American Politics 101

Re: American Politics 101

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:14 pm

One more staffer with a Clinton administration connection to join Team Obama:

Korean-American 'Whizz Kid' Joins Obama Team
Updated Nov.19,2008 08:24 KST

Korean-American Audrey Choi has been chosen to join U.S. President-elect Barack Obama’s transition office. The 40-year old is the only person of Korean descendent on the team. Choi will be in charge of the economic advisory committee due to her former job as chief of staff for the White House Council of Economic Advisers during the Clinton administration.

Choi, who grew up in New York, graduated from Harvard University magna cum laude and studied East and West German feminist literature as a Fulbright scholar at Georg-August University in Gottingen, Germany, from 1988 to 1989. She worked as a correspondent for the Wall Street Journal in the unified Germany from 1991 to 1995. In 1996, she applied to the White House Fellows program and was chosen as special assistant to the Federal Communications Commission chairman. At the tender age of 30, she became domestic policy adviser to vice president Al Gore and chief of staff for the Council of Economic Advisers in the White House. In 2000, at the age of 32, she was chosen as one of the 100 People to Watch by the monthly Washingtonian.
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200811/200811190003.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger willing to work for Barack Obama's administration
The California governor tells Fox News that he will help the president-elect's administration 'in every possible way.'
By Michael Rothfeld
November 21, 2008
Reporting from Sacramento -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger spoke to President-elect Barack Obama this week and would be willing to work for the Democratic administration once his term expires if asked, the Republican governor said in an interview broadcast this morning.

"I will help in every possible way the administration to be successful," he told Fox News. "So whatever they need, I'm there."

The only qualification, Schwarzenegger said, would be permission from his wife, Maria Shriver.

"Before I make any move, the next move that I make, I'm going to go to Maria and say, 'Maria, you tell me what to do,' " Schwarzenegger told Brian Kilmeade in the interview, which was taped Wednesday.

Shriver is a Democrat who backed Obama for president.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold21-2008nov21,0,5450919.story

I admit to curiosity as to how much disclosure of assets and connections will occur should Governor Schwarznegger decide to work for Team Obama. I had not expected that the post-election decisions of who will work with the President-Elect would be something of a popularity contest and return of former Clinton staff.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Bush's land mines for Obama
Last-minute rules and regulations by the Bush administration could take years to undo.

Rosa Brooks
November 20, 2008

You knew that W & Co. wouldn't go gently into that good night, didn't you?

Please. We're talking about the people who brought us precooked intelligence, Guantanamo, torture and extraordinary rendition. Who developed bizarre legal doctrines, asserting that the commander in chief is allowed to ignore federal law, and the vice president doesn't "belong" to the executive branch. Who enthusiastically dismantled long-standing regulatory frameworks and who still insist (as George W. Bush did last week) that "too much" government regulation is our main problem, even as the economic crisis deepens.

You really didn't think these guys would exit meekly, did you?

Don't expect anything undignified, like a Cheney-engineered coup (sorry, conspiracy theorists). But the administration can -- and will -- hamstring the incoming Obama team just as effectively with a raft of poisonous eleventh-hour rules and regulations.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-brooks20-2008nov20,0,4071453.column

Suddenly, the return of Clinton staff is making so much sense. Not only would their return be a likely concession to get Senator Clinton on board, but their prior experience would save some time for the team in pointing out obstacles. I get it now.

Doesn't the removal of keyboard keys sound very high-school? A show of contempt of taxpayer money.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:45 pm

It's decided: Barack Obama picks Hillary Clinton for secretary of State
Aides to both of the former rivals confirm that she's his choice as top diplomat. She has not yet accepted the job, but is reportedly ready to give up her Senate seat.
By Peter Nicholas and Christi Parsons
November 22, 2008

Reporting from Washington -- President-elect Barack Obama has settled on former rival Hillary Rodham Clinton to be secretary of State, following a high-stakes courtship that is expected to lead to a formal announcement after the Thanksgiving holiday, aides to both said.

After an extensive examination of her husband's complicated financial dealings, the Obama transition team is satisfied that the nomination will not pose any conflicts of interest, an aide to the president-elect said.

On her end, Clinton is ready to give up her Senate seat and become the nation's top diplomat, friends and advisors said Friday. They added that she had not yet accepted the job.

The developments came amid leaks Friday that Obama was close to naming other members of his Cabinet, among them New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for Commerce secretary and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano for Homeland Security, both Democrats.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-clinton22-2008nov22,0,1360338.story?page=1
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:21 pm

While I think Bill Richardson will do fine as Commerce Secretary, I think he is better suited to be the
Secretary of State. I think Obama will regret choosing Clinton.

No comment on Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, as I have never heard of her before, so no clue if she
will do a good job or not as Homeland Security Chief.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:29 pm

4 in hot water over 'Joe the Plumber' searches
2 supervisors at Ohio state agency suspended, 2 others disciplined

Two more senior managers at the Ohio agency where computers were used to dig up information about "Joe the Plumber" have
been suspended without pay for their roles in the searches, an official at the agency said Friday.

Fred Williams, the Department of Job and Family Services' assistant director, will be placed on two weeks unpaid suspension
beginning Monday, spokeswoman Scarlett Bouder said in a statement. Doug Thompson, the department's deputy director of
child support, is facing a four-week unpaid suspension, also starting on Monday,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27848608/

A director and two deputy directors abusing the system to discredit a civilian for asking a question and speaking his mind in
regards to the answer he received from Obama. They should be fired. They abused their jobs, the public trust that their
info is confidential. The fact they went into his records and then shared the info with the press should be enough for them
to lose their jobs.

Who is to say they have not accessed other files in the past and what is to stop them from doing so in the future?
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Obama picks his communications team

Robert Gibbs, an Obama campaign spokesman who also has acted as spokesman for the transition,
will become Obama's press secretary, one of the most highly visible roles in the administration.

Gibbs, an Auburn, Alabama, native who has worked for Sen. Fritz Hollings, the Democratic Senatorial
Committee and Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign, was communications director and then a
senior strategist for the Obama campaign.

Ellen Moran, executive director of EMILY's List, will serve as Obama's communications director.

Moran worked for the AFL-CIO, coordinating "Wal-Mart corporate accountability activities," before
returning to EMILY's, an organization dedicated to helping Democratic women get elected to office.
It had endorsed Sen. Hillary Clinton for president.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/22/transition.wrap/index.html
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Palin's fans and foes keep her in the spotlight
Conservative group to air commercials; opponents call for answers.

A California-based conservative group that hammered Democratic Sen. Barack Obama during the presidential election is
launching a string of commercials this week praising Gov. Sarah Palin.

Designed to counter what the group calls attacks on Palin -- a potential presidential candidate in 2012 -- by "media elites,"
the ads begin airing in Alaska today.

But Palin's critics have been just as busy.

A group spearheaded by local left-leaning bloggers says the governor still has to answer for the findings of an abuse-of-power
investigation finished during the campaign, and are pressing lawmakers to take action next session.

http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/600766.html

She must be doing something right, if democrat supporters are still going after her. If they didnt see her as a threat in the
future they would not be going to this much trouble.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:19 am

Jolting Economy

A cartoon to start off your day or wind-down your day, depending on your time zone. Astute observation-Wall St. is going to help the economy.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Where did the campaign donations come from for the McCain and Obama efforts? Have a look at the list of donors for the recent presidential campaign: http://www.newsmeat.com/2008a-list.php

Some of those donors have not been in the public eye for some time. Also, note the consistency of some donations-I assume they were a ticket price ($2300 USD) for the August or September conventions.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Politics