Retail stores keep changing their customer experiences

Retail stores keep changing their customer experiences

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Most of us still visit stores to do our shopping. I read an article about how some stores had introduced self-serve checkouts to allow customers to process their own orders with a cashier supervisor to help when needed. But some stores are taking the self-serve option away if the retail locations don't need them. I have used the self-serve option a few times in grocery stores until someone mentioned how they take away jobs. The reasons for using them involved only a few items and no need to wait in a long line for the lone cashier on duty during lunch rush.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1059717--why-supermarkets-are-shelving-self-serve-checkouts
Other retailers, like Longo’s, never got into the self-serve checkout business at all, and don’t plan to.

“We pride ourselves on providing great customer service and part of that is based on one-on-one attention at the checkouts,” said Anthony Longo, - President and CEO.

Phil Lempert, a Santa Monica, Calif.-based food industry analyst, noted supermarkets have a few other motivations to get rid of the self-serve lanes beyond customer service.

They will eventually need to replace their checkout computers to read newly emerging types of bar codes, so there’s little business sense in keeping and replacing those self-serve machines if they’re not well-used anyway, he said.

~~~~~
IKEA in Syndey, Australia developed a men's game-room type lounge area where spouses can leave their husbands for 30minutes while their wives go shopping. I have yet to hear of a similar lounge for women stuck in hardware stores--they might like something better than the hot dogs and foosball offered in Syndey.
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1058264--ikea-sets-up-playpen-for-men
~~~~~

If retail staff are rude to colleagues or to customers, customers are quick to react to it. However, the flip side of the matter is when customers are rude to retail staff, who are limited in responding as humans are inclined to do in the name of job security.
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1059701--customers-flee-uncivil-behaviour
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Retail stores keep changing their customer experiences

Postby burnt fare on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Would the guys using that IKEA lounge be keeping it tidy or treat it like an extension of home where things get dropped where they are? Might be good to visit with pals just to check it out.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby Tsukihime on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Changing a logo loved by customers, changing a soda flavor, changing the way things are done-they get fast reactions now, due to computers and Internet use.

It's harder to give something new a long trial period because words get shared. Maybe that is why we see "beta" so often on websites about to change a feature or look. What is the English version of Beta-B-type?
That's princess to you.
Tsukihime
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby alohasand on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Sydney, not Syndey in Oz! Could use some sand and sunshine but no resort crowds. Instead of a fireplace showing a burning log, I want a cable station to run a video of a livestream of beach and sunshine in an out of the way spot. An iguana could poke a face at the camera.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

A list of 79 stores owned by Sears Holdings will lead to closures of some Sears and some Kmart stores in the United States of America.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20111230/BUSINESS/112300335/Sears-Kmart-closing-79-stores

There had been speculation among Canadian shoppers whether any Canadians stores might also be closed. However, no Canadian stores are on any closure list.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Sears Canada is cutting 400 jobs from its headquarters and some stores. Based on retail experiences, customers have found the stores, pricing and return policies difficult to appreciate. The article errs in saying Target is coming to Canada next year--it is in 2012 that Target will have some stores opening.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1120771#article
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Three downtown stores in Vancouver, Ottawa and Calgary are being closed by Sears Canada. Shoppers here have been discussing the likelihood of Canadian stores closing due to the US company recently deciding to close hundreds of stores.

http://www.therecord.com/news/business/article/680314--sears-canada-to-close-three-stores-in-major-cities-sell-back-leases
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I read this week about the Sears Canada head executive overseeing a change in the retail store experience. http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1162882--sears-revamps-returns-policy-amid-retail-war-with-target-walmart-marshalls-dollarama
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/709608--on-the-ropes-sears-will-need-a-knockout-punch-in-the-coming-fight

Certain mall stores were getting walls knocked out and store brands reduced from 90 names to 20 names. He was not kidding about walls knocked out in women's wear--the partitions and partial walls for Jessica/Nevada "areas" are gone. Basically, the box look is back and less clutter is evident on the racks and aisles. Thinning out of some hosiery has happened as well and there is no Land's End section anymore.

Instead of white paint, a shade that would make one think "gallery" would have helped in case mannequins were used to show off a new look. Right now, the store interior looks quite basic. Maybe some new fixtures or wall features will come along later. Remember Target is coming to Canada next year and the chain represents competition along with existing department and big box stores.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby alohasand on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:55 pm

The makeovers will create some interest, but if customers don't like their shopping experience, the return policies or online experience, they have plenty of online social sites to complain on if there is no satisfaction.

While the Sears article mentions some changes, had the CEO guy not been on the floor for the associate to tell the return tale, s/he (associate) would have been stuck to follow policy on the return and the restocking fee.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby smitty on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 am

Some of you might tecal that I do not like line-ups for something stupid like skiing equipment, sneakers & such.

True there are short line-ups at the grocery store. The grocery stores have the best of cashiers & the line-up is so short. If I only have a few things I will ask the woman behind me to take my plac or the same coud happen to me from decent people.

Humans are very sensible. For instance at the bank if I want to deposit a chaque, they FORTUNATELY know a lot of us older ones are a bit slow. So we are to see the woman/man at the desk say to hand them the cheque & they will do the rest. NO more are we making small errors in the deposit.

I make it knowen at the grocery store or the bank THAT I APPRECIATE their assistance.. For they are POLITE TO US, so why can I not say so!!!!!!!
smitty

Next

Return to Business