Apple iPad and other wonders

Apple iPad and other wonders

Postby burnt fare on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Apple fans eagerly touch and swipe first iPads
Now that the iPad is in the hands of early adopters, the hard work for Apple Inc. begins.

By JESSICA MINTZ

AP Technology Writer

SEATTLE —
Now that the iPad is in the hands of early adopters, the hard work for Apple Inc. begins.

Eager customers intent on being among the first owners of this new class of gadgetry stood in long lines across the country Saturday. They seemed willing to buy first - and discover uses for the iPad later.

In some ways, it was reminiscent of the lines and hoopla surrounding the 2007 launch of the first iPhone. The difference: People knew then that the iPhone would replace their existing cell phone, an appliance that has become a must-have for everyone from uber-geeks to stay-at-home moms.

With the iPad, which fits somewhere between phone and computer, Apple must convince people who already have smart phones, laptops, e-book readers, set-top boxes and home broadband connections that they need another device that serves many of the same purposes.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011517460_apustecappleipad12thldwritethru.html

Swipe means steal or put one's card through the card terminal. Odd choice of word. Apple gizmo still gets people to lineup for the latest device.

Then there are those who buy iPads and take them apart--just as happened with the iPods of the past:
http://topics.signonsandiego.com/photo/0aGsfmyfzgcqq?q=Virginia

Apple's iPad unearthed: Samsung, LG appear
Gabriel Madway
RICHMOND, Virginia
Sat Apr 3, 2010 5:08pm EDT
(Reuters) - Luke Soules was one of the first on the planet to get his hands on an iPad. And he wasted no time taking it apart.

Technology | Media

After staking out three locations in the Eastern United States, Soules -- co-founder of teardown firm iFixit -- cracked the device open on Saturday to unearth NAND flash memory by Samsung Electronics, an LCD display from LG Display and microchips from Broadcom Corp, Texas Instruments Inc and NXP Semiconductor.

Soules and his outfit provide and advise on components in Apple gadgets -- and also identifies them. The work of teardown firms such as iFixit may prove crucial in identifying which manufacturer gets its parts into a device expected to sell upwards of 5 million units in 2010 alone.

Soules had slept overnight in the parking lot outside an Apple mall store in Richmond, Virginia. He was the first to walk out of the store, moments after the outlet opened at 9 a.m., iPad in hand. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6321B320100403
Burger time
burnt fare

Re: Apple iPad and other wonders

Postby CielOnTap on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocanada/100419/canada/the_ipad__a_cat_s_perspective

Two Youtube videos are in the link, one of a cat and one of a dog being encouraged by their owners to play with an iPad.

I think the dog is worrying about reflections. The cat seems to be playing with a strange visual sound app--green intestinal tract (could that be an option by the user, which visual representation of sound is used?)

Both owners seems ok with the idea that their units are going to get some rough handling--I'm sure that would nullify any warranty on screens.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri May 28, 2010 7:50 am

According to CBC Newsworld, there were 800 people lined up outside Yorkdale Mall's (Toronto, ON) store for the iPad launch. The store opened at 8:00 a.m.

Technology writer was on the morning program a few minutes ago and said the device is between an iPhone and laptop. Drawbacks-no keyboard unless you purchase one, no phone/video features, no drives--must buy the entertainment through the online store.

CityTV's BT show just announced a winner of the iPad and 1 year of free service--there was a photo competion of some kind.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby pysanky on Fri May 28, 2010 12:13 pm

More dust magnet for average person. Good item for plane or waiting room visits, if credit card has room for spending and buying e-items. ;)
Happy New Year-2015 now on scene.
pysanky

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Adults see benefits for children playing together with an iPad. But I imagine any round of "mine!" will result in some expensive repair after a dispute in a tug of war between kids.

Is iPad the next big toy for toddlers?
June 17, 2010
Nicole Baute LIVING REPORTER

But, will they break it?

Three-year-old Zane is a bit of a chatterbox, but he stops talking the moment he's handed an iPad, shiny and new. He's silent. Focused. Fifteen seconds in, he carefully taps an icon of an orange cat. On his first try, he has found a colouring game.

With little help, Zane figures out how to navigate Apple's newest toy, pressing the little black button to get out of apps and find new ones to explore. He paints a fish orange and a bus purple on Colour Me HD, spells “camel,” “bird” and “panda,” on FirstWords: Animals, and composes some kind of masterpiece on the Smule Magic Piano.

