US 2016 Election

Re: US 2016 Election

Postby trailblaze on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:42 pm

by Speak-Ez -
Once again, I wish to point out that technically those members of that group called the Electoral College aren't mandated by law to choose the person the voters' chose.

I wonder if that small detail means the United States is not really a democracy?

In any other country, it may not be considered a democracy, at least I don't think so. The US system is broken, with questionable voting machines, and that votes are not the only voice. They should be, the peoples government, should not be overturned by an electoral college, most could not tell you who makes up that group or if they are acting for special interest groups. It needs fixing when the voters are not the final word.

Meanwhile it is Super Tuesday -

Georgia - Clinton and Trump
Vermont - Sanders and Trump
Virginia - Clinton and Trump
Alabama - Clinton and Trump
Oklahoma - Sanders and Cruz
Massachusetts - Clinton and Trump
Tennesse - Clinton and Trump
Arkansas - Clinton and Trump
Texas - Clinton and Cruz
Colorado - Sanders
Alaska - Cruz
Minnesota - Sanders and Rubio
trailblaze

Postby keychain on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm

That field has narrowed considerably after last night.

Tough pill to swallow for Marco Rubio when your own state (Florida) will not back you up and takes Trump instead.

Cruz, Trump and Kasich are left standing on the Republican side, but Trump is way ahead of them. It may backfire on the Repubs if they try to take down Trump and put Cruz as their choice against the Dems. Trump has many supporters and voters may feel like the Republicans are ignoring their choice as nominee.

Plus the Supreme Court nominee is playing monkey in the middle right now, caught between Obama and those Republicans that do not want to do a thing about it until they occupy the WH. The man has worked for both sides of the fence, heck Bush Senior put him on the payroll and now they are acting like he is poison. They sure are playing politics with this mans life.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03 ... tcmp=hpbt2

Donald Trump revved his already surging momentum with a big string of primary victories Tuesday night, narrowing the field as he expanded his delegate lead – while still facing a challenge from the two remaining competitors.

The Republican front-runner came away from Tuesday’s contests with at least three wins in hand. The biggest prize was Florida, where he defeated Marco Rubio in his home state and knocked him out of the race, pocketing all 99 of the state’s delegates in the process.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03 ... tcmp=hpbt1

Yet within minutes, Republicans doubled down on their opposition to confirming any nominee in an election year, insisting that the vacant seat not be filled until a new president is sworn in.

“It is a president’s constitutional right to nominate a Supreme Court justice and it is the Senate’s constitutional right to act as a check on a president and withhold its consent,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on the Senate floor.
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Donald Trump remains a popular figure with Mexicans-first it was for Halloween costumes. This weekend, effigies of Trump-to burn.
The burning is part of a widespread Mexican Holy Week tradition where neighbourhoods burn effigies to represent Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Jesus Christ according to the Bible.

The effigies are often modeled on unpopular political figures.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-easter-effigies-1.3508754?cmp=rss
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby no1home on Thu May 05, 2016 1:14 pm

It is pretty much official now. Unless the conference is hijacked and with the RNC in a pickle over Trump anything is possible.

For now Trump is their pick to run for President and the world is in shock, shaking their heads at this news. Trump, 4 times in bankruptcy and yet he is closer to the big chair in the White House. What the heck is going on in the US when The Donald could pull off what we thought would be impossible. Hoping they would wake up and see the light, BUT and it is a big one, who was any better to take over? The rest of the RNC lineup is just as bad as Trump and the party is badly divided. Now they have to decide to get their act together or just hand it to the Dems.

Their two choices are no better, but Bernie is a better choice than the Hillary and Bill show. Does anyone believe he will not be a shadow President? Hillary has too much baggage and I think she would be the 2nd worse they could come up with. Given how nuts it is in the US election lead ups, I have to wonder if either Democrat can win against Trump. I get they want a major shakeup, but The Donald as a choice is in the "out of this world" catagory.

Either way the US is in serious trouble, who ever takes over. So much fear and hate for so many in their society, and the willingness to openly discriminate against that group, I don't know if any of the 3 can undo this mess.
no1home

Postby deja vu on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:10 pm

I don't believe this, but not really surprised. Hillary has won the Democratic nomination. So now the dog and pony show is Hill vs The Donald.

What has the world come to when it comes down to two people that should not hold the White House keys, so who is the lesser of 2 evils? Don't know and glad I don't have to decide,
but the world still has to live with the "can't believe I am saying this" winner on November 8th.

A shadow government with Bill probably running some of the show in the background, never far away, or Donald and his big mouth. Neither has really given the world a hint at how they
will fulfill their promises, lots of yapping and no substance.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am

Donald Trump faces an extraordinary money deficit unheard of in modern presidential politics, entering the month with tens of millions of dollars less than Hillary Clinton.
Clinton's campaign had $42 million in the bank as of May 31, according to its report filed with the Federal Election Commission Monday. Her super PAC Priorities USA has $52 million.

