Another Landing on Mars

Another Landing on Mars

Postby Speak-Ez on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Earthlings are once again intending to violate Martian airspace with another landing attempt on August 6th at 05:31 GMT (here on Earth); August 5th in California (still on Earth) at 22:31hrs.

I haven't read about any protests being scheduled by any Martians, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering there weren't any protests reported when previous successful landings took place.

Yes, there are some that doubt there are any Martians on that planet to protest these uninvited Earth landings, but I suspect the failed attempts were actually landings the Martians managed to thwart and kept quiet about it in case any of the space agencies on Earth decided to sue the Martians for ruining some pretty expensive equipment. There's probably a Martian museum where they exhibit the equipment they captured.

I also suspect the Martians are getting a big kick out of playing hide-and-seek with the few spy vehicles Earthlings have been allowed to put on Martian territory looking for the Martians, especially the protestors. I can imagine all the news up there about how the Earthlings haven't found "us" yet and should we give them a little clue. Maybe stick a glass of water out on some little mound for a spy vehicle to take a picture of and then remove it. Chuckle - chuckle -- you silly Earthlings. Like we're really going to show ourselves to you money-hungry folks that just want to steal all our riches.

Okay, maybe I should turn you over to this piece by NPR which caught my attention because I see no reference to a date of the landing in any of the text. Seems a rather odd thing for a journalist to do, even if that date and time is in the interview, which I'm not interested in listening to. But NPR might be sort of safe in most respects and does seem to have included some neat images and all. Just wish they had gone the extra step in all that text they provided and have told the Earth people when this landing will take place. Maybe there is some sympathy for the Martians in the offices at NPR and they decided to withhold that information.

Of course, we provide the information in the first line above.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/03/157597270 ... h-20120803

________Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.________
Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Landing on Mars

Postby deja vu on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 pm

First they have to figure out what a Martian really looks like. Maybe like one of these 3 that are so well known.

Marvin the Martian From Loonie Tunes/Merrie Melodies:

The Great Gazoo from The Flintstones:

Or closer in appearance to us as in My Favorite Martian:

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby out in space on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

After eight years of planning and eight months of interplanetary travel, NASA's Mars Science Laboratory is expected to pull off a touchdown of Super Bowl proportions without any further human assistance.

The $2.5 billion probe is right on target for its designated landing zone in 96-mile-wide (154-kilometer-wide) Gale Crater — so much on target that mission managers decided to pass up their last scheduled opportunity to upload fresh data on the spacecraft's position, said mission team member John Essmiller.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48511087/ns ... n=(organic)

Three hours and counting. Hopefully the epic landing goes without a hitch or you may see some NASA types pulling the hair
out of their heads. The stress must be enormous for them to succeed.
Beam me up!
out in space
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Let me post the link to NASA's page where it seems the latest information is provided to the public on the Internet. Looks like just under two hours until it touches down.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/n ... osity.html

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I think the following link will be much better:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

And here we have NASA TV broadcasting live.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speak-Ez on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 am

LOOKS LIKE THEY DID IT!

And they just received an image of one of the wheels.

Speak-Ez
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alohasand on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Imagine how much time would be needed to construct a Martian version of the Weather Network or a building to take weather recordings and broadcast them to other Martian inhabitants and the folks back on Earth. Could all that red sand be made into bricks? With what wetting and jointing compounds? Then the side issue of breathing gear because the atmosphere is not breathable yet.
Staycation=stay at home and do fun things inexpensively.
alohasand

Postby Rhet-or-Ric on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:47 am

The buzz going around is that Curiosity has found something very interesting. Might be a little while before we are told what it is, but there are some already stating it is a big deal.

I was trying very hard to remember if I dropped a pencil or pen last time I visited there. I thought I left no traces behind, but Arnold -- well, he gets a little sloppy sometimes when we go on long trips like that.

The Eyes Have It.
Rhet-or-Ric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 am

I thought I left no traces behind, but Arnold -- well, he gets a little sloppy sometimes when we go on long trips like that.

This Arnold? Should never put a backpack on a pig, they are bound to lose something.

The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby deja vu on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

Can't get to Mars?

Here's the next best thing, minus the extreme temperatures.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/new-call ... -1.1052839

Canada's last asbestos mine, now winding down its operations, may have a new celestial calling — as a stand-in for planet Mars.

Quebec's Jeffrey Mine hosted nearly two-dozen scientists recently for a simulated Mars mission initiated by Canada's space agency. The scientists from four universities made a pair of trips to the Asbestos region, this year and last year, accompanied by a micro-rover.

"There are definitely areas (on Mars) that are much more like what we have at Jeffrey Mine," said Ed Cloutis, a University of Winnipeg professor who participated in the project.
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Space