't notice much about teachers being involved, but that could be tricky. On the one hand, yes, we want students to be their own agents, on the other hand, if the teachers really do agree with the protest, should they be denied their own First Amendment rights? Not an easy issue...

And if you want more evidence of how bad this is, there was this article just at commondreams, and it's not pretty:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/11/10/heartbreak-and-outrage-minorities-recount-day-1-trumps-america

To me, it's really sad it came to this...
kittydiva

Postby up-down on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 am

The ugliness of his words, egging on violence has become a reality in America. Non whites are in for a rough time, kids pick up what adults say and do and it's taken over the schools. Friends one day, the next being bullied by their white former friends. When kids threaten others just for being non white you have a serious problem. Trump may be quiet now, but all of his words, the talk of it being okay to sexally abuse women, attacking Mexicans, building a wall are now taking over. If he goes after Clinton as promised, it will be nothing more than a kangaroo court, she would not be treated fairly because Trump and his supporters do not say we are sorry. They want her to be guilty no matter what.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/americans-d ... -1.3154508
Inside out, round & round, upside down. Which way am I going?
up-down
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby kittydiva on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:30 pm

Already I saw Trump has said the protests against him were "unfair" and he started blaming the media. I think you have a good sense of what's at stake, up-down.

Yes, I think we're in for a rough patch for sure. We need to PRAY, organize, resist, oppose any policies based on hate, bigotry, or misogyny as best we can.

Somehow we MUST get through this.
kittydiva

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 pm

I understand that there are some US citizens taking on the wearing of safety pins, like some UK citizens do, as silent protest to actions of their leaders. In the UK, the Brexit vote outcome prompted the pin protest.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/why-people-wearing-safety-pins-following-trumps-win-160521990.html
http://screencrush.com/rogue-one-safety-pin-protest/

Of course in the US, I expect there to be some kind of opposition to safety pins being worn for safety and public health reasons. Never know when a pin may be pressed upon by wily hands or against something and pose a sharps hazard to another.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Politics