Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Google's email gets social in Facebook face-off
Updated: Wed Feb. 10 2010 8:33:01 AM
The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Google Inc. opened a new social hub in its e-mail service on Tuesday, leaving little doubt that the Internet search leader is girding for a face-off with Facebook.

The new Gmail channel, called Google Buzz, includes many of the features that have turned Facebook into the Web's top spot for fraternizing with friends and family.

It comes less than a week after Facebook made changes of its own. Among other things, Facebook now shows a list of friends available for chatting on the left side of the page, similar to where Gmail now displays its chat feature. http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100210/google_buzz_100210?hub=Toronto

Who can keep up with the various social media sites anymore? Will the new channel cause a shift in how YOU spend your social time online?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 am

I am afraid that I have slipped back into an old role at Google Inc. of bothering their desk jockeys and over the past 12 hours or so have been reading and posting on their site about what appears to be a rather disturbing trend at Google Inc. to kind of ram services down the throats of their customers.

Now there are those that say because the services are free we cannot refer to the persons who use that free service as customers, and that is hogwash, in my view. The people who use the Google services add to the totals that Google uses to draw up fees they charge advertisers, yes? Who will advertise on a site that has 99 members?

So I say that Gmail users are customers.

Now, it seems there are some problems with a feature that allows those using one or more of the Google tools to be what is called "followed" because of this new tool/service called Buzz, and it is trying to pin down exactly what all this following business means and how it is working that has taken far too much time -- much homework.

In the process of doing my homework I found that Google Inc. received the U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor certification on October 15, 2005. That is very interesting and allows us to gather information on people we can contact at Google Inc. when and if we can figure out whether Google Inc. might just be violating the terms of the Safe Harbor certification and possibly their own Privacy Policy last updated on March 11, 2009.

Much too early to tell how this will turn out, but I suspect something isn't quite right about some of what Buzz is allowed to do. Whether that is/was intentional on the part of Google Inc. or is /was a mistake, don't know yet.

And with this post here you over there at Google who have been reading the results of my homework and reading about some of my concerns now know where to find me apart from Google's corner of the Net. Of course, their corner is far bigger than our little corner here, but one doesn't need much room for exchanging views.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 am

Let me add to what I wrote above by offering the views of a Google customer. I will let you know straight up that I do not know this customer, have not communicated with the person, and have no connection with the person. Chosen at random, so to speak, except that his/her views seem to be stated in a reasonable manner that most can understand. Also the customer is discussing a recent change in some features of the product -- Buzz.

And my aim is to offer some view other than my own, as well as a link to where these discussions are taking place.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/g ... 339a&hl=en

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=1991cf74ca877c36&hl=en The Youtube video on the link indicates that there is private chat. But this mandatory following seems overdoing things. There can be oversharing, legal concerns (as the link in the post above indicated about identities), and just plain not wanting every person connected on the Internet to know what's going on.

This could signal the return to regular conversation in real-life, rather than online through programs. Worth spending one's free time to decide what is worth talking about and improving relations.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:18 pm

It seems that Google Inc. has informed some news media outlets that the mistake they made when they introduced their Buzz service resulted from the company testing the service within the company only and not asking a select group of Google customers to test the service.

I just heard this on the news a few minutes ago. First time I heard anything about Google Inc. owning up to the news media people that Google had made any mistakes. If any of you had been following the Google Help Forums posts you probably would have concluded, as I did, that errors were made, but I suppose it'a a bit different when your conclusions are confirmed by a press release by the company at which your complaints were targeted.

The question now is whether Buzz can actually be fixed? Maybe the bigger question is what exactly is broken that needs fixing? We may yet see a difference in views between the customers who have demanded privacy rights and Google Inc. that has violated those rights to privacy.

And the bigger lesson? Complaining can work -- sometimes.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alohasand on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Customer service complaints that don't get satisfaction through the usual channels surface through columnists or Youtube channels. Some companies are waking up to that 21st century aspect of customer service-admitting wrongdoing can curb some of the negative press that otherwise can be anticipated to be linked to the company for some days.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby burnt fare on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Social media is becoming akin to those plastic loyalty card programs-everywhere and at some point, the appeal of carrying them around wanes. While you can cut up plastic cards, social media is harder to cut away from.

Since there is a social media service using the name buzz, expect to hear more of the expression "buzz off."
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:05 pm

One of the nice folks over at the Google Help Forum kindly posted a link that seems to confirm what I heard on the news.

** Google admits Buzz testing flaws **
Search giant Google admits to BBC News that testing of its controversial new social network Buzz was insufficient.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/t ... 517613.stm >

What I'm pushing for now is an announcement sent out by Google Inc. to each Gmail account explaining what went wrong, why it went wrong, what fixes have been put in place, and why those fixes were chosen. I have asked for an apology, but that should be a given.

Funny though, I wonder if maybe this was all sort of planned like this? I mean, they still get that auto start of their answer to Facebook and the other competition with the auto inclusion of your contacts in your email account into your Buzz account, then they get free advertising through the news outlets when they announce the mistakes made, then they get back some of the respect from Gmail users when they send out the announcements to each Gmail account, which is more advertising, just in case you didn't notice the Buzz product was available. And the apology and "war room" talk in the news makes Google Inc. look like they are really responsive to the needs of their customers. You don't think they would have planned something like that, do you? Of course, not. That's lunatic thinking, right?

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby guitarblues on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Human nature is that planned events can sometimes appear to be false steps then companies do some public news releases about changes, corrections, unexpected this and that. Trust requires time, consistency, and no big egos.

Can't throw people off too long on bad customer service though and if some options are tacked on with the assumption that users KNOW to have to opt out of, then customer service was not the intent, was it?

Go back to the United Breaks Guitars thread. The band's video made the case for decent customer service.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby pretzels on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Is this new service going to trigger California sales tax too? What about in other states?

Problem I have with the notion of any online contacts being used for ad pitches or marketing without my say-so is identity theft that makes cleanup of someone's bad moves a time and money coster for me. Full disclosure has to be provided to anyone who wants to get into this new service--big, bold icon disclosure.

You have likely read of fake Twitter posts and the hacks into famous people's accounts. It could happen with any social media.
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Next

Return to Computers & IT