UN chief says world is frustrated with Myanmar

Re: UN chief says world is frustrated with Myanmar

Postby signs on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has announced that Washington will start the process of exchanging ambassadors with Burma. The announcement came hours after the country's most prominent political dissidents were released from jail. US President Barack Obama described the move as a "substantial step forward".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16554415

Fast forward to 2012. Changes are significant but a long way to go before democracy and Burma cross paths. Lots of work ahead but it is a step in the right direction.
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby guitarblues on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Burma's people need to see hope restored. Politically, the government has some Asian allies that can keep it going despite world pressure to improve human rights, voting processes and basic living conditions.

Cyclone Nargis must have been Burma's version of Haiti's earthquake, yet we don't see how Burma has recovered or to what extent abandoned in the worst areas.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby deja vu on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 pm

>
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -democracy

It's all smiles after the elections. All the minders seem happy that for once the elections came across as fair to all. The most important person in this election won her seat easily. Aung San Suu Kyi is now a member of the same parliament that kept her under house arrest and muzzled for so long.

It's a step in the right direction, but the real question is will her voice in parliament be heard or dismissed.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smitty on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

There is a small country just east of Burma, but west of Thailand. Right now I cannot remember it for I had my eyes tested & needed my sunglasses to drive home. Would have tried the Atlas of the World, BUT with my eyes bunged up I have problems of seeing anything.

Burma wants the teak wood in that part. One can blame it all on England when they started to had back parts of land in India, Pakistan, Burma & such.

Many of the innicent have escaped to Thailand so they could survive.

Was thinking of Mss Harmg (even hard to read my writing) & it is amazing she has lived THIS LONG so reason she was to go to the hospital.

I think a few yrs ago some other chap made it to her home.

When on things of all the votes the many Generals have her party would be almost NIL. Though in time it might increase through the years if Ms Hung might cause a bit of a stir. Some of the said generals will have passed away by then!!!!!

Though in her case I hope this so called jail thing will be dropped & she will be treated sensible when it comes to liquids & food to recovery.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am

How to end 2015: land on The Economist's list as Country of the Year.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21684157-which-country-improved-most-2015-most-favoured-nation?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/mostfavourednation

The recent election outcome in Myanmar must have helped to come to that choice.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Previous

Return to Politics