US 2016 Election

Re: US 2016 Election

Postby kittydiva on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:26 am

HI again deja vu -

Well, you were really on top of this one. After seeing your post and catching up on some tv, I saw blurbs that it was going to be on the local newscasts. He actually did issue an apology (!) and a lot of fellow Rep.s have condemned this, although not too many have actually withdrawn their support (that was in The Guardian). What is with that? What will it take? How he gets any support is beyond me.
kittydiva

Postby deja vu on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:49 am

It gets worse Kittydiva - Just when his words could not be more disgusting, a new tape has emerged from one of his many times on the Howard Stern show. Now I do not listen to the show, but assume
that it is heard around the world.

On one occasion, Stern asked Trump if it was okay to say that Ivanka Trump is a nice piece of a**, and he said yes it is. His own daughter and he thinks that is okay. That is beyond creepy and disgusting,
and have to wonder how her and her husband must feel. How do you look your daughters in the eye and tell them it's okay that Trump said that and much worse?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/ ... ard-stern/
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 pm

CielOnTap wrote:Carly Fiorina-former head of Hewlett-Packard before its value went downhill and there was a merger with Compaq.

I saw a comic strip that mentions Donald Trump in an aspirational way for a panhandler:

A reader of the Hamilton Spectator wrote that the paper needs to provide coverage of Mr. Trump's campaign because he is the best thing to be in US politics.
I have to wonder how much attention US papers are giving to Canada's electoral campaign for federal seats.

Still believe that the comic captures the essence of the candidate running for the top US government job.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby kittydiva on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 am

deja vu wrote:It gets worse Kittydiva - Just when his words could not be more disgusting, a new tape has emerged from one of his many times on the Howard Stern show. Now I do not listen to the show, but assume
that it is heard around the world.

On one occasion, Stern asked Trump if it was okay to say that Ivanka Trump is a nice piece of a**, and he said yes it is. His own daughter and he thinks that is okay. That is beyond creepy and disgusting,
and have to wonder how her and her husband must feel. How do you look your daughters in the eye and tell them it's okay that Trump said that and much worse?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/ ... ard-stern/

You really do keep up, don't you, deja vu? Oh that attitude is creepy and disgusting all right. I hadn't seen that one; most discussion I've checked out of very late has been about that second debate. Don't know if you caught it, but I certainly didn't. This XXX*** ( or whatever disparaging remark someone wants to call him) makes me absolutely ill. But he has unleashed a torrent of rage against the GOP'ers who spoke out against him, and if elected he wants to put Hillary C. in jail. This guy is so dangerous it's REALLY scary. And I didn't want to wallow in filth so I didn't read the article, but The Guardian had one that talked about his "supporters" in some bar - apparently someone said: 'he opened a can of whoop-a** on her." Is that what we've come to ---- wanting our leaders to be so unhinged? At least in the one article on commondreams, they had some tweets that told it like it was: his rhetoric about jailing his rival was the attitude of a dictator.

I mentioned before I was thinking of emigrating. That's a scary prospect, too. I don't really know people elsewhere, even in Canada, which would probably be my #1 choice. I had also thought "Scotland" and just started reading a bit on that and it said a) it's quite difficult if you're not married to a Scot, of Scottish ancestry or an EU person; and b) fairly expensive. After the debate I'm wondering again if I should really consider this.

I also quite recently rejoined the ACLU. Within the past two weeks, I called the NJ chapter and asked if anyone could give me ideas of how to protect myself if this nutter should (God forbid, please - and I mean that!) "get elected." The assistant I spoke with said no, they don't do that. So I asked if they could even refer me to someone - lawyer or whoever - who might be able to. And she said --- oh, we don't do referrals. Great. I wouldn't know who would be good and you really have to be careful to get one that is both competent and has some integrity. Persistent pest that I am, I just might call again and see if in the wake of that debacle of a debate they might do SOMETHING - maybe have someone write up some ideas to protect one's self from this menace and put it on their website or something. It's might be good to have a "survival strategy" just in case.

