Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Re: Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Postby smitty on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm

i am totally lost about facebook or twitter. I do not use either ans a mentioned earlier even facebook is giving me "Friends" I can use but then really I do not know of them.

Possibly thet used my name as I was Penticton Shooting Sports H/gun Director/instructor, but that was around a year ago.

I recognize the name of one while they others might be members or spotted my name of the Club's pamphlet.

NOW, of all things one of the better m/c boards is folding up for a new one. So I applied & filled out all the questions, but they do not recognize & I would say 50% of the others are in the same mess. I think facebook has something to do with this one.

One is a chap from ENGLAND that knows how to rebubuild m/cs, a top-notch trouble shooter. He to has failed & did say "Do not forget us older riders"----for YES he is full of information when someone has a problem on their m/c & I sort of pitch in and say "Do note that Richard is full of the best information"/

Could be that I used the handle of Smitty for when I was a Dispatch Rider for the Signal Corps they all told me if I took up HAM then only use a simple handle & so reason I have used Smitty most often through on rare occasions it is Smythe.

I go back to schooling & learned when filling out this or that for the teasher one started out with a Capital letter, which I do as anyone can see at the start of my Posts. Though I know in the computer world they only want to see everything is small letters.

So I sort of world I do not recognize or being normal & trying to change me around. TRUE is someone comes on a gun or m/c board with all Capital letters I say, other will appreciate if you use small print & m telling them to knock off the Caps Lock to the left of theri keyboard. They dio & things going along well.

So one of my prefered m/c boards has been taken over by facebook or something else. I applied last morning to last evening & they do not accept or recognize me.
smitty

Postby guitarblues on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 pm

You can lurk or basically view the forums without being a member. You probably are left with using the email contact form or address to reach a live person connected with that m/c forum. Was the change in the works for some time or was it sudden?
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 am

The thing about privacy policies is how easy will it be to get any disagreements resolved between users who want their chances to present their sides of a dispute and the website operators (notice not owners because urls are owned by domain providers who give urls to those who can pay to use them)? Preferably informally, rather than bogged down legally?

Like the changes to channels available to basic cable subscribers (fewer channels since the siren-song of HD channels led the charge to extra-cost premium channels), these privacy policy changes will be leading to a quieting down on the Internet. You'll see it with videos posted online (personal or recorded program content).
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Estonia's buzzing about the Defense Minister's Facebook page that deleted posts about anti-piracy agreement and censorship. He then became the subject of further Internet interest:

The politician added fuel to the online fire, telling a government news conference: “I don’t think that I have deleted everything from there. Last time I saw it there was a functional dispute going on. If there’s something missing then it’s probably because we were running out of space,” the Daily Dot reports.

Users of social media went to work with his comment, creating cheeky ads of Laar saying: “I didn’t delete posts about ACTA from my Facebook page. The internet has run out of space!”

And another slogan, which roughly translates to “I didn’t delete. The Internet ran out of space.”
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby smitty on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Twitter is something I knew nothing about other then some time ago I was making a left turn onto a more popular. Noted possible this Senior High School kid on some project with his eyes down to what I thought was a compass.

Turned out to be my first bit about twitter, & the kid walked into my car stopped with turn signal on, took a glance at the car & no more about the road as previously to his left & right. To almost stumble over the sidewalk curb.

So to me twitter was the pits.

It seems that FB sends me an e-mail to join up & even has a number of so called friends of mine I can use in applying.

Also know a few that pulled out of FC & peeved they were charged so much. Like I do not have any friends, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, or cousins for all have passed away many years ago, so really no drive to be using FB.
smitty

Postby deja vu on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 pm

>
http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... r-ipo?bn=1

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg stands to make billions when the social networking site goes public later this year. But he could also be hit with a record-setting tax bill. Zuckerberg plans to exercise stock options worth about $5 billion in the company’s upcoming IPO, boosting his stake in the company.

But the 27-year-old’s windfall would likely leave him with a tax bill of more than $2 billion, probably making him the largest taxpayer in history, CNN reports. The type of options Zuckerberg holds are taxable as salary when exercised, even if they aren’t sold.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has made billions, but his latest venture could cost him a couple of billions in taxes. He may want to rethink his game plan.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CielOnTap on Thu May 24, 2012 5:33 pm

There's a malware virus affecting some Facebook users--the virus is making money (can you say "ad revenue?") for the hackers. So be aware of the bad program!

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1183603--facebook-fights-back-as-click-fraud-worm-spreads
The program spreads in this manner--
In what security experts are calling the company’s first malware epidemic, a plug-in called LilyJade is spreading through social networks like a worm and replacing website advertisements with ads of its own as a way to make money.

The sophisticated click-fraud plug-in, which uses an emerging programming framework called Crossrider and targets multiple browsers including Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, begins its infiltration by posting a video on a user’s Facebook wall, according to former Washington Post staffer Brian Krebs who now blogs about Internet security.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 am

#chucksinclair was the tag made to describe Canada's Olympic women's team captain, Christine Sinclair. Sinclair's efforts in the Canadian match against the U.S. team plus her comments about the referee's call got the sports journalists at QMI thinking:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/08/christine-sinclair-is-the-new-chuck-norris-chucksinclair

Twitter trend of the past day!
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/feb/02/twitter-hack-password-reset
Q: How was it done?
Twitter isn't saying; its blogpost about the attack says only that it saw "unusual access". That means that the hackers were probing its database via the Twitter access method, and found a way to crack its usual safeguards.

It may be connected to the outage that Twitter suffered on Thursday, though the company hasn't said.

Twitter is saying that "This attack was not the work of amateurs, and we do not believe it was an isolated incident. The attackers were extremely sophisticated, and we believe other companies and organizations have also been recently similarly attacked."

That implies that this could be part of a pattern in which a number of media organisations - including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and - according to some reports - the Washington Post have been attacked by Chinese hackers. With people such as the Dalai Lama on Twitter, it's possible that this was an attempt to find out what important messages were being passed between such members.

Twitter was compromised by persons unknown recently. About a quarter million accounts were affected by the incident.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/02/16/ ... rd-profits

“The employees cash in stock options, and at that point there is tax deduction for the company,” Robert McIntyre, of watchdog group Citizens for Tax Justice, said in an interview with Fox News Channel. “Because even though it doesn’t cost Facebook a nickel, the government treats it as wages and they get a deduction for it. And usually it doesn’t wipe out companies whole tax bill, although many companies get big breaks from it.”

Geez, this is beyond ridiculous. While people around the world struggel to fill out and pay their yearly taxes, Facebook is sitting pretty thanks to loopholes and will get a $429 million refund. The IRS is hunting down Americans that are living across the globe, yet they cant do a thing about Facebook. All thanks to the tax code and how it deals with stock options.

While millions will be angry, this is probably not enough for them to sign off from the site.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & IT