Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Re: Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Google pays 'lip service' to privacy, watchdog says
By Matt Hartley, Canwest News Service
April 21, 2010 11:41 AM

Google Inc. is facing international condemnation from privacy watchdogs around the globe over the way it mishandled the private information of millions of its users with the roll-out of its Google Buzz service in February.

On Tuesday, Canadian Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart, alongside the heads of privacy and data protection agencies from nine other countries, issued a joint letter to Google chief executive Eric Schmidt calling on the web giant and other online companies to do more to respect the privacy rights of their users.

"While we hear corporations such as Google pay lip service to privacy, we don't always see this reflected in the launch of new products," Stoddart said in a statement.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Google+pays+service+privacy+watchdog+says/2933757/story.html

Actually, any new social media rollout product ought to inspire Human Resource department staff and Legal staff to bring privacy matters to the forefront for company staff meetings.

Now in companies that are smaller than 50 employees, most policies will reflect owner preferences and not necessarily be written policies. You might want to check the applicable workplace or occupational safety or union rules in your jurisdiction or better yet, compare new privacy codes attached to social media to your laws and point out problems/solutions to the higher ups at work.
~~~~~~

Now, look at the fact that Google services are blocked in about 1/4 of the countries that Google surfaces in. Hmmm.

Google services blocked in 25 countries
Search firm highlights growing censorship of search, Docs and YouTube

Dan Worth
V3.co.uk, 20 Apr 2010
Google has revealed a worrying global trend of internet censorship by admitting that many of its products, such as search, Docs, Blogger and YouTube, are blocked in 25 of the 100 countries where it operates.

Rachel Whetstone, Google's vice president for global communications and public affairs, said in a blog post that the firm is routinely asked by national governments to remove certain information.

"We regularly receive government requests to restrict or remove content. When we receive those requests, we examine them closely to ensure they comply with the law, and if we think they're overly broad we attempt to narrow them down," she said.http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2261672/google-services-blocked

So, responsive to government requests but privacy still floats on the whim of whoever? What is the legal team doing during launch periods?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Unfortunately it seems that everyone is twittering away, to bus drivers that run into the rear of other traffic because this is not the first time. I am to understand when that is done the lst time the driver is given severe warnings, but if the 2nd or 3rd time they might loose their job. THAT is far to light in my way of thinking.

The cellular phones is bad enough for at an executive meeting of our gun club, even though wives to others have been informed they are not to phone during those hours, but the phones are going off time & time again. One really has to wonder what they are like when driving their car/truck either to some place of heading home.

I had an old outdated Motor Rolla, of something, cellular phone & only to phone my Mother, in her latter years, when standing outside of my truck & let her know I was headed home, & usual of asking if she wanted me to pick up something at a grocery store or such. If there was a phone call to our home she noted down the number & only once home would I use the normal telephone if it was the proper time of the day or evening. Never when driving my Truck or SUV.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Messages get out much faster
Social media: The tool proves valuable during the storm

By Kate Dubinski The London Free Press
Last Updated: December 8, 2010 7:20pm
If you still don’t have Twitter, let me let you in on a secret: You probably found out everything official there was to find out about this week’s snowmageddon without the social media tool.

But here’s the thing: If you needed to take the bus, find out what streets were passable, what services were open or whether your exam was cancelled, that information was getting to you much later than to people using Twitter.

“It’s one way we communicate with people. We carry on with our press releases and hotlines, so social media doesn’t replace what we’re doing, but it’s one more way of reaching people, and it’s faster,” says Elaine Gamble, London’s communications director and the person in charge of getting messages out from city and emergency officials during a crisis such as the snow storm. http://www.lfpress.com/news/columnists/kate_dubinski/2010/12/08/16479091.html

The immediacy of information updates during a snow event-a practical use for Twitter. However, one would have to have joined a few IDs to get those streams of information ahead of time.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Facebook trumps Google in website visits
Published On Thu Dec 30 2010
Debra Black
Staff Reporter
First the movie The Social Network drew accolades. Then Mark Zuckerberg, chief executive of Facebook, was named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year.

And now Facebook has trumped Google as the top-visited website in the U.S. for 2010, according to Hitwise, the online intelligence company.