Which reminds me: I ran across this article in doing some other searches. You might find it on target:

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/09/29/america-is-literally-in-an-abusive-relationship-with-donald-trump/

Don't know if there was much new material in it, but I found her take on the context quite good!
kittydiva

Postby kittydiva on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:14 am

Hi CielonTap -

That comic is something. Sad - and scary - that anyone at this time would aspire to be ------ well I just run out of disparaging names for him.

That comic is funny; it's just too bad that "candidate" isn't.
kittydiva

Postby deja vu on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 am

Creepier is him admitting that while no men are allowed backstage when the pageant contestants are changing, he said he has a free pass as pageant owner and uses it. He said they range from naked to getting dressed and he is front and center watching. That is disgusting.

As for Canada, at any given time there are 900,000 to 2 million Americans living here. I have heard there are social clubs to get together, talk, sightsee, etc. Just a word of warning if you move to Quebec, you will need some french language skills. It's a beautiful province to visit, but you need french to make the transition easier.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2562300/heres ... to-canada/
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kittydiva on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi deja vu -

All these revelations just make him creepier and creepier. What a menace.

Is moving to Canada an option for me? It's a shame that none of my extended family is thinking of going... would be less scary for sure. Of course things like those social clubs and all would be helpful at any rate.

As far as French skills - I did study French in h. s. and first two years of college. Of course that was back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I believe (and believe it or not I saw somewhere an article suggesting there WAS some sort of dino still around when us humans came along). I do think some study and all would get me going again, but Quebec probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Maybe the U. N. or some group could lobby the Canadian gov't to open up to refugees from this ***!!! if he should be elected. He certainly is dangerous enough to have that be allowed.
kittydiva

Postby deja vu on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:36 pm

I would start with the immigration lawyer mentioned at the beginning of the article. He clearly knows his stuff. You may not be aware, but Canadians can spend up to 6 months in the US and Americans can do the same in Canada. Some will come for a visit and do a lot of homework while in the country and then go home and review it all and make a decision. If you are near a Canadian Consulate/Embassy, they should be a wealth of information, but some think it's best to come for a visit for a week or two, get the lay of the land and stock up on the information on moving to a province or territory in the country.

I'm not sure that arguement will work on them, but this is unchartered territory for Canada as well if he wins. French is taught in school, starting in elementary school, but most of us lose the skills if we don't use it on a daily basis. Outside of Quebec it is not as widely used, unless your job requires it.

We are not so foreign from the US and most first time visitors are surprised to discover that.
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kittydiva on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:11 pm

deja vu wrote:I would start with the immigration lawyer mentioned at the beginning of the article. He clearly knows his stuff. You may not be aware, but Canadians can spend up to 6 months in the US and Americans can do the same in Canada. Some will come for a visit and do a lot of homework while in the country and then go home and review it all and make a decision. If you are near a Canadian Consulate/Embassy, they should be a wealth of information, but some think it's best to come for a visit for a week or two, get the lay of the land and stock up on the information on moving to a province or territory in the country.

I'm not sure that arguement will work on them, but this is unchartered territory for Canada as well if he wins. French is taught in school, starting in elementary school, but most of us lose the skills if we don't use it on a daily basis. Outside of Quebec it is not as widely used, unless your job requires it.

We are not so foreign from the US and most first time visitors are surprised to discover that.

Hi deja vu -

I did go back and visit that article. Indeed that fellow does seem to be quite knowledgeable. I think the nearest consulate that handles any immigration info is in New York City which is -- bit far for me. Yes, an actual visit to Canada would be nice (at any rate!) - of course getting there, then coming back and all - wouldn't be so easy for someone who has done VERY little traveling at all for years. I think the article - and a forum I'd visited before- said the whole review process could take months... talk about nerve-racking :)

"We are not so foreign from the US..." Oh for sure... that's a BIG reason why if I were to move countries, Canada would be on top of the list.

Thanks again for all your insights...
kittydiva

Postby deja vu on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:21 pm

The consulates/embassies may have a fax or email that you can use to contact them. Beats going all that way to ask questions. Do you have a passport? Drivers licences don't cut it as the only ID at the border anymore. Plus they are a great form of photo ID.

This may provide you with some information. We have a new government since Nov. 2015 and rules have and will be changing so a fax or email to a consulate/embassy is a good place to start. The old government did everything it could to put up walls, but thankfully they were sent packing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/live/
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Politics