Enterprise in 20 Years?

Enterprise in 20 Years?

Postby out in space on Sat May 12, 2012 1:42 pm

In Star Trek lore, the first Starship Enterprise will be built by the year 2245. But today, an engineer has proposed — and outlined in meticulous detail — building a full-sized, ion-powered version of the Enterprise complete with 1G of gravity on board, and says it could be done with current technology, within 20 years.

"We have the technological reach to build the first generation of the spaceship known as the USS Enterprise — so let's do it," writes the curator of the Build The Enterprise website, who goes by the name of BTE Dan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47396187/ns ... 66tC1LBPKc

Whoever put this together gave it a lot of thought. Realistically though, 20 years seems to be more of a pipe dream for now. I can't see the United States Congress okaying this for NASA, and I doubt someone will privately fund such a huge project.
Beam me up!
out in space
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Enterprise in 20 Years?

Postby CielOnTap on Sun May 13, 2012 4:48 pm

For all of the fan conventions that feature Star Trek themes and panels, I'm not aware if one convention has debated the budget and realism needed to make the Enterprise an actual functioning vessel on planet Earth or a space-build for that International Space Station (which is due to wind-down in some years' time, less than 20).
There is no Federation either but in-line more with the Babylon 5 universe through the television series and movies, something happened to the first four versions of the Babylon projects in space. By the time that Babylon 5 is made functional, it is something of an international gateway to Earth and to other worlds.

It is likely that the first version of the Enterprise might be more landworthy than spaceworthy.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Enterprise in 20 Years?

Postby smitty on Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 am

The idea above about building another space-ship is costly, but interesting.

When one thinks of it the maze of Robots that the USA has built will be the answer of dropping off a few on some of the places they have in mind, rather then controlled by USA is of some interest & coud be the answers.

I am sent staggering to find in this world the USA robots can have wings& can sit on a power line or telephone line to take a maze of photos that can be sent back to HQ is hard to believe, but it is happening SO that means another world to me as an old human being.
smitty

Return to Space