Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Re: Twitter and Facebook, meet Google Buzz

Postby CielOnTap on Fri May 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Apparently that is the complaint with one of the Toronto papers--to comment online, commenters must have a Facebook page. I had noticed that some commenters' names were blue which meant a mouseover their names would show a link. So it has become policy now and likely to restore some boundaries on the all comments all over the map that did come up on various articles. Basically, namecalling and insults and the like. Besides, it also means that if the paper had to seek some identifying information on a commentator, FB if given a warrant or subpoena would have to give that information.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Fri May 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Must be invited no less to become part of WhoSay. Quite the angle for social media control over image.
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby smitty on Sat May 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Smitty wrote:Facebook keeps on hammering names of facebook people that are my friends. Sorry but they are just members of our Gun Club, & not on the executive or are the workers that donate their time to keep this gun range running. So not friends of mine. I do not waste my time to even possiply open my self or addy to facebook. Worst then twitter I think, but then both are in another world, as far as I am concerned.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

How a Twitter post from a hungry regular restaurant customer resulted in his steak dinner meeting him at the airport! Would your restaurant be capable of achieving the same outcome if you were the VIP?
Last week, Peter Shankman posted the following on Twitter:

"Hey @Mortons — can you meet me at newark airport with a porthouse when I land in two hours? K, thanks. :)"

The entrepreneurial New Yorker tweeted his steak-dinner dreams before liftoff.

When he landed in Newark, a tuxedo-clad waiter from Morton's was waiting for him, full steak dinner in tow - a 24-ounce porterhouse steak, an order of colossal shrimp, a side of potatoes, a round of bread, two napkins and silverware.

"I. Was. Floored." Shankman wrote on his website.

Shankman took to his personal website to praise Morton's Steakhouse, calling the surprise steak the "greatest customer service story ever told".

Steak at the airport
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pretzels on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Meet Google+, which is competition for Facebook. Unlike Facebook though, Google + won't let contests or promotions be shown on one's pages.
Per Google’s Google+ Pages Contest and Promotion Policies section, Page admins are informed that they may not “run contests, sweepstakes, offers, coupons or other such promotions” on their Google+ Page. Instead, they may display a link on Google+ that points to a separate site where the Promotion is hosted.

http://finance.sfgate.com/hearst.sfgate/news/read?GUID=19912275
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby smitty on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Facebook has completed a lot of ways to get me to join up. Even showen friends on Facebook that belong to their unit.

Not realizing that if anyone is taking photos I will stay clear of them. Even in foced school student group photos I turned my head just as the shutter was about to go off. They could not recognize me when in competition of my basically dirt competition m/cs & same in road racing due to to the crash helmets, goggles in some cases, to visor of the full face helmet.

I came onto this board strictly with a handle & will stick to that as I do the same when yattering to fellow m/c riders to also on gun boards regarding some guns to also in reloading. True one m/c board is a bit peeved that I will not even show them a photo of myself or one of my bikes, BUT this is my bit of privacy.

Mind you someone got ahold of my e/mail address & removed my Favorites (such as this one) & flooded me with a maze of usless crap.

I mentioned this to the chap that is working on my left hip & he has had the same with a maze of advertising to Scam. So after three days a friend came around & corrected all of this mess.
smitty

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:23 pm

There was an item recently about a French IT firm whose top person wanted to end the email traffic amongst staff and directed them to use Facebook and and instant messaging platform, to save time. I have a question--is the company revising its policies over using social media? Is the company providing boundaries as to what can be said on those platforms? Is the company thinking about the fact that what is said on those platforms are on those IT companies servers and those companies could/do have different legal jurisdictions? Just some heavy thinking about the matter.

I'm sure there would be some topics that one would not be able to speak freely about on social media due to confidentiality (corporate, human resources, employment laws).

Wouldn't it be better to set up an instant messaging interface on the corporate website?

I will find the item to post a link here later.
*Update-found a link.
French IT firm bans email
Friday, 02 December 2011 08:19
Patrick Stafford
The chief executive of French IT firm Atos, Thierry Breton, will banish email from his workplace and will push staff towards alternatives such as text messaging and IM software.

Breton will implement the plan 18 months from now, with tens of thousands of employees across the world now being pushed onto features such as social media and even phone conversations.

Breton, who is a former finance minister, told Forbes that “email is no longer the appropriate tool”.

“It is time to think differently,” he told the publication. “Companies must prepare for the new wave of usage and behaviour.”http://www.smartcompany.com.au/information-technology/20111202-french-it-firm-bans-email.html
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby fishandchips on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Facebook users, you have 7 days to look over your timeline on Facebook before you show it to the world. Yes, Facebook is making everyone use the timeline profile.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/25/facebook-to-switch-all-users-to-timeline-profile
Once a user gets the timeline profile, they have seven days to preview what it shows, which Facebook says gives people "a chance to add or hide whatever you want before anyone else sees it."

Google's privacy policy has been making the rounds this week too:
Once a user gets the timeline profile, they have seven days to preview what it shows, which Facebook says gives people "a chance to add or hide whatever you want before anyone else sees it."

Right now, users of Google products have to agree to a new set of privacy policy and terms of services almost every time they sign up for a new service.

This leaves them with an option to opt out of certain services like Google+ or Picasa.

After the new policy comes into effect, user information from most Google products will be treated as a single trove of data, which the company could use for its targeted advertising dollars, raising potential red flags for anti-trust regulators.

“If you’re signed in, we may combine information you’ve provided from one service with information from other services,” Google’s director of privacy, product and engineering, Alma Whitten wrote in blog post.

Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby pretzels on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Facebook fans, your social media host is keeping you edging towards new things. Good for you or time to say no more changes?

Lots of stores do their promotions and giveaways on Facebook. Have to have an account to "Like" a vendor in order to participate (critical number of likes releases coupons or samples, ballot for contest).
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 am

Here’s how to find out what Google knows about you
Published 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Emily Jackson
Staff Reporter

Google thinks I’m a 35-44 year old man. Considering I’m a couple of days shy of a mid-twenties birthday, that’s slightly depressing.

Curious to know who Google thinks you are?

The seemingly all-knowing search engine — which announced its plan to share information across its search, Gmail and YouTube platforms this week — might know less about you than you think.

After exploring Google’s new privacy policy, technology reporter Sarah Kessler at Mashable discovered Google thought she was a middle-aged man based on her interests in business, computers and the Internet.http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1121693--here-s-how-to-find-out-what-google-knows-about-you

Fun extrapolation based on what ads are perceived to be connected to certain demographic groups.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Computers & IT