Target Stores

Target Stores

Postby deja vu on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 pm

BUT and it's a big but, it's not the same as shopping at a U.S.A. Target store. Prices are higher and the excuses for that are numerous and most don't seem to be buying it or buying much in their half empty stores today.

Would I drive hours or stand in line to check it out on the first day it opens in my city, not a hope in heck that would I bother to go to that trouble. If their pricing remains as they say below, then I have no reason to go out of my way to go to their store. Unless they have money to burn, the majority of Canadian shoppers want a bargain and will compare prices. They wont pay more just to say they bought it at Target.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/target ... 12462.html

At the Guelph store, a 2.95-litre bottle of Tide laundry detergent was priced at $15.99 Tuesday, compared with US$11.99 on Target's American website. The same product was listed for $15.99 on the Canadian Tire website.

A bottle of Aveeno moisturizer cost $7.49 at the Guelph store, while the lotion was marked down to US$5.99 on the U.S. website, down from the regular price of $6.29. On the Shoppers Drug Mart website, it was priced at $8.99.

But he said Target has no reason to match its U.S. prices if consumers are willing to pay more.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Target Stores

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Canadian shoppers are opining online about the store openings and the ones that have visited the US stores know that they remain the better options. However, the March openings are soft and news reports have repeated the chain's message that they are exercises in getting the experience right for April grand openings. Shoppers are hoping there will be offers in April to make the stores look better and offset the pricing/merchandise question marks.

No, I don't think I'd wait overnight in frigid temperatures for a store opening. But I would have wanted to have been a mid-morning visitor! Time to wait for store openings in the Hamilton and Burlington areas for my peek at retail done the Target-way.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:06 am

This week, more stores opened in Ontario. Grand openings will roll out in April and shoppers familiar with the US stores are hoping to see some of that US dealing and discounting in full force during the official openings. So far, the soft openings have not been universally received well when compared to US stores.

However, location parking lots have been busy on opening day! Possibly to the dismay of adjacent businesses whose customers might have been jockeying for parking spots too.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby yukon on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Third-quarter earnings at discount retailer Target dropped by almost half as the company blamed underwhelming results after their much ballyhooed Canadian launch. The discount chic chain said third quarter net income dropped 47 per cent, with the company citing costs related to its expansion into Canada earlier this year. The company earned $341 million US or 54 cents per share. That's down from $637 million, or 96 cents per share, a year earlier. Revenue was up two per cent to $17.26 billion from $16.93 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target- ... -1.2435113

No one should be surprised by this news. High prices, not enough products on the shelf and they expected Canadians to buy into that???

Anyone that has shopped at a US Target store can see the big differences between them and are sending a clear message to them. We are not suckers, so don't treat us like we are.
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 pm

The store chain still has what I consider the best assortment of printed/woven patterned towels in retail here in Canada. If one likes some colour with a design that is not just "hotel beige", the store has stock plus coordinating bath mats and shower curtains.

Sears and The Bay still stock "beige" and "hotel neutrals" in their bath departments-very boring.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 pm

The coupons that come after the receipts are printed are popular with regular Target Canada shoppers. Some coupons have several weeks until expiry while other coupons' offers are limited to one week.

Peter Pilotto capsule collection of women's wear has made it into stores by early February; floral prints with black and white designs dominate the collection. A Canadian designer, Sarah Stevenson, will have a capsule spring collection. Two of her pieces were shown in Elle Canada's March 2014 issue.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Sarah Stevenson's collection is due in Target stores on March 23. Her floral print fabrics combined with solid colour fabrics will put spring into female shoppers' wardrobes!
I believe the store date is timed to follow the end of Toronto's Fashion Week, which is about to start. Fall 2014 fashions will be the focus.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Ciel -
Sarah Stevenson's collection is due in Target stores on March 23.

Due in stores, but no guarantee it will show up on time. EIther the entire collection will show up, some of it or none at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target- ... -1.2711149

From the start Target has had major issues and done little to improve the situation. Large stores, almost totally empty of shoppers on a daily basis. Higher than normal prices than other stores in the areas, Half full or totally empty shelves, staff that need to learn where things are in their stores and improve customer service.

People expected customer service and prices comparible to the US version and instead we received the opposite. They were not prepared and rushed to open stores, throwing everything to the curb to meet their opening day.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am

I am going to give Target Canada some stars for:
-having shopping baskets located throughout the store plus the cart corral at the front. Starbucks is near the doors and the coupon brochures are next to the main entrance.
-having several price scanners in the store (Walmart makes you walk far for the perhaps three scanners in store and no, the grocery part of SuperCentre does not merit a scanner-my local store experience)
-there is no music playing the store
-staff are willing to help-sometimes they offer or if I ask for help, the staff on duty does provide it. Unlike some other retail stores...
-the light is bright, does not cast shadows as some other warehouse style big box stores do (Target is a retail enterprise), nor does it flicker (ahem, wind-turbine lighting from Zellers did flicker-it was like watching a CRT tv on static)
-local store (not in the Toronto area but west of there) did get capsule collections of Peter Pilotto and Sarah Stevenson on their launch dates. I was thrilled because usually the major urban city stores in other chains get the special collections but not the suburban stores.

Now, I am aware that Target Canada has experienced some logistical issues. I will credit them for providing nice sightlines through the store, great signage, wide aisles and interesting merchandise mix. I recommend their unscented Up & Up dryer sheets (my family disagrees but there are really no other options with less scent in the grocery market) but not the Up & Up envelope brand (little glue and seams fall apart as though glue has failed-spend the money on brand name envelopes with better adhesives).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby trailblaze on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

The title should be: BYE BYE Target, you got it all wrong and now you pay the price.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/missing-th ... -1.2190150

Canadians had plenty of snarky comments for Target as the U.S.-based retailer announced the end of its operations in Canada on Thursday.

Amid all the “missed the mark” puns and “Tar-jay” mockery, Canadians seemed generally disappointed with the popular U.S. retailer’s two-year venture in Canada. Many said they would not miss the chain’s issues with maintaining stock. Many more were concerned for the jobs that will be lost by the move. Others just had a good laugh.

And why not. They made over the top committments, opened too many stores with empty shelves so they could open on time. They underestimated the Canadian consumer and tried to rip us off with over the top prices thinking we would not notice. They should have started small and made sure the shelves were stocked instead of opening half empty stores that after 2-3 years are still half empty and the prices still too high.

One visit was enough for me, you can tell immediately it is not like the US stores from the moment you go through the doors and as soon as you see the prices, reality hits. Target passed on all tariffs to the consumer and even then added more to the price. What they should have done is fired all of the executives involved in this white elephant. Instead they will probably all get bonuses as the put their tail between their legs and scurry back over the border.

This is what you get for not doing your homework and above all making sure all the stock is in place before opening any doors and don't try to gouge people. Just does not work, a bad business plan from the start and heads should roll over it. Unfortunately it's the 17,600 employees that will pay the price. They will get 16 weeks in a check and then they can collect EI while they join thousands of others looking for work in a shrinking market. Just DON"T GO NEAR ALBERTA!!! No jobs to be had there right now, laid off thousands and are whining about a higher provincial sales tax.
trailblaze

Next

Return to Business