Trump's campaign has $1.3 million.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/politics/ ... ald-trump/

Have they hit the 1 billion mark since this all began with so many people trying for the big seat?

Just imagine all the good that kind of money could do if they spent it on health, education, seniors Vets, etc. Such a waste just to see it go to print or tv ads to get your message out that you want the big chair. There will come a day when no one can afford to fight for the WH, especially when the process is over a year in the making.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:08 pm

This has to be one of the most odd/stupid/ridiculous election cycles in recent history. It's got drama, lies, fear and hate all rolled up into one.

The Trump campaign on Tuesday dismissed criticism that Melania Trump directly lifted two passages nearly word-for-word from the speech that first lady Michelle Obama delivered in 2008 at the Democratic National Convention, calling the complaints "just absurd."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-camp ... -1.3685476

When you compare them it's clearly plagiarism loud and clear. Not ubsurd and given their tactics so far they would be having a cow if the womes roles were reversed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... elle-obama

Michelle -

“Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values, that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do,” Obama told the gathering of Democrats in 2008.

“And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children – and all children in this nation – to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

Melania -

Trump told GOP delegates on Monday: “From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise.

“That you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow, because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

Trumps wife said she wrote the whole speech on her own, but the campaign said her team did. It does show evidence of plagiarism, no denying that. Instead of answering questions about it they just blame it on Hillary.

This is a fear/hate campaign based on lies, and it shows the pathetic state of American politics. It is going to get a lot uglier before it's all over.

Edit - It is now official. The Donald is the republican choice for President.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trailblaze on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Who is Tim Kaine, Clintons choice for VP? Bet I am not the only one asking, except those from VIrginia who really like the guy. The former governor of the state and a senator until this chance at VP.

So far all that know him seem to like him, except the repubs who seem to think if your not over the top Trump outrageous you must be dull, boring and not ready for to be a VP.

Tim Kaine -

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

Speaking Spanish will be a big plus in this election cycle -

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -president

Tim Kaine, Hillary Clinton’s newly minted running mate, had barely taken his place at the podium in Miami when he started speaking Spanish.
Who is Tim Kaine? Clinton's 'smart political pick' for VP a bipartisan favorite
Read more

“Bienvenidos a todos en nuestro pais, porque somos Americanos todos,” the senator from Virginia said. It translated to: “Welcome to everyone in our country, because we are all Americans.”

Of Clinton, he said: “We’re going to be compañeros de alma [soulmates] in this great lucha [fight] ahead.”
trailblaze

Postby no1home on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm

It is getting more dangerous by the minute. You have Trump on International News suggesting Putin and russian hackers keep looking for lost emails on American computers. Then he denies even knowing Putin and says his comments were sarcasm, but only a day or two after he got hit with the brick wall of attacks for his comments. I would think it borders on treason for a US Presidential candidate to even suggest to bring a foreign government into the election to help him win. I have seen the past Trump interviews, and so far his I don't know him, haven't met him is coming up on the side of lying through his teeth. Many interviews, many takes on Putin. Does know him and works closely with Putin, his government and other Russians on projects. He only talked to him on the phone, or met him and got to know him quite well and now says he does not know him or do business with him. So which is it? Easy question that he can not seem to answer.

Top republicans are bailing so fast, and probably more to come. His supporters are mad that an actor who played an American Sniper based on a real story, are furious, laid some threats and boycotting his movies. Trumps biggest supporter might be Ann Coulton who for some republicans finally crossed the line. She attacked the parents of a muslim soldier whose heroics in the Middle East saved many of his team, and he gave his life for it. Yet all Ann Coulter got out of it was a big mouth muslim and then his name and couldn't even spell that right. That man died protecting US freedoms and she attacked his parents for talking about it at the DNC.

The hate that is wide spread in the US election cycle is terrifying to most. I have never seen anything so disgusting. Talks of treason, asking a foreign government to interfere and hack US computers, hatred for parents and their dead marine son because they are Muslim. Threats of killing Hillary not just from Trump supporters, but also high level Republicans leading the charge. Hang her in the National Mall, or by firing squad. What the hell is going on in the US, never seen anything like this before and hope I never do again.

