International Space Station

Re: International Space Station

Postby smitty on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Believe me pysanky if I had a million dollars it would be spent on staying on EARTH, to Canada, rather then travelling & on costs of simply surviving as I am now to later on in life. I could not see myself wasting money on a sort of thrill.

You struggle to reach the base of a mountain, in Canada or anyplace in the world, & you are relieved after the hours or days you have spent. The glory is if you can reach the summit & take in all the beauty from different heights & I have only climbed mountains in Canada. That to me is all I need in life.

Mind you doing the above has required a lot of training to get yourself in shape, to more easy climbs which tacks on as EXPERIENCE one needs in mountaineering.

You ride a m/c which again requires a lot of training to staying UPRIGHT all the time, which so many have never dared to try, so there is another thing in life & you feel soft of like a bird.

Funny thing I am to meet a chap in Penticton & his home/shop is a bit tricky to find to even. meet him at the said Tim Horton's Place FOR when driving a car or riding a m/c my concentration is on the traffic to the humans that might step on the road rather then noting the buillding sprouting up. That is why I say one needs FULL CONCENTERATION on the traffic when riding & not said buildings. That is also why I try to avoid towns & stick to the mountain roads with all the twisties to bend to you name it for THAT is m/cing the way I do it.

The immediate above is probably why I have never had a m/c or car/truck accident with others when driving/riding all 64 yrs & now started 65 yrs on my Subaru.
smitty

Postby flipflop on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Europe wants a decision in 2010 on an extension to the life of the International Space Station (ISS). At the moment, no programme for its use nor any funding has been put in place to support the platform beyond 2015. But the European Space Agency's (Esa) Director General, Jean-Jacques Dordain, told the BBC the uncertainty was undermining best use of the ISS. He said he was persuaded of its worth, and expressed the desire to keep flying the station until at least 2020.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8456632.stm

Millions still being spent and for what? Why keep putting that kind of money in when they will shut it down in the next 5-10 years. What happens to the Space Station when the "CLOSED" sign goes up? More space junk that could one day land in your backyard?
flipflop
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby CielOnTap on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Space: A (partly) Canadian frontier
Published On Thu Sep 2 2010
ANDREW CHUNG
QUEBEC BUREAU

MONTREAL—Freshly selected to command the International Space Station, astronaut Chris Hadfield characterized the opportunity as a coup for Canada among nations exploring space.

Hadfield, an experienced astronaut, will lead the station and its six crew during the latter half of a six-month stay that begins in December 2012.

“To be trusted with their lives and with that entire station on behalf of all the world’s space-faring nations, most specifically on behalf of Canada is a tremendous honour,” Hadfield said.

The announcement Thursday at Canadian Space Agency headquarters in Longueuil, Que., is another feather in the cap of Canada’s space program. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/855781--space-a-partly-canadian-frontier

How is Hadfield getting to the ISS--by Russian rocket?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Marcia Dunn Sat Oct 9 2010
Space double: Identical twin astronauts to become first blood relatives to join up in orbit
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - The stars may have finally aligned for the world's only space sibling team. Astronaut Scott Kelly is circling the planet, fresh into a space station mission. His identical twin, Mark, will join him next year, if NASA's shuttle schedule holds up. Together, they will become the first blood relatives to meet up in space.

"It's something we hoped would happen," Mark said. "It wasn't done by design. But we're fortunate. I think it will be fun for us."

Scott is the International Space Station's next commander. He took off aboard a Russian Soyuz rocket early Friday — texting and joking with his brother right until launch. http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/266159--space-double-identical-twin-astronauts-to-become-first-blood-relatives-to-join-up-in-orbit

Twins in Space sounds like a comedy sketch. Are the twins different-handed so that other astronauts can tell them apart?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 pm

>

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -the-works

Who would have thought: A "space fence" to protect the station. Since space junk is growing in numbers it is needed to keep them safe. Too bad they have to wait almost 4 years to get one.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 pm

After spending nearly six months aboard the International Space Station, three spacefliers returned home to Earth on Monday.

NASA astronaut Mike Fossum, Japanese astronaut Satoshi Furukawa and Russian cosmonaut Sergei Volkov departed from the space station and landed on the frigid, windy Central Asian steppes of Kazakhstan at about 9:26 p.m. ET Monday (8:26 a.m. local time Tuesday).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45395566/ns ... ssmEFbZeuI

Not the nice comfy landing they were accustomed to in the past in warm sunny Florida. They are home, but thanks to high winds they ended up on their side.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby southernfry on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Beautiful shot and a reminder that we are part of a much larger picture in this
universe.

msnbc:
The International Space Station can be seen as a small object in lower right of this image of the moon in the early evening Jan. 4 in the skies over the Houston area flying at an altitude of 390.8 kilometers.

Running to the border for bbq sauce
southernfry

Postby CielOnTap on Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 pm

The special rocket, SpaceX, that is the courier of supplies to the International Space Station, has reached the ISS and docked.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cargo/spacex_index.html

This particular launch is noteworthy for being the first rocket to get to the ISS and for carrying the cremated remains of the Star Trek actor who portrayed ship engineer, Scotty.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cargo/spacex_launch.html Mentions made of the firsts for this launch and what criteria were used to select the cargo.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby mousepad on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Christmas in orbit might not look exactly like the holidays on Earth, but the astronauts living on the International Space Station this holiday season try to make the orbiting science laboratory as homey as possible.

The six members of the station's Expedition 34 crew, three of whom just arrived last week, are spending Christmas and New Years Day aboard the spacecraft, but that doesn't mean they don't get to celebrate. Hundreds of miles above the Earth's surface, the spaceflyers eat, exchange gifts, and try to be merry during Christmas and when welcoming in the New Year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50293906/ns ... NshDKzNmSo

Happy Holidays to the Space Station Astronauts. A great view of the world and a chance to watch Santa make his rounds. The only downside would be the big meal. I can't imagine packaged Turkey and trimmings is as good as the real deal.
Cheese Please!
mousepad

Postby fishandchips on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:34 pm

The 21st century still has not managed to make a kettle of tea a reality for daily life on the ISS. I'd need a proper couple of cups to get through daily life on the metal prefab station. Freeze-dried desserts would not take the edge off wanting a custard or other creamy dessert.

The astronauts don't seem worried about not having shuttles to get rides home on. Convergence of sci-fi writing meets realities of commuting to/from ISS by rocket is just unsettling to consider.
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

PreviousNext

Return to Space