Branson's version of Space

Re: Branson's version of Space

Postby pretzels on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Could the ship names be more predictable-Eve for mothership and Enterprise (hey, Star Trek fans, report)? How about Big Richard for the launchship and Branson One for the suborbital ship? Gee, that was easy!
Old salt on board.
pretzels

Postby signs on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:45 pm

A bit of an overkill having the Virgin name all over the outside. It's not like people don't know who owns the plane.

The first solo flight was a success:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... first-time

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby signs on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:11 pm

The US$209 million ($263 million) taxpayer-financed spaceport will be a launch station for people and payloads on the rocket ships being developed for Virgin Galactic.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=10760048

200,000 per person for a 2 hour flight. A lot of money on a hope that it will work and be safe. Nice to see that Branson is not wasting money
on a whim. :lol:
Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
signs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby smitty on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

I tend to like my feet on the ground rather then in space.

I have put in some fast speeds on road racing circuits, with a fast m/c (factory model in 1950) & so not on the paved roads like some riders of these days.

That to me has been my thrilling years in life. Now I just like to handle a modern sportbike that can travel at a nice pace & feel like I am actually flying.
smitty

Postby Speak-Ez on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 pm

I'd like to know what sort of physical checkups will be required for those that want to do a flight? There has to be some sort of control in that field. Can't just let anyone climb on board one of those birds and be subjected to high Gs and then weightlessness and then whatever will put stress on the body during re-entry.

And what sort of emergency procedures will be approved? You start hauling paxs around and all sorts of regulations come into play. I don't think the bird itself will still be classified as "experimental" when they plan to go commercial.

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deja vu on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Here's a link to the SpacePort site:

http://www.spaceportamerica.com/

I took a glance around the site and their FAQ area, but I haven't come across anything that deals with passenger health or what they would do in an emergency. For now they seem to be totally focusing on the construction of the port and surrounding area, management, job opportunities, etc.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keychain on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo space tourism rocket crashed during a test flight over the Mojave Desert Friday, killing one of the two pilots aboard and seriously injuring the other. No cause of the crash has yet been determined.

Speaking at a press conference, Stuart Witt, CEO of the Mojave Air and Space Port, where the test took place, confirmed that an “inflight anomaly” occurred about two minutes after SpaceShipTwo was released from WhiteKnightTwo, the 'mothership' plane that carries it to a high altitude.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/ ... 553581797/

Hope there wont be a second death in this or any future flights, but what we need to learn is the cause. Can it be corrected or a problem that may keep the tourism
flights grounded?
Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
you'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag, 

keychain

Previous

Return to Space