Even Moodys ratings are saying the US will prosper under Hillary and be in big trouble with Trump, and he attacks them as well.

~~~~~

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/msnbc-u ... ith-putin/

GOP nominee Donald Trump has been facing scrutiny recently for his alleged ties to Russian president Vladimir Putin.

Earlier this week, Trump came under fire for suggesting that Russian hackers should “find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” In the same press conference, given in Florida on Wednesday, Trump said, “I never met Putin, I don’t know who Putin is. He said one nice thing about me. He said I’m a genius.” Trump also said he hopes Putin “likes me” if elected.

But MSNBC unearthed an interview from three years ago that suggests Trump not only knows Putin, but also was aware Putin was monitoring him in some fashion. The interview was conducted by MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts in Moscow, ahead of a Miss Universe pageant. “I do have a relationship, and I can tell you that he’s very interested in what we’re doing here today,” Trump told Roberts, when asked about his relationship with Putin. “He’s probably very interested in what you and I are saying today and I’m sure he’s going to be seeing it in some form. But I do have a relationship with him and I think it’s very interesting to see what’s happened.”

~~~~~

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ms-w431755

“You know what this convention really needed?” she wrote Thursday night in the middle of Khan’s speech. “An angry Muslim with a thick accent like Fareed Zacaria.”

The man Coulter was attempting to reference is respected Indian-American journalist Fareed Zakaria (Coulter misspelled his name), who holds positions at CNN, The Washington Post and The Atlantic.

~~~~~

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/busin ... .html?_r=0

Hillary Clinton’s speech attacking Donald Trump’s economic proposals on Tuesday mentioned a new analysis that says his ideas — if enacted in full — would bring about a “lengthy recession” by the end of his first term.

That report, released on Monday by Moody’s Analytics, a subsidiary of the credit rating and research agency Moody’s Corporation, explores the consequences of the policies Mr. Trump has proposed in speeches, interviews and on his website. Those policies would, under almost any scenario, result in an economy that is “more isolated and diminished,” the authors concluded.

“If Mr. Trump gets precisely what he’s proposed, then the U.S. economy will suffer meaningfully,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics. “It will result in a lot of lost jobs, higher unemployment, higher interest rates, lower stock prices.”
no1home

Postby deja vu on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Is there any more of this to come? Seems every time Trump opens his mouth another possible lie comes out or a new low on attacks. I still can not believe he openly attacked the father of a fallen soldier who basically called him out during his speech at the Democrats convention. The mother stood there, and did not speak and I don't think anyone would blame her for letting her husband do the talking and he did a heck of a job. I was wrong, and still disgusted by what Trump is trying to do.

This man lost his son on active duty, his actions saved fellow soldiers, and yet Trump came out with what has to be one of the stupidest/disgusting comparisons. He said he sacrificed as well for the US by creating jobs for Americans, he did not say soldiers, just Americans. How does creating jobs compare to the lose of a life, a soldiers life? I wold love an answer to that one. This man had spoken from the heart and Trumps response to the mans wife and then to the father seems more like a horrible slap in the face.

It gets worse when I learned today that Trump never saw action, never active in the military. Instead he had 4-5 draft deferments over the years. There are no records to show why, lost or covered up is open for discussion. He claims it was because of a bone spur, but can not remember which foot, then today his team said it was both feet. I shook my head at that response, wouldn't you know if it were one or two when you give the reason?

In another bizarre twist, Trump said he was fully involved in building the War Memorial. From what I have heard so far is that he was on the Board, showed up to the first meeting to set the board up and then once more when a reporter was trailing him for an article. Twenty meetings missed and only 2 that he showed up for, I don't call that fully involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/khizr-khan ... -1.3702302

Donald Trump rejected criticism from the father of a soldier killed in Iraq who said the Republican presidential nominee had "sacrificed nothing and no one" and questioned whether the mother was allowed to speak during the couple's appearance at the Democratic convention.

"I think I've made a lot of sacrifices," Trump told ABC News in excerpts of an interview posted on Saturday. "I work very, very hard."

Khizr Khan, a U.S. citizen of Pakistani origin and a Muslim, won widespread praise when he spoke Thursday at the Democratic National Convention, telling the story of his son, U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan, killed by a bomb in Iraq in 2004.

"Did Hillary's script writers write it?" Trump asked ABC's George Stephanopoulos in the interview.

He said he has, indeed, sacrificed by employing thousands of people, and raising "millions of dollars" for veterans.

Trump said Khan appeared "very emotional and probably looked like a nice guy to me."

~~~~~

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-t ... d=41015051

In an interview with ABC today, Ghazala said she did not speak because she was "in pain."

"Please. I am very upset when I heard when he said that I didn't say anything. I was in pain. If you were in pain you fight or you don't say anything, I’m not a fighter, I can't fight. So the best thing I do was quiet," Ghazala said.

Khizr Khan said he asked his wife of 42 years to speak, but she declined, knowing she would be too emotional.

"I invited her, would you like to say something on the stage when the invitation came, and she said, 'You know how it is with me, how upset I get,'" he said.

Pressed by Stephanopoulos to name the sacrifices he’d made for his country, Trump said: “I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot.”
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Politics