Japanese Politics

Japanese Politics

Postby deja vu on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Gaffes put Japan's Aso under fire

Less than three months after taking office, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso is watching his poll
numbers plummet.

The latest figures, from four separate polls, put his approval rating between 21 and 25.5%, down at
least 15 points from November.

This is definitely not what the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) had in mind when they chose
him to replace Yasuo Fukuda in September.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7765681.stm

I see the Canadian Politicians "foot in mouth" disease is not just limited to Canada.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Japanese Politics

Postby yukon on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Japan PM rules out snap election

Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso has ruled out calling a general election in the near future.

Speaking at a news conference in Tokyo, Mr Aso said his government needed to focus on tackling the
country's economic difficulties.

Correspondents say Mr Aso's approval ratings have fallen amid disappointment over his efforts to revive
Japan's economic fortunes.

The opposition has called for a snap poll to prove he has a public mandate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7798612.stm
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Give Prime Minister Aso credit for not following Canada's prime minister in going to the electoral polls earlier than needed. One point for PM Aso! At least he knows it is all about the economy now, not about popularity contests.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009
Now healthy, Abe sticking to the sidelines

By MASAMI ITO
Staff writer
Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Friday he still feels responsible for failing to fulfill his duties as national leader but must suppress any ambitions for a comeback.

Scion of a political family and Japan's youngest postwar leader when he succeeded Junichiro Koizumi in September 2006, Abe now insists he must block out any thoughts of a return to the top post.

"I think I should refrain from any thought of my own ambitions — or rather, I should just push such ideas out of my head," Abe said in a speech at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo. "And also, I don't think (my return) is in demand at the moment." http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090131a5.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby reeceracer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Koizumi enters postal fray, fires shot at Aso

Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi stuck his head into a political brouhaha Thursday to rap Prime Minister Taro Aso for his imprudent remarks on postal privatization, threatening to stir up even more anti-Aso sentiment.

"As for the prime minister's recent remarks, they make me laugh. I am just stunned rather than being angry," the Lower House lawmaker told members of a Liberal Democratic Party panel on postal privatization.

Koizumi, one of the most popular prime ministers ever, also gave Aso a veiled warning.

Although some of the LDP's younger members have been told to refrain from "shooting (Aso) in the back," Koizumi said, Aso now seems to be "shooting from the front at those who (face an election)."

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090213a1.html

Koizumi misses politics? Thinking of making a comeback?
too fast to last on radar
reeceracer

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Translation of text accompanying cartoon: On Children's Day, celebrated May 5, fabric carp are hung in all of Japan. According to local tradition, these fish fly into the sky and transform into dragons, symbol of courage and of health for all children. Each parent then wishes for his/her offspring to realize their dreams. In light of the actual economic situation, the holiday is sad this year. The government recently confirmed that Japan is living in its worst recession since World War II.
http://cartoons.courrierinternational.com/dessins/dessin.asp?obj_id=94661

The finance minister announced his resignation before opposition politicians could force his exit over his recent overseas appearance at the G7 summit:

Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009
Finance Minister Nakagawa to resign over G7 blunder
Kyodo News
Finance Minister Shoichi Nakagawa said Tuesday he has decided to step down to take the blame for his unusual behavior at a weekend Group of Seven press conference in Rome, delivering another blow to struggling Prime Minister Taro Aso.

Nakagawa, one of the closest allies of the premier, said he would resign after the fiscal 2009 budget and related bills clear the Diet, which is expected in March or April.

"I was told by Prime Minister Aso to do my best until the passage (of the bills)," he told a hastily called news conference in Tokyo after he visited a doctor for a medical check.

"My doctor told me I am suffering from a cold and fatigue," he said, adding he had "apologized for having caused a great deal of trouble to the prime minister and other people concerned" by not taking good enough care of his health. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090217x1.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby dreamon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Cabinet's popularity at new low
Kyodo News

Public discontent with Prime Minister Taro Aso's Cabinet has tumbled 4.7 points to a new low of 13.4 percent since Shoichi Nakagawa resigned as finance minister, a new survey showed Wednesday.