Zane's mother, Barbara Fine, says that even though her son is computer-savvy and loves to play Nintendo Wii, she was impressed by how easily he figured out the iPad, with few questions. “He hasn't handed it to me and said, ‘Show me what to do,' ” she says.http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/news%20%20features/article/824100--is-ipad-the-next-big-toy-for-toddlers

Jargon spotted!
Children born between the mid-1990s and 2010 are tech-savvy, globally connected and comfortable with or even dependent on technology, says a recent report by Grail Research, an international consulting and market research firm based in Cambridge, Mass. They are “digital natives” or “generation Z.”

What will generation A mean, since the end of the alphabet has been attained?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby guitarblues on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:29 am

That's some disposable income if folks can manage to give the youngers expensive play pad to use. What about teaching kids to appreciate simpler things while young, so they can learn to appreciate more valuable things later? Lack of empathy or respect for other's things?
You'll be smiling if you sing some songs.
guitarblues

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Samsung gives free phones to iPhone users
By QMI Agency

Last Updated: July 24, 2010 4:25pm
Samsung is so confident that their Galaxy S phone is better than Apple's iPhone 4 that the company is giving them away to victims of Antennagate.

Tech magazine Wired confirmed with the company that it's contacting frustrated iPhone users online and offering them a free Samsung phone. Over the past weeks, Apple has received a lot of criticism that its newest iPhone loses reception when held a certain way. Apple CEO Steve Jobs also came under fire from other phone providers when he said the reception problem is common among all phones — including Samsung's Omnia II. http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/07/24/14815891.html

Antennagate is the name the online world gave to Consumer Reports' discovery of the new iPhone's reception fault: squeeze on the lower left side of the phone and there goes the reception. Apple responded to the problem by saying it would offer phone cases to help users avoid squeezing the spot. But some users want a repair, not a case.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Winner of 10 billionth app prize hangs up on Apple
Published On Mon Jan 24 2011
Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter
Apple had a hard time convincing both the winner and the developer that they’d hit the jackpot with the 10 billionth downloaded iPhone application.

“I thought it was a prank call and I declined to take it,” Gail Davis of Orpington, Kent, told the BBC. She hung up, only to be persuaded by her app-downloading daughters that Apple was serious. “I had a moment of blind panic, but thankfully Apple called me back.”

Davis won a $10,000 iTunes gift card, which is a lot of 99-cent TV shows or songs. http://www.thestar.com/business/article/927067--winner-of-10-billionth-app-prize-hangs-up-on-apple
:D That's funny, hanging up on Apple! The winner might wish to find an app to keep track of her contest entries in the future.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 am

Did you know that your new iPhone or iPad could be tracking you? Two researchers found that out when they looked at their devices during some research work. One researcher has determined that his phone has logged him since he began using the device.

Where have you been? Your iPhone and iPad know
Published On Wed Apr 20 2011

Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter
Your iPhone 4 or your iPad 3G are recording all of your movements and storing the information in easy-to-access files, two British scientists revealed on Wednesday.

Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden stumbled upon the unencrypted data buried inside their iPhones while working on another project. They presented their findings at a conference in Santa Clara, Calif.

“All iPhones appear to log your location to a file called ‘consolidated.db,” Allan said in a YouTube video he and Warden made about the discovery. “This contains latitude and longitude coordinated along with a time-stamp. The coordinates aren’t always exact, but they are pretty detailed.” http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/apple/article/977723--where-have-you-been-your-iphone-and-ipad-know
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby smitty on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Just glad that the only hard to understand electronical things are my natural gas furnace, oven, Microwave, deep freeze, to my radio & confusing TV set at times, PLUS the present PC. No cellular phone to me or the maze of other pads or whatever they are called.

I was watching in interesting matter of a modern family, in England to go back to the 70s time, & every so often it would update, so more modern things in life.

Obviously I was sort of born in the depression & since my parents have passed away the sort of dual chesterfields were custom made in '36 & though changed a bit they have stayed the same since '55. True we had an oven that flunked to many times to where I use a mobile & smaller Black & Decker unit that can do small jobs, like cook things for 20 minutes while the Microwave will not. Also the Microwave was a new step in the 80s, broke down, cost $250.00 to correct & finally broke down again last year to find a NEW of the same make was around $160,00.

I am still looking at an UPRIGHT deep freeze I remember we purchased in '55 & it still does the job, but it is ideal as it is not so massive as a normal deep freeze.

My 1990 Mazda 2600 4X4 truck with not a mark on it to the addition of a drop top so no one could reach inside & I could see behind me-----this would still be in action ONLY the electronic boare, on the passenger side failed & would could not be obtained so the '06 Subaru Forster being a min-SUV. I even had them remove the modern radio set up for use of CDs, for an older on with automatic rewind casette since I have over 100 of cassette & no time to monkey around with CDs, when in fact the Radio is tuned into Classical music so no fiddeling around with CDs or the radio.
smitty

Next

Return to Computers & IT