It’s the first time Facebook has taken the top spot. The social networking site accounted for 8.93 per cent of all U.S. visits between January and November 2010, technology websites report. http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/913771--facebook-trumps-google-in-website-visits
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby burnt fare on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm

I've seen goo.gl and don't know if is a variation of Tiny url--it is but it's Google's variation. Read here:
Google and Facebook launch URL shorteners
Fb. me and goo.gl could challenge bit.ly as the most popular online web address shortener

By Claudine Beaumont, Technology Editor 11:28AM GMT 15 Dec 2009

Google and Facebook have launched their own URL shorteners, tools that transform a long internet address in to a much shorter string of random characters. Google's new URL shortener, goo.gl, will be available through Google's Toolbar and its Feedburner RSS feed, but is not yet available as a stand-alone service for "broader consumer use". Facebook's shortener, fb. me, is predominantly designed for use on mobile device, and it's unclear whether fb. me will be rolled out across the whole platform. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6816481/Google-and-Facebook-launch-URL-shorteners.html

Ouch, that little address came out over a year ago. I have just proven myself as a non-Googler.
Burger time
burnt fare

Postby smitty on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Obviously as drivers/riders WE are going to be forced to keep an eye on those that walk across a busy street, but do NOT look either way. We as riders/drivers are under enough possibly wrong doings but now we will have fools off in the other world continually.

I would not be surprised to see a Govt put a HALT to the use of machines to twitter or whatever FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY.
smitty

Postby fishandchips on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm

As employers increasingly use sites such as Facebook and Twitter to market products, communicate with customers and collect information, they leave themselves open to regulatory, legal and reputational risks.

And where there’s risk, there’s the insurance sector.

With the use of social media in the corporate world comes the potential for lawsuits regarding privacy issues, intellectual property infringement, and defamation.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/978955--social-media-insurance-inevitable

Where social media meets a perceived demand for a service product, there will be a supply for it. Hence, insurance is looking to making a product.

But using social media first of all makes users or want-to-be users read the Terms of Service. If you do read them, then you see which laws apply in to the company providing the social media platform or service. Usually, it's not going to be where you live unless you live in the area known for computer companies and software.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Facebook keeps on hammering names of facebook people that are my friends. Sorry but they are just members of our Gun Club, & not on the executive or are the workers that donate their time to keep this gun range running. So not friends of mine. I do not waste me time to even possiply open my self or addy to facebook. Worst then twitter I think, but then both are in another world, as far as I am concerned.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

The latest thing in celebrity image management is through the use of WhoSay--a program that is offered to celebrities and their public relations staff by invitation. Any images hosted by WhoSay remain celebrity property and have copyright notices and warnings about fines if images are appropriated without permission or payments. So if a celebrity or handler posts an image on the Twitter account, the image remains celebrity domain content. Fans and bloggers will not be able to copy and paste.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/business/media/09whosay.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Fri May 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Being s bachelor I really do not have many friends I just HAVE TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH, let alone any relatives. Besides friends that shoot at our gun club I am at every executive, though not ONE of the executive members itself. Sometime my remarks are taken into consideration on what we will do next, the cost & such. LIKE one of the executive had this idea of a much larger sign of our club to anyone that is driving north. When he came out with the dream of 10' tall to 20' wide THAT is when I said "This is not Vagus" you know while 4X8 would be all that is needed. Said idea went down the drain.

So in my way of thinking both facebook & twitter are the same. I prefer to use the forum on different boards such as this one, ones regarding m/c firearms to even tips on reloading or working on a personal gun.

Besides no one really gets a photo of my face bar the one on the DL to the one on the Possession & Acquisition License we MUST HAVE valid if purchasing ammunition, powder, primers, bullet tips to f/arms themselves. Also, up to this date, one needs to renew both in every 5 years.

I find it easy to pick up the news like a newspaper from some of the forums to the newspapers themselves, BUT strange thing when you go to answer their question it must be in facebook SO I do not waste my time.
smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & IT