The phone survey on 1,022 eligible voters, conducted within hours of Nakagawa's resignation Tuesday, also said the public disapproval rate surged 5.7 points to 76.6 percent. The previous poll was conducted from Feb. 7 to 8.

Nakagawa quit after appearing to be drunk at a Saturday press conference following the Group of Seven financial leaders' meeting in Rome.

Before the survey, public confidence in Aso's administration was already critically low because of perceived sloppiness in handling economic stimulus steps, including a contentious cash handout plan, and criticism that he lacks leadership — an image worsened by his plentiful verbal gaffes.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090219a2.html

The universe is big It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely
impossible things just happen and we call them miracles
dreamon

Postby gossamer on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Aso accepts blame for Nakagawa
Ex-minister was warned about alcohol in past

Prime Minister Taro Aso apologized Thursday over the abrupt exit in disgrace of Shoichi Nakagawa as finance minister and accepted responsibility for appointing him.

"There were no cases in the past where a finance minister was replaced during Diet deliberations" of a budget bill, Aso said during a Lower House Budget Committee session.

"I really apologize for this," he said, stressing that swift enactment of the fiscal 2009 budget should be the Diet's priority.

Nakagawa stepped down as finance minister and head of the Financial Services Agency after slurring his speech and looking like he was having trouble staying awake during a news conference after a Group of Seven meeting in Rome on Saturday.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090220a1.html
Welcome to my web!
gossamer

Postby verreettas on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:12 pm

They should have stopped him before the G7 summit. They had an early warning this could happen:

Nakagawa's brain 'turned off' in meeting with Russian

ROME (Kyodo) Shoichi Nakagawa, who resigned as finance minister this week over his apparent drunken behavior at a Group of Seven news conference in Rome on Feb. 14, was in a similarly foggy state during a bilateral meeting with Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexei Kudrin earlier in the day, sources in Rome said Friday.

According to the sources, a Russian diplomat who attended the meeting said Nakagawa behaved "as if the power switch of his brain had been turned off" during the 15-minute meeting.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090221a2.html
I don’t know the same things you don’t know
And I forget the same things you forget
verreettas

Postby deja vu on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Lower House passes ¥88 trillion budget
¥2 trillion cash handout bill set for OK next week

The Liberal Democratic Party-New Komeito ruling bloc passed the ¥88 trillion fiscal 2009 budget bill and related legislation Friday through the Lower House, paving the way for implementing the biggest initial budget ever by the March 31 end of the fiscal year.

Although the budget bill will almost certainly be voted down by the Upper House, which the opposition parties control, Article 60 of the Constitution gives the House of Representatives the authority to override the upper chamber if no consensus can be reached within 30 days.

Prime Minister Taro Aso has said repeatedly that the government aims to boost the economy with a "three-stage rocket," referring to the fiscal 2009 budget on top of the two extra budgets for fiscal 2008.

Aso told reporters after the bills' passage that his focus is now on ensuring that the budget and related bills are enacted to effect the emergency economic measures.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090228a1.html

~~~~~~~~~

Aso short of excuses for delaying election

Friday's passage of the fiscal 2009 budget and related bills through the Lower House was bittersweet for Prime Minister Taro Aso, who still faces the dilemma of when to call a general election.

Amid the global financial crisis, Aso repeatedly stressed he was prioritizing approval of the budget and implementation of various economic measures, and everything else — including a general election that must be held by fall — would have to wait.

But now, with the budget set to clear the Diet by the end of March, Aso must turn his attention to improving his sinking support rate and the timing of the Lower House poll.

"The passage of the budget is an absolute necessity for the Aso Cabinet," said Yasunori Sone, a professor of political science at Keio University. "And when that is done, Aso thinks he can dissolve the Lower House."

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090228a2.